The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: FE103

tleonard said:
Any chance we'll see an FE103 version of these sometime in the future?

One of the reasons for the variable CC is to get the Frugel-Horn as close to optimum as possible for drivers like the 103/1197/FE103A variants, and other 4 or 5" drivers.

The horn might not be optimum for the driver, but as people have shown with many a horn, good sound can often be had out of a orn with a driver different then the one it was designed for.

dave

Ok, I have them together. Only a few things left to do. I will start posting impressions this week I hope. Only things left to do internally are cut the divider to alter CC and the last taper board for the horn (I am having to build a jig to get the 60 degree cut out of my table saw. I had to cheez it up with a montage photo. ;) so here it is. As I said I will post follow ups this week.

Attachments

• frugal.jpg
    frugal.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,744
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cool.

We had another listening dession with ours.

We (ie Chris), moved the entire kit-n-kaboodle down to the now spare room at his house. This room has corners. As well, a set of 2 1/4" deep, heavily beveled 12" (or so) stop sign shaped supra-baffles were added.

Corners do help bring out the bass. Positioning is critical, and symetrically backed right into the corner isn't the best. Ron is working on the reflector design.

There is now no question in my mind that our 1st build is an improvement over the modified B-Horns. The room is L shaped with he speakers in corners across an 8' section, 12' deep. Sitting in the listening chair, lights down, eyes closed the entire end of the room blows open.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jleaman said:
Dave do you have a demo pair of these i can listen to for a week ? Or should i just build my own ?

It is a moving target. You could likely borrow the FE126 B-Horns.... but they are but a shadow of the alpha build. We will be taking the 126s out... modding them & putting them in the RonHorn A126 for quick comparisons.

dave

GM said:
Greets!

Gees, and I thought I had it bad when I blew out most of the drywall tape joints with a pair of Contrabass subs! ;)

GM

Uh, that was a metaphor

With a little room acoustic treatment (just bare painted gyproc walls at present) to tame side wall and early ceiling reflections, imaging will hopefully crystallize even further.

Quite amazing how big either the 108EZ or 126 can sound.

planet10 said:

It is a moving target. You could likely borrow the FE126 B-Horns.... but they are but a shadow of the alpha build. We will be taking the 126s out... modding them & putting them in the RonHorn A126 for quick comparisons.

dave

Maybe we should just let J build our next few pairs for us; I'm sure I could use some pointers.........:devilr:

chrisb said:

Maybe we should just let J build our next few pairs for us; I'm sure I could use some pointers.........:devilr:

Was this suppose to start something.? If it was i could say something that would put you in your seat :devilr:

Maybe i can get a pair of boxes that are refurbished or built that you don't want and i can buy my own Fostex drivers. I'm willing to put a few $$ into a pair of full range driver's..

It never really soaked in just how small this thing is, but Tom's pic really puts things in perspective. I just checked and my Fostex horns for the 108 are 10cm taller, 16cm deeper and 4 cm wider.

I can't wait until you guys tell us the optimum setup for the 108, because 1. I can shave off some height and increase the depth and use them for surrounds which go in corners anyway and 2. I can build an extra set to take out of my room and slip them into the house without complaint.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.