The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Amazing craftsmanship!

...I can just see the North American redneck version: A brake drum from a Ford Fairlane, a set of metallic brake pads and a clutch disk from??? :car::D

...preferably salvaged. :wrench:

you actually recognized original parts , which Metaldanske just painted

in fact - that's just a hoax - big inductor is fake - chipamp is hidden inside

:devily:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Amazing craftsmanship!

...I can just see the North American redneck version: A brake drum from a Ford Fairlane, a set of metallic brake pads and a clutch disk from??? :car::D

Redneck Tennessee version - location up in da hills - no trespassers allowed.

Attachments

• still fig7-14.jpg
    still fig7-14.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 331

WAY TOO SMALL. Man, this is Class A; you gotta think big! Get one of those there Peterbuilt, or maybe a Mac, or Freightliner brake drums and clutch disks! There's a D-9 CAT down the street--I wonder if the owners would let me borrow one of its brake assemblies from the shop. :p

I just want to take a moment to thank all the nice people
who sent me treats over the holidays, many of them
anonymously.

You know who you are. :cool:

Here's one :

Good work guy's, i'm sure Nelson is going to love this bottle :) sip it well, listen to some music, and appreciate the class a :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Buuh:cool: Any hot amp building goin' on around here?? Have been away for a while, and really dont bother reading through a ton of threads;)

really really really miss ya old geezer !

:D

regarding amps - naah , except Magura's Donut - nothing really special ; :clown:

Papa made few sissy new amps , so song remains the same ......... greedy boyz are always waiting for next one ..... :rofl:

now seriously - look for FW J2 , call Metaldanske to inform ya about new power Jfets and wait little more - Wizzard of FWozz is cookin' his own output device somewhere ( looks to me - same as David Manley somewhere in ancient time ordered KT90 from EI RC )

in a meantime - cascoded LU is right after slice of bread ; nothing in between , despite usual Papaland hysteria

:cheers:

Buuh:cool: Any hot amp building goin' on around here?? Have been away for a while, and really dont bother reading through a ton of threads;)

Hmm, does a revival of the Drek count? :D

I seem to recall you also got one of those, but then again, don't you pretty much have one of anything made between 2005 and 2009?

In this case it's the PSU of the Drek that's of interest. A Shunty on steroids :cool:

Besides that, at least in my humble opinion, it's all business as usual here.

A couple of links to the Donut, and the Danish DIY event:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/133433-choky-susy-f3-lu1014s-14.html#post2043053

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/150816-diy-event-denmark-16.html#post2050941

Magura :)

Thanks a lot guys, you are much too kind having missed me like that:eek: Nice talking to you again. I missed you too:) and thanks for the update.

I think I did build the circuitry for "SUSY-LUCY", ZM's initial schematic (in Lego-style). Must be in a box somewhere so I better dig that out to play with.

The Drek counts indeed. Being the weirdest preamp ever, counts a lot:D
BTW, I probably did built almost everything Pass'ish, in that period you mention. Man that was great fun.....

Magura, those amps are smokin' pieces of art, but you better crank up the bias if they run only 29 deg C. Can't possibly sound good, being freezin cold like that;)

The Drek counts indeed. Being the weirdest preamp ever, counts a lot:D
BTW, I probably did built almost everything Pass'ish, in that period you mention. Man that was great fun.....

Magura, those amps are smokin' pieces of art, but you better crank up the bias if they run only 29 deg C. Can't possibly sound good, being freezin cold like that;)

It's about to become the weirdest amp, in the weirdest boxes as well, emitting a really weird amount of heat :D

As for the Donuts, well, the temperature rise of the box, is a bit misleading, as each fet is fed 3A :cool:
I actually tried feeding them 4.5A per fet, but it made no difference.

To be honest, I don't feel like pushing the fets over the edge, as replacing them, will result in a few days of work.
Had it not been so much trouble to replace them, I'd have turned the bias up till they blew, just to see if the sound would change on the way.

Magura :)