The Othorn tapped horn

Would there be better performance with two 18 inch drivers such as void v18 or oberton 18XB1300 (less than £500 for a pair) than 1 B&C driver thats £550

If you need a cheaper 21" use the Lavoce SAN214.50. It still performs very well. The cheaper drivers do not do as well in these enclosures. Typically they lack the displacement capability to produce sufficient headroom to go with the deep extension.

Google 21" Devastator.

Ok...???
Those are bigger cabs than the Othorn, with a much lower native tuning and a rougher response shape. Intended for HT not for pro audio or music playback. Also a different design type, which I'm pretty sure were born from looking at my MAUL, Skhorn and Skram designs. ;)

That's fine...More power to the DIYer's but the design goals with the 2 designs is quite different.

Ok...???
Those are bigger cabs than the Othorn, with a much lower native tuning and a rougher response shape. Intended for HT not for pro audio or music playback. Also a different design type, which I'm pretty sure were born from looking at my MAUL, Skhorn and Skram designs. ;)

That's fine...More power to the DIYer's but the design goals with the 2 designs is quite different.

Definitely true statements! The point was you can have cheaper drivers perform just as well as expensive drivers. In the $29 JBL 12 thread ol n avsforum.com, they are comparing a four 12" Devastator versus a single 21" Devastator. The HR model looks good! $120 worth of subs vs a single $450-750 sub is HUGE win in my book.

4-12's Sd =2204cm2.
21" Sd =1680cm2.

Last edited:
Definitely true statements! The point was you can have cheaper drivers perform just as well as expensive drivers. In the $29 JBL 12 thread ol n avsforum.com, they are comparing a four 12" Devastator versus a single 21" Devastator. The HR model looks good! $120 worth of subs vs a single $450-750 sub is HUGE win in my book.

4-12's Sd =2204cm2.
21" Sd =1680cm2.

Multiple cheaper drivers in more cabinet can equal or outperform a single expensive driver. No arguments there.

I found the thread. ;)

Joined 2007
Paid Member

4-12's Sd =2204cm2.
21" Sd =1680cm2.

this sounds interesting, could I have a link?

Whoa, that seems to be quite a bit of square-pegging / round-holing going on.

1. The drivers are high-Qts drivers, usually not the best match for 6th order systems like that design. An offset-driver, 4th order BP alignment (like my Enigma sub) may be a better match for drivers with those specs.

2. There's a whopping 15dB range difference in the passband, effectively negating one of the major advantages of bandpass designs - reducing distortion

3. That's one big-*** box. Four separate boxes, one for each 12" driver, would be much more versatile and easy to handle.

The original 18"/21" Devastator was designed to have that 90hz peak for more mid bass indoors for music listening too. That's why I can't wait for Chris to post indoor measurements to see if room gain flattens the response.

I agree with a BP4 enclosure for high Q woofers though. I tried modeling Parts Express' GRS 12SW4 in BP6's and the graphs are terrible. BP4 graphs look a TON better.

Most of the guys in that thread are in the $29 JBL thread, Tactical Response thread, Near field, Bass EQ thread, all the Devastator threads. Also, the title does say EXPERIMENTAL. Some of the guys donated their $29 JBL's to see if 4 cheap 12's can compete with a $500.00 18" or 21" sub in the same enclosure. The original Devastator had to be widened to fit two 12's side by side. So yes, the 412 box is bigger than the 118 or 121 box. I'm not going to complain about a little more wood compared to $380 in driver cost.

You should check out Nalleh's ScAtmos thread. He's running multiple AVR's to go WAY above Dolby Atmos 7.4.6. He's has MK's, ButtKickers, and JBL 12's bolted to his couch and chairs.

Somebody else has bolted subs directly to the back of their couch, ON THE FABRIC!

Nalleh just recorded 141db's at 8hz with his HTS.

Last edited: