The Holy Grail Follower Output Stage

The Holy Grail (HG) Follower is a complementary push-pull FET output stage with no source degeneration resistors, thereby maximizing the square-law potential of the MOSFET devices. The primary challenge with such an output stage is control its of bias current.

The "F4 Beast Builders" DIYAudio thread https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/f4-beast-builders.300233/post-4907053 in 2018 had many discussions of potential optocoupler circuits for bias control. The Pass Labs XA25 actually implements such a circuit. To my knowledge, none of these approaches avoided problems with the bias currents either increasing when the output power level increased.

The basic idea of the circuits is to integrate (via. a capacitor) the voltage across the drain sense resistors of the FETs. Optocouplers are used to totally isolate the inputs (LEDs) from the outputs (phototransistors). How should one combine the outputs from the NFET and the PFET? The first image below shows series, and parallel connection phototransistor outputs.

1703131427889.png

The problem with these circuits is that the bias current is not stable as the output power level is increased. The series connection results in a large increase bias current. The parallel connection results in large decrease in bias current.

What I discovered today (Dec 20 2023) was a circuit variation that allows the continuous choice of constant, rising, or falling bias current with power level, requiring only 3 additional resistors. The second image below show the circuit and the output for a 16 Watt, 20Hz sine wave into a 6 Ohm load for each of the bias circuit topologies. The plots in the third image shows the current waveforms into the NFET after 4.8 seconds have elapsed. The plots in the fourth image show the difference in the FET gate voltages for the entire 5 seconds of the output. Green=series, Blue=parallel, Red=mixed topology.

1703131481153.png

1703131496100.png

By adjusting the 3 added resistors, the red curve can be an arbitrary mix of the green and blue curves.

What could be better for FET follower output stage with no source resistor degeneration?

Reactions: 16 users
Last edited:
Thanks Patrick. Yes, there are other approached to bias control. Here are some of the goals of such a circuit:
  1. Stable bias over a range of heatsink temperatures, particularly during warm-up.
  2. Stable bias with a wide range of signal levels.
  3. Practical to implement without limited choice of devices and tight matching of their parameters.
Various optocoupler approaches have shown the ability to achieve goals 1 and 3 just fine, but fail goal 2.
Many other approaches that I have seen fail at goal 3.

Yes, 2.5 amps on a big hs. Little drift after warm up, not too much. Higher value resistors or a precision current source btw bases of pnp/npn bjt's as Zen Mod did before in one of his designs, or just a pot. Few mAmps after warm up not much.

As in the post no 6 of Zen Mod's

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/sissysit-r-3.371272/

a precision ccs will allow fine tuning the bias down...
Extremely stable after few mili amps drift/settle after warm up.

Last edited:
According to spice, post #16 works quite well in DC.
But when a large signal of +/-20V 1kHz is applied, one can see that the sum of the two gate voltages is not quite constant.
And distortion is also not small, even at lower amplitudes.

I think I need some more investigation.
But thanks for sharing.

Patrick

Attachments

• CCS Autobias.asc
    4.8 KB · Views: 97
  • CCS Autobias Spice Plot.png
    CCS Autobias Spice Plot.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: 2 users