The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2016 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Justin, if we had a ZX1000, Dragon or CR-7 (better heads and electronics), maybe Revox, Tandberg or some of the best ones of the breed or good Reel to Reel - Ampex@30ips maybe you would be for surprise. Generally tapes soften the dynamics, add distortion, phase effects, etc. I bet, if you had it for week or so, you would know all it's weak points. Still not bad for technology introduced by Philips in 60's on 3.81mm of tape (free license to stop war format a'la DVD-Audio vs SACD) but evolved a lot in 70's (High Com) and 80's (war against Sony EL-cassette, dBX, DolbyC, S). Somewhere in Poland there must be a book I left about magnetic recording and everything about decks :(
Thank 'god' we are not "golden ears" - then life would be really difficult.

Yeah I would love to hear some of that stuff. Honestly I think I would have a hard time telling the difference. My ears are certainly not golden by any stretch (thank god!)

But it really goes to show that something done right be it tape, reel to reel, mp3, cd, vinyl, etc. can sound really damn good! I imagine it's much easier (and cheaper) however to get nice sounding digital.

Next meet up I should get you to record some Prodigy (the artist I know best ) onto tapes and I'll see if I can tell any difference.

------------------------

Regarding Class D amps - i'm waiting on two cheap chiniese class D amps - YJ IRS2092 200W Class D Amp Mono Amplifier Board YJ-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I ordered two of the powersupply from this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/281698-abletec-53v-dual-rail-450w-supply-20-a.html to go with the amp. (wasn't such a good deal with the cnd dollar and shipping but I ordered it on a whim) Got two so I had a extra to play with (compare mono blocks vs two on the same psu) or build a second amp if it's a success.

I'll see how it sounds compared to the lm3886. It's no hyperx but it's also not even a 10th of the price :)

Oh, Tyler

The PCB manufacturer I had mentioned is Hackvana: It's nirvana for hackers. the website sucks but all that is really relevant is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6FH25ltGpzJQ5_8fbflDukqEKghiEcpuhJpngth2Is/edit which has their pricing and capabilities. I haven't got around to ordering from them yet - planning to for my PGA2311 board.

Their channel is #hackvana on irc.freenode.net - the guy is around and always willing to answer questions. It's also a cool channel to talk with folks on - lot of guys doing really cool stuff and they are pretty welcoming.

Newbie at the Ottawa Openhouse

2016 DIY Audio Ottawa Gathering

All DIYers are invited to this event. There will be a range of gear and music to listen to in a casual atmosphere.

Where:
At the General Burns Park and Community Centre
107 Chesterton Drive (86 Argue Drive)
This is east of Merivale Road, and south of Meadowlands Drive

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ge...2!3m1!1s0x4cce0655ac222cb5:0x841c6e3ad6747351

When:

Saturday 9 April from 9:30 am to 8 pm or so

Schedule to be announced in ten days or so.

Brown bag lunch (there is a fridge to keep food and beverages cold).

Pizza or Subway sandwich dinner.

How much: A $10 fee to cover rental of the room. This is a not-for-profit event.

Parking is free and close by. Right beside the building.

Bring your music you want to hear on the systems. We will be able to play anything connectable via USB be it a stick or a hard drive, Or optical media like a CD or SACD. There will be a turntable available after 4:00pm.

Who will be there: Old timers and new comers. Feel free to drop by.

Justin (jjrh88) created a Google group for signing up equipment and talks.

What will be there:

Two listening rooms will be used with organizers providing a "baseline system" in each, to swap your gear into.

Each system will include an amp, pre-amp, DAC, and a digital source (CD or PC) and at least one will have a turntable.

Headphones and at least one headphone pre-amp for comparative listening. It has one input and four headphone outputs.

Particulars:

Grant Marshall Pi7 Speakers with required amps/ etc.

Pierre Lavoie EAR 859 Tube Integrated Kit

Dave Dal Farra JR149 Speakers, Napoleon Speaker Redesigns, Hypex NC400+SMPS1200

Mark Kravchenko Horn Loaded two ways and sub all self amplified.

Tyler Elliott USB DAC

John Kucharski Kef TL speaker circa 1980, LME49810 based power amp

Justin Hornosty LM3886 XY board, Cheap DAC

And wait.... There's more!

DIY TALKS

Grant Explains the setup of his system and his three way crossover.
Tyler Explains his latest creation, USB DAC
Mark Horn Loudspeaker Design Q/A

The plan of the day:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...iy-audio-2016-get-together-3.html#post4670850

View attachment 541695

Hello to all the great people presenting and attending the DIT Meet.
It was my first time attending a diyAudio Meet and was very glad that I came. Everyone was friendly and I got to check out some very interesting projects. Thank you all for sharing.
You've inspired me to proceed with my bookshelf speaker project.
Thank you!

Playlist.

...playlist request...

I cut out some screen prints of the playlist I put together for the demo. When every one was in the room I started playing around Me and My Guitar by Tep No at the bottom of page 1.

Demo-page1.jpg

Demo-page2.jpg

Demo-page3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks!

Fusion PCB, customize PCB prototype | Seeedstudio is the one I use, but Hackvana seems more flexible.

Tyler

Oh, Tyler

The PCB manufacturer I had mentioned is Hackvana: It's nirvana for hackers. the website sucks but all that is really relevant is https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6FH25ltGpzJQ5_8fbflDukqEKghiEcpuhJpngth2Is/edit which has their pricing and capabilities. I haven't got around to ordering from them yet - planning to for my PGA2311 board.

Their channel is #hackvana on irc.freenode.net - the guy is around and always willing to answer questions. It's also a cool channel to talk with folks on - lot of guys doing really cool stuff and they are pretty welcoming.

If anyone is interested in a DAC, I can assemble one for you at cost. Parts were $270+tax (I can update the BOM and get the current price), and you'll need transformer(s) and an I2S source (I used DIYINHK XMOS isolated, $100 USD). I'm going to put together an SMD oven, so it won't be (messily) hand soldered like mine.

Just send me a private message to keep this thread clean.

Dave: do you have a thread for your amp? I'm still running a chipamp and I think it may be the bottleneck in my system at the moment.

Late replies, been travelling for work, and the whip just stopped cracking for a few minutes...

Tyler, I posted a few comments and pictures here at:
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...ore-400-Amplifier-discussion-amp-Build-thread

These explain my rationale for using the bigger supply and the nuttiness of the harness. BTW, if you're interested, it'd be neat to trade DACs for a few weeks. Mine doesn't have a HD driver so that may be a limitation. But I think it'll create a great opportunity to baseline both designs then go back to other version. Best way to tell pros/cons

If anyone's interested, here's the write up for the JR149 redesigns. Interesting part to me is that the frequency response doesn't reflect what it really sounds like. To me it sounds more neutral with this than the original "flat" design
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/269455-jr149-redesign.html

Also

Mark, thanks for the tunes, especially the ones created without big long metal tubes

John, thanks for the pre-amp details. I'll have to look into this. If I build it, I'll probably go dual mono with a couple 10 turn pots instead of a balance control. Infinite balance adjust-ability, but a bit more PITA to use (I'm used to it with my dual mono passive)

Big John, if you ever want to hear the Napoleons in my small room with the final design, let me know, I think it'd be a surprise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.