The Metronome

Tom, may I humbly suggest that as marvelous a piece of hardware the iPhone represents, the quality of audio output from the headphone jack could easily be surpassed.

You'll have heard this before, but expect bass performance to substantially improve after 200 hrs or so (and you don't need to be gentle about it)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My original plan was the Apple iPod dock which is $50, and most saying that is the preferred output.

But I read another post saying that the headphone output from late model iPod's is surprisingly good, and to not dismiss it until you try it.

And that cable was $2.25! So I'm trying it, cheap bastard that I am.

The music is imported from CD and stored in Apple lossless format.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I found that the line-level output from the apple dock a bit better than the headphone out with my nano, but most of the time i can't be bothered to find where i put the dock.

The hot ticket for the iPod seems to be the new Onkyo dock that lets you use an external DAC. The concensus is that it is much better engineered than the Wadia iTransport and about 1/2 the price to boot.

Using Apple Lossless (or even AIFF like i do) is the single biggest sonic upgrade thou.

dave

I would like to build 2 pairs of Metronomes to use in my art gallery. I'm curious what driver you would recommend to best fill a very large (20'x50') open room in which the listening distance is undefined (as people walk all about the room). I realize there may be better speaker choices for this large room but I am very drawn to the architecture of this cabinet and I'm trying to create very nice ambiance in the gallery. I will be adding a hidden GR/Rythmik Servo sub for bass reinforcement.

cheers
cg

Will it ever be required to play REALLY loud?

Ignoring the above, i'd be inclined to do a bipole with smaller drivers to better fill the space. This will increase the ambiet/reflected sound and give you more consistent levels thru-out the space.

The newly drawn-up EL70 would be my suggestion.

dave

Thanks Dave....I'll give them a try. They will not be required to play at load volume levels, nothing that would be above normal talking levels.

Tom V...thanks for the recommendation but those will be too big for the gallery...I would like to see & hear a pair of those however.

I would like to build 2 pairs of Metronomes to use in my art gallery. I'm curious what driver you would recommend to best fill a very large (20'x50') open room in which the listening distance is undefined (as people walk all about the room). I realize there may be better speaker choices for this large room but I am very drawn to the architecture of this cabinet and I'm trying to create very nice ambiance in the gallery. I will be adding a hidden GR/Rythmik Servo sub for bass reinforcement.

cheers
cg

i would recommend the fe108ES from fostex. the driver is by itself a piece of art and looks fantastic; as you probably already know, if you have read this thread...

...oh, and BTW, this little fostex also sounds very good. in a bipole it should be nice as i can imagine

Cut plan for fe126e

Hi,

Downloaded the bipole 126 plan and went through this post but still very confused about cutting dimensions. Indeed, its my first build...

So, Si, L is that always the inside of the cabinet?
Been going over the metronome plans too but can't figure out if thats based on 18 or 19mm wood etc... (not an artist reading those)
And got even more confused after reading post 99 on page 10 where there is SD. Guess this should be ZD.

Hope there is someone who has a cut plan for these cabinets. Can't go over to the woodshops with the info i have, my chinese is far from perfect and I would end up with some pretty messed up speaker, i',m sure.

I am thinking of building a Metronome. I will probably use the Fostex FE126En, but which plans should i follow?

And is this the right driver for me? I want decent amounts of bass and i want to be able to play a bit louder than normal listening volume. Is FE126En the right driver or should i chose another one at the same price?

I have a Harman Kardon HK 3490 at the moment. I also got an old Hitachi HA-4500 from 1979.

Is the price for CHR-70 for 2 drivers or just one?
They seemed to be pretty cool, but i don't know really. Bass is not the main priority, i will use it as a reference-speaker or maybe sell it. But i don't want lack of bass.
I do got an XTZ 99 w8.16 sub, how will it fit with a Metronome with FE126En drivers? Is it even possible to use a sub for these types of speakers?