The Metronome

crick said:
Here's my very rough model of the Metronome/ANS10.I used heavy duty Advantech flooring from the dumpster at work and got carpet underlay free also.The driver cost $35.I had to change the cab. size to fit the driver and ended up placing it 32" from the floor.There is a little room to raise it up a bit so I'll probably cut a new front.Also need to make a BSC at some point.I actually liked it better in the quikie OB I had it in for a day.

if sounds good, why not a final version with nice "jungle" finish...

looks good.

gychang

Another pair of metronomes has been built. Fostex FE127E drivers, in a monopole, non-BSC configuration.

1033709707_e8fe91bebe.jpg

This is my first attempt a speaker building, and I am thrilled with the outcome. I think theu sound great, to my un-trained ear.

Thank you to everyone that had a part in the development.

oh yeah- post 340... I guess I didn't recognize the part number...
Crick: does it sound as good as the plot on frugal-horn says it should? The FR graph claims that you should be getting full response at 40hz and only about 4db down at 30... could this be so? Midrange/ treble impressions? (I have heard that AN drivers don't quite have the magic of fostex, but thats still an impressive claim.)

The room is going to corrupt everything below 500Hz or so, so I suspect it will depend on the listening environment (and also if the claimed parameters of the AN10 are accurate ;) ) But it should certainly give pretty solid bass, by FR driver standards. My 167 MLTLs are ~flat to 40Hz, so LF extension shouldn't be too much of an issue here, as well as them shifting a heck of a lot more air.

Ok, this project is starting to look appealing to me:
I guess it has been hard for me to believe that a small 6 or 8 inch driver would be capable of producing any meaningful amount of bass. My usual stereo system has been ye olde HUGE pioneer 3-ways with big-ole 12" woofers- I ran some analysis (qualitative and quantitative) and found that a -inf highpass shelf filter at (as high as 60hz) produces hardly any noticeable difference in sound (when listened on the 12" pioneers, as well as my highbuck headphones rated well below 20hz) this seems to be the realm of kickdrums alone...
I guess my next question before shelling out the bucks and trying out the metronomes is: I see that they have very flat claimed responses, but how does this linearity fare as the power is ramped up? I would guess that small drivers would experience a spike in the uppermids... is this true?
You say your 167's get down to 40hz flat- would you say that it would be better to go with the fostex which has reportedly better midrange (and is obviously better known in this community) than bootstrap for a little more bass with the AN10?

I can't be a very good judge on their sound considering my tinitus.I am enjoying them anyway with my Fisher 500-c.They seem to be a lively speaker with good innner detail and a nice amount of bass.I'm not familiar with how to identify just how low they go and the db drop at a particular frequency.I don't have that type of equipment.To my ears,compared to my JM Labs,they seem to reach the mid 30's down a wee bit.

msb259 said:
Another pair of metronomes has been built. Fostex FE127E drivers, in a monopole, non-BSC configuration.

1033709707_e8fe91bebe.jpg

This is my first attempt a speaker building, and I am thrilled with the outcome. I think theu sound great, to my un-trained ear.

Thank you to everyone that had a part in the development.

Good to see another pair of FE127 Mets, they look great! Just to follow up on my last post of ages ago, I've now got all walls above the drivers and the back wall lined with some dense carpet underlay (made from recycled car tyres) and it seems about optimal in my configuration (4" from corners of room, 10' apart, wood floor, Charlize + Monica2).