THE non-magnetic parts list

pooge said:

Are your Wimas old stock? I thought I read that the new stock is all magnetic.

I was surprised too, but my Wimas where all buyed from RS Components here in Italy in various batches from 2006 to the last one, of 3 differents values, in December 2008.

All of them, except one single capacitor, are non-magnetic.

Another batch buyed from Distrelec (10% precision) two years ago is magnetic.

I've buyed two FPK2 2,5% from mouser and they're going to arrive in middle January: I'll put a magnet nearby...;)

FedEx arrived yesterday with a Mouser's box...

Nichicon KW Magnetic (Surprise!)
Nichicon KS Magnetic
Nichicon VR Magnetic
Epcos B32520 Magnetic
Koa Speer MF1/4 Magnetic end caps
IRC RC55LF NON-Magnetic (Surprise!)
Wima MKP2 5% Magnetic
Wima FKP2 2.5% NON- Magnetic

So the IRC's datasheet do not tell the truth... no steel end caps!

Koa Speers MF have copper leads but steel endcaps...

And it seems confirmed that Wima FKP2 under 5% is NON-magnetic!

You really need to listen to the individual parts. I've listened to some components with paramagnetic parts inside that clearly sounded better than other brands of non-magnetic parts.

Design is important. But execution of the design is equally as important. But is seems like few companies get every aspect of a part optimum. You need to select the least of the evils.

Kindof like voting for politicians.

silly me. I made an assumption. I 'thought' that the Cardas RCA's where always made of copper. Now I see that they are brass. Non magnetic, yes. But brass.

No wonder I always pulled them out of every piece of gear I've ever owned that had them.

My current favorites are the DH Labs, when it comes to budget (female RCA) designs. Excellent sounding. The only one I'm aware of that has less of a sonic signature..is the WBT nextgen female RCA.

For Male RCA, I find the Eichmann RCA's to have the least sonic signature, with the WBT nextgen male RCA's being second. The ones considered are the copper designs of each.

Hi KBK,

could you perhaps tell what's wrong with brass?

Are you aware of the probably(?) much 'worse' alloys used in metal film resistors for example?

Or maybe it's not the Rho coefficient in brass that 'disturbs' you most?

Otherwise a very good initiative regarding non-magnetic components.

Cheers Michael

Well, I must say Kiwame sound very good and are well-priced.

As they are rebadged KOA Speer SPR2 and SPR5 (Mouser stocks them), "well priced" is really pushing it. The originals seem to sell for something like 4c ea in Japan.

Although I find them almost grotesquely coloured they are still good value @4c if your system is intolerably harsh. The audiophile price otoh...

I just bought a batch of 100 capacitors from the EPCOS "B32612 ... B32614" series of capacitors. They are MKP metallized film capacitors.

http://www.epcos.com/inf/20/20/db/fc_2009/MKP_B32612_614.pdf

The ones I bought are non magnetic. I say 'mine' are as sometimes times things can change, or different versions made in different factories. Getting a high current low diss. factor good sounding film cap at a good price these days... can be quite difficult.

This Epcos series looks like a good contender for a budget priced quality capacitor.

Considering that the availability and the pricing of the Wima MKP series can be compromised, at best... this is a good thing to know -about this EPCOS series of capacitors.

Hi KBK,

could you perhaps tell what's wrong with brass?

Are you aware of the probably(?) much 'worse' alloys used in metal film resistors for example?

Or maybe it's not the Rho coefficient in brass that 'disturbs' you most?

Otherwise a very good initiative regarding non-magnetic components.

Cheers Michael

1/f and/or molecularity sourced diode(ish)junction noise. Brass has it. Silver and copper have less of it.

It also has to do with the complex field bleed in and bleed out or 'fluctuation of the complex LCR fields' and interactions with the metals... and their physical 3d construction. And so on.

Mundorf can make a decent sounding alloy, regarding their solders. This is a dark art, in some ways.

Suffice it to say I prefer no brass if I can get it. Copper is better, to me, than silver, sonically speaking, for connectors. Silver is second, to me.

All can have variations on their molecular noise due to alloy or purity considerations. For example, I prefer the Cardas pure copper binding posts, over anything else. I have not tried all binding posts. The given binding post would have to be a very pure metal and not alloy, to grab my attention.

It is a case of removing noise from the given chain, one step at a time, until you get to the point that single changes become very obvious,as the window is finally cleaning up.

One cannot get there to realize these points, until one embarks on clearing up all those layers of noise. Which is why it can be difficult to figure out that this is what needs to be done--as the difficulty resides in understanding that the noise is there in the first place. It is hidden under the noise created by all the substandard parts! Noise on noise, who who can figure this out? It takes time to 'get it'. Nothing new under the sun, it seems.

Which is why it tends to be the last state of audio design or DIY efforts, with regard to one's 'path' in audio.

Last edited:
How about Mundorf Supreme caps and Kiwame resistors? These are nice-sounding parts.

Simon

Hi,

Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil are definitely non-magnetic, and knowing the pedigree of the company, I would be very surprised if all Mundorf caps are not similar.

Kiwame are also non-magnetic, as are the newer Takman carbon-films and very likely their metal film range - although I don't know for sure as I haven't tested metal-film Takmans.

The popular Mills wire-wounds are non-magnetic as well.

Kiwame are also non-magnetic

Are you shure about it?

KOA SPR, which as far as I know are Kiwame, are magnetic.

as are the newer Takman carbon-films and very likely their metal film range - although I don't know for sure as I haven't tested metal-film Takmans.

Takmans are all non magnetic. I've used both Carbon and Metal film.

Are you shure about it?

KOA SPR, which as far as I know are Kiwame, are magnetic.

Takmans are all non magnetic. I've used both Carbon and Metal film.

Hi,

Why does the system crash just before pressing the send button!!

This is the second attempt at a reply, and it is lucky you queried the Kiwames.

Prior to posting previously I checked the 2W & 5W Kiwames I have in stock and their leads are all non-magnetic. However, I just checked again and surprisingly their bodies are magnetic, so I am sorry if I temporarily misled anyone over their construction.

In around 40yrs I don't recall many (any?) times when the leads were OK but the bodies were magnetic, as usually the problem is the other way around with leads which are frequently magnetic.

I should have been more careful but I only use Kiwames (and Takmans) for occasional repairs/upgrades to guitar amps so I am not as concerned about the components construction. I wouldn't use Kiwames for audio use but they are good for guitar amps because they do sound more like the original vintage carbon resistors of the time.

The Kiwames I have were all purchased from PartsconneXion in Canada and they have green cement-coated bodies with their values shown in 3 places around the body. I don't know anything about "KOA SPR" resistors or who makes them as I have not come across them before.

Last edited:
Prior to posting previously I checked the 2W & 5W Takmans I have in stock and their leads are all non-magnetic. However, I just checked again and surprisingly their bodies are magnetic, so I am sorry if I temporarily misled anyone over their construction.

Do you intend Kiwames, isn'it?

Yes leads are copper made but endcaps are magnetic.

I don't know anything about "KOA SPR" resistors or who makes them as I have not come across them before.

There are other threads here on DIY Audio where KOA (SPR, you can find them from Mouser) is told to be the real manifacturer of Kiwames.

Do you intend Kiwames, isn'it?

Hi,

I don't know what is happening but this is the first time I have posted anything in a long while here, and it seems like I cannot do anything well today!!
I think I got the resistors name right in the first attempt, and it was the frustration at losing my first response which threw me off course.

For me the system is so slow now that I keep on getting timed-out. After hurriedly editing my earlier post it took forever before I was directed back to this page to thank you for pointing-out my error.

Thanks to you I have corrected my earlier comments, and I will try to do better next time!

Regards,

I assume KOA bought Speer a resistor manufacturer in Bradford PA. Oil country but enough coal mines to get the right carbon for carbon comp resistors.

Attached are the distortion curves for a carbon comp and a KOA Speer unit.

Doesn't anybody read Jan Didden's Linear Audio?

Attachments

• Koa Speef Mini CF 5% # 11 F12 JPEG.JPG
    Koa Speef Mini CF 5% # 11 F12 JPEG.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 389
  • Ohmite CC #14 F13 JPEG.JPG
    Ohmite CC #14 F13 JPEG.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 379