The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Don't go shopping when you're hungry... Anyhow, I saw this pieced of chuck roast... it looked so good, it called out "Tony Tony Eat Me"...

20240109_161228.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
When served... I sort of made it into chili verde.... it was, INCREDIBLE. recipe will follow. I believe this will translate very well to pork with some variations.

And no! I did not follow any recipe, just a remembrance of a veal dish my aunt made for us some 24 years ago.... Yum!

20240110_191038.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I was reading yesterday that Mark Zuckerberg is raising beef on his ranch in Hawaii. As well as having pissed off a lot of the locals he is claiming he is feeding the cattle on macadamia nuts. This seems a particularly daft feedstuff given they are not native to Hawaii so he has to plant the trees and he has to shell them before the cows can eat them. Any one know if they impart any magic to the meat?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
In Spain, black feet pigs are fed with acorns (bellotas) and the jamon that comes out of that is called "jamon iberico" which is fantastic.

i've seen the pork meat also on sale, but it's very pricey... maybe one of these days.

Eg: https://www.tienda.com/products/abanico-iberico-pork-steak-aljomar-ip-71

Now, I don't know about beef and macademia nuts, but I'll wager the milk and cheese will be simply outstanding.

Bill you'll have to pardon me please. I have a tiny bit of insight, as my family owned a residence in Maui for many moons.
I was reading yesterday that Mark Zuckerberg is raising beef on his ranch in Hawaii.
Many do, it's just done away from the limelight, up country where it's moister and cooler. Common on the islands. Up country doesn't mean north, it means uphill.
he is feeding the cattle on macadamia nuts
With his kind of coin he can do as he wishes. It can't be all beer and Macadamia nuts as reported, just a treat. Don't believe everything you read. Just beer and Macadamia nuts would kill a cow.
This seems a particularly daft feedstuff given they are not native to Hawaii
You are right. Macadamia nuts are not native to Hawaii, but they are the world leader in production and have been for decades.
Speaking of not native, let's talk about the cattle...
I am hoping I understood your meaning of 'they'
so he has to plant the trees and he has to shell them before the cows can eat them.
I've not read the 'article' but he probably isn't planting his own trees. they take about a decade to be good producers. Shelling is a very precise thing. He probably uses reject pieces rather than whole, as whole nuts would be hard to justify when the cows probably don't give a **** and are just happy to be eating something other than regular fodder.
Any one know if they impart any magic to the meat?
I would love to eat beef from Macadamia nut fed cattle. Even if it was just to say I did so.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ on chili hot dogs...

Our nearest Wienerschnitzel restaurant used to serve Cold Bud in a nice 24 oz size.

So, when Mom worked late, Dad would take the kids there and daughter would get her chili dogs, son would get his polish sausage sandwiches, Dad would get a large chicken Caesar's salad -and a Bud- and we'd share three orders of fries with chili and cheese on top.

On the way home, we'd do a take out of hot dogs, chili cup, sausage sandwich, fries and salad to feed Mom. I usually ordered enough hot dogs so the kids got one for lunch the next day.

Dad was Da King at making great school lunches for the kids.

I miss those days, they no longer serve Bud there. Seems like the Karens are wrecking everything that is good and just in the World.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They make cattle drink beer in Japan, it is said to achieve a well marbled meat.
That beef is some of the most expensive in the world, because the breed, and overall Japan has a high cost of living.

Nuts from automatic crushing plants run 3 to 5% wastage, so they must be available quite cheap.
Here the merchants expect a half kilo breakage in a 15 kilo tin of cashew nuts, they are sold cheaper than whole nuts, in some cases they are used to make paste gravies, and added to sweets, where whole nuts are not needed.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
In Spain, black feet pigs are fed with acorns (bellotas) and the jamon that comes out of that is called "jamon iberico" which is fantastic.
But those are pigs living in the oak forests (although apparantly there are problems with the farmers not managing the forests and the acorn harvests declining. Don't know how true this is. But that's a world away from what commander data is doing (well half a world in timezones)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill you'll have to pardon me please. I have a tiny bit of insight, as my family owned a residence in Maui for many moons.
I hoped someone with insight would. Hawaii is a long way from Europe and growing up I learned all I knew about Hawaii from Magnum PI
You are right. Macadamia nuts are not native to Hawaii, but they are the world leader in production and have been for decades.
Ah didn't know that. Thank you
Speaking of not native, let's talk about the cattle...
I am hoping I understood your meaning of 'they'
I had meant the macadamias but a smallish island with strange weather extremes does seem an odd place to raise a land intensive crop of bovines.
I've not read the 'article' but he probably isn't planting his own trees. they take about a decade to be good producers.
He 'claimed he was' but who knows the truth. He's rich and by all accounts preparing to do a full Howard Hughes with his underground bunker stuffed with Wagyu steaks.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Leek risotto tonight*. Cheated and put some real parmesan in as non-rennet hard cheese is becoming hard to find again and I can sort of persuade the wife its akin to wearing leather shoes. Sproglets were not impressed but at least liked my first attempt at mango kulfi.

*Thank you instant pot. Makes it so easy.

Look up 'Aam Ras', typically pulped mangoes, milk, a touch of ghee, and about one crushed cardamom per liter of finished product.
That is the basic version, many more fancy / complex versions exist.
It should be available in the UK as ready packed item in the frozen goods section of the supermarkets where Indians do their shopping, it is a Gujarati origin preparation.
You may have to look around, or ask the Indian store people.
Cans, I don't know, it is sold in pouches or ice cream like cartons here, very popular as freshly prepared in summer here in Gujarat.
The prepared and packed product uses different mangoes than the ones I like, so it feels off to me, that is my opinion really.

You can try adding mango pulp to condensed milk and freezing it as kulfi.

The proper way used to be 'Rabdi' / 'Rabri' / 'Rabarhi', basically sweetened milk, reduced to granular consistency, cooled to ambient, mango pulp blended in, and then frozen.
Expect three hours of constant stirring and simmering to make a proper 'Rabdi'....

I know your wife is of Indian descent, I have the other members in mind.

Last edited:
Premature pic of tonights dinner. Julia Child's casserole roasted chicken with aromatics. Just finished on the stove top and headed into the oven. Sweet potato mire poix, garlic, rosemary, sage, bay leaf. Deglaze with dry vermouth and into the oven, covered to keep in all the good aromas!

20240112_202147.jpg

I know my choice of using vermouth is different, however I hosted a black tie "Dirty Marty" party and of course guests brought various gin and vodka for their favorite drinks. One friend of mine brought me a 1.5L of Martini & Rossi. Well, I still have over half that bottle of vermouth and even though I enjoy a Django Reinhardt cocktail, I still can't fathom using 1.5L of vermouth!

Then it made its way from my bar to the kitchen. It's essentially an aromatic wine. Thought about it and honestly any recipe where white wine is used as an ingredient dry vermouth works very well. French onion soup, especially. Just for scale, this is what 1.5L of vermouth looks like, lol

20240112_202554.jpg

Chicken is about done. Late dinners are my favorite. Have a few drinks, eat good, feel good, listen to records, enjoy life!

Cheers!

Reactions: 2 users