The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:eek:

you will need a big box to put all the chokes and caps in!

I can understand the standard part of it but not quite shure about the many, many 250V /25000uF caps wich are more or less connected via some diodes and a triac:xeye: :xeye:

Maybe we can get an explanation after we thought about it for a few days?

William

P.S. not quite shure=no clue at all:D

Here are a few pictures of the parts we’re accumulating for a bench prototype of this power supply. You'll have to follow the links -- for some reason the IMG code isn't working for me today.

Thumbnails:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pictures:
Collecting parts...
Reforming capacitors...
Hooking stuff up...

-Casey Walsh

SmarmyDog said:
But then again, it also looks like Squidward getting blasted by the Flying Dutchman...

Think i spotted another SpongeBob lover on the block, Casey.
In my humble opinion the best kids(and nerds) cartoon ever, with Bob's help i converted the kids from Pokemon and Yu-Gi-O.

Last night i had a nightmare :
i dreamt i finally acquired the ultimate "made in the USA" amplifier, when i opened the beast all these " made in Holland " caps were staring at me !

As the shephard in Germany, i am very interested in some details about the setup of the PS by the 3 Ampeteers.

Thanks for showing the pictures, Casey.

Jacco

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
wuffwaff said:
[Byou will need a big box to put all the chokes and caps in!

I can understand the standard part of it but not quite shure about the many, many 250V /25000uF caps wich are more or less connected via some diodes and a triac:xeye: :xeye: [/B]

This is what you get when the designer doesn't have to build it.

:cool:

The arrangement of the caps is to best utilize the parts on hand.
Since this amp will have a balanced output stage for maximum
power (monster amp, remember?) the best use of 250 V
capacitors is from the + to - rails, giving 4 times the energy
storage. Since very little current will flow to ground, only a
nominal amount of capacitance need be provided from the rails
to ground.

Saw the Sponge Bob movie yesterday when it opened. Best
parts are the first few minutes, Davis Hasselhoff, and the last
minute after the credits.

:Pirate:

It's not so much a code as a set of guidlines... Aaaarrrrrrrr.

Nelson Pass said:

This is what you get when the designer doesn't have to build it.

Saw the Sponge Bob movie yesterday when it opened. Best
parts are the first few minutes, Davis Hasselhoff, and the last
minute after the credits.

:Pirate:

It's not so much a code as a set of guidlines... Aaaarrrrrrrr.

Yes i am furiously working on the chassis layouts now. I have figured out a way to fit everything very compactly into a 18x24x10" high chassis (not including amp section) but it gets very convaluted to do so. a more elegant layout would end up being 18W x 30L x 15H or so.... Still working on it....

N.P. Do you have Kids? or are you just a sponge bob fan?

Now there is a thought, the man himself Nelson Pass sitting in a theater full of kids, popcorn in hand watching a sponge bob movie hahahahahAHAHAHHAHAAHA

Me Thinks N.P is a Big Kid Himself! Like ME! :p

Zero

jacco vermeulen said:
Philips capacitors ? Barfffffffffffffffffff.

On another subject, i am totally impressed !

Hey, If you would like to supply us with 240, thats right TWO HUNDRED FORTY!!!!! :att'n: (40 per amp x 6 amp channels) 25,000uF 250V caps of your favorite brand free of charge for our Lil project! We will be glad to use them!

Otherwise we are quite happy to help Casey make some extra room in his shop and put to good use what he is graciously supplying to the project!

Zero

The best cartoon ever, hands down, was the original Jonny Quest series from the '60s--particularly for those who dreamed of growing up to be Mad Scientists. Later incarnations of Jonny Quest weren't worth a plugged nickel. Avoid them at all costs. The original JQ episodes are now available on DVD. All transfers are good except The Robot Spy, which tends to pixellate when the action gets going.
That show had it all: Plot, action, near-Disney animation quality, great music, fantastic foes (frequently the nefarious Doctor Zin), the works. We shall not see its like again.

Grey

P.S.: One supposes that Doctor Zin listens to his evil music on a Zin amplifier, sort of an anti-Zen, with forty-eight gain stages, 10,000dB of negative feedback, and a dinky power supply inadequate even for a table radio.

Zero Cool said:
Hey, If you would like to supply us

Dear Dave, i am very sorry that i only have a moment for a quick word.
If the US surplus is flooding with Philips caps logic commands that there should be a huge pile of Mallory's and Spragues just waiting for me at some Dutch surplus store.
And I..WILL...find them !!

Even Mark Levinson uses Philips in his 300 series, picture attached.

I was born 20 miles from the Philips factories.
Should my venture not succeed, then i may put a stocking over my head and jump over their fences to seek out their old stash there.

If succesfull i may be able to help you out then, fingers crossed.

I thought David Hasselhoff was banned from kiddy movies after they found out he had a romantic liaisson with his "Kit"car ?

Attachments

• ml333power.jpg
    ml333power.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,505
GRollins said:
The best cartoon ever, hands down, was the original Jonny Quest series from the '60s--particularly for those who dreamed of growing up to be Mad

That was me !
Strange maybe, but everyone in jonny quest looked like James Dean.

The master is always right, "his" is not correct.
Even Cello still seems to be Mark Levinson.

And Madrigal apparantly is Harmon Kardon.
Oh well, Roederstein became Vishay, Siemens turned into Matshushita, i havent got a clue what Philips did with BC.

To me it seems that Mark's moves set the blueprint for someone at the Threshold Co, in a much more elegant way.
I am sure i am not the only one who feels pleased with the recognisable appearance of the X/XA amplifiers, some things should never change.

Mind you, it feels like a decennium ago when i started downloading Pass articles from Passlabs, later PassDIY.

Had Mr Levinson been such a gentleman, he might have done so with Cello.
Maybe if he reads these lines he may set up a corner at Red Rose.
Naaaaahhh, i am talking garbage again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.