The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Can someone put me out my misery and buy the SP-10 motor that's currently on ebay uk for £169 or best offer. The seller had a plinth as well which has gone. But with each passing day I get more tempted...

It's worthless without the rest of the bits.

Just buy the nicest MkII you can afford, and be done with turntables for the rest of your life. It really is that easy. :D :D :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's worthless without the rest of the bits.

Just buy the nicest MkII you can afford, and be done with turntables for the rest of your life. It really is that easy. :D :D :D

I disagree. But my interest is in building things around the motor. I had until last week assumed an SP-10 motor was out of my budget. I'd rather it stayed that way as I have enough to play with. Also SP-10 has a mystique all of its own so I'd probably get burned as a heretic :p

@Dave: SL-1200 motor is first on the list. As and when I get that running I will let you know. If I can control that I can do pretty much any DD motor used in the 70s and 80s.

I would replace it with a :

Vishay TZX3V0C-TR 3.1V Zener Diode

Make sure you put in the right way as it's a zener not a diode pack.

Or replace the whole string with a 19V zener ?

Be sure to adjust R415 before plugging it in.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
appreciated . i don't get what you say about the whole string with the 19v Zener . can you write a little more details ? or better the diode that suit replacement .

cheers
Peter

GB for a platter ?

Any progress on a GB for the platters ? If not, I can probably arrange one.

A good buddy of mine is a master gunsmith and has a CNC shop with a Haas CNC lathe and mill. He mainly does high end bespoke guns so he definitely knows how to do precision work. His son is a solidworks guru so I don't think getting a platter drawn up would be too challenging.

He is also an audio guy and we have been talking about building a new platter and bearing assemblies for classic tables. It all started with me getting back into analog and restoring a TD-124. I think it is a sickness :) and now I am looking at doing an SP-10.
Coincidentally, we both live "in the foothills" just up the road from Pass Labs which, based on my experience, is amazingly good stuff.

I can see a couple of possibilities for platters.
- A version similar to the one Wayne did
- A version with a perimeter clamp - need to figure out the esthetics and if it will be possible to retain the angle on the side of the stock platter.
- A two piece with a copper or bronze mat, e.g. micro-seki clone.
- A two piece with a mat and a perimeter clamp.

Also, we have been thinking about building a magnetic thrust bearing assembly for my TD-124 (and potentially for the SP-10)
It would require a new longer spindle and some space below the end cap.
Any interest in something like that ?

I'm thinking it would be similar to what Wayne guessed.
Something around $800 - 900 per platter.
As a reality check I looked online - 1 source so far and (10) 1" x 14" x 14" pieces of 304 SS is about $425 each plus shipping.
Shipping is likely a few hundred total due to weight of about 58 lbs per blank.

Until we have drawings made we can't really get an accurate quote on machining.
For now I assume we can get machining done similar to the price Wayne did - around $4500 - 5k including setup.

This only really leaves making the drawings and that will depend on what options folks are interested in.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've been in the middle of a major house renovation that is finally complete, so the next order of business is to organize the various projects, the one I'm most interested in is the SP-10 that's been lying around collecting dust for the last 18mo or so...

Ok, I've got most of the important parts -

IMG_7705.JPG

IMG_7706.JPG

After talking to a few people who've been down this road, I realize I need to just plain make the plinth heavier. So, the big drill bit comes out and Swiss cheese ensues. :)

IMG_7709-1.JPG

"Each tuned to a different frequency. "

(One of my favorite audio marketing BS phrases...) Anyway, the green epoxy is a 3M product that never dries totally solid. The rest is just cheap 5-min.

Mass has been increased by at least 2kg. Maybe a bit more.

Next, aligning the motor drive.

I'm thinking it would be similar to what Wayne guessed.
Something around $800 - 900 per platter.
As a reality check I looked online - 1 source so far and (10) 1" x 14" x 14" pieces of 304 SS is about $425 each plus shipping.
Shipping is likely a few hundred total due to weight of about 58 lbs per blank.

Until we have drawings made we can't really get an accurate quote on machining.
For now I assume we can get machining done similar to the price Wayne did - around $4500 - 5k including setup.

This only really leaves making the drawings and that will depend on what options folks are interested in.
I don't know if I'd use 304ss as it has a ferrous component to it which might have an effect on the cartridge. 316ss doesn't have any iron in it so likely is a better choice but a lot more expensive.
Regards John L.

As an added comment on metal platters (apart from aluminum), stainless steel contains metals such as chromium and nickel (it's an alloy). I don't know what, if any effect these metals will have on the performance but it would be worthwhile researching before spending a heap of money.
Regards John L.