The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
!. They both are just skin.
2. Cracklin' is seasoned, sliced and roasted. It's a hearty and hardy crunchy snack, your dentist loves you to eat.
3. Chicaronnes is a multi-day, multi-step process. It is light and fluffy and can be eaten with dentures, or just gums for that matter. Ask Grandpa.

We got a lot of great Mexican supermarkets around us.

Getting good chicarones is just a short drive away.... Costa Mesa and Santa Ana.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sometimes if you smile nice at the butcher, he does the slicing for you.
It helps if you are pretty, have a nice figure and a great personality.

Thanks Mrs. Weldon.

Then you end up with this much. :)

Well, if you lack the figure and ain't pretty (*) it also helps if

(1) You ask nicely
(2) Don't rush it, if they're busy give them half an hour and come back to pick it up
(3) You have butcher blood in your genes and tell the butcher about how your mom took you to the stock yards when you were a kid...

Trust me, it works... even at the Costco butchers two days before Thanksgiving when you ask the for a specially cut prime 4 inch rib eye steak. Heck, they'll even price it as a roast (hint, cheaper).

Speaking of Costco... the butcher once turned me on to the Prime grade flank steak. It's a steal.

Or at the local H-Mart when you ask them for a "thicker" cut of pork shoulder...

Tony says: Be nice to your butcher, taxi cab driver and barber... your happiness depends on it.

(*) Handsome should not count...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "And remember, it’s just a story."

My life is a story unto itself.

When I show up at Saint Peter's it's gonna be a while, while Peter and I have a few brews and cigars and shoot the breeze about steaks, taxi rides, haircuts, amplifiers and how to make friends... inside the gate, of course.

Peter: "So, Tony, did you really say that to Nelson when you first met him?"
Yours Truly:" Yeah, well, it seemed like the thing to do. His writings are so first person, it felt like I knew him already".
P: "You really need to learn how to introduce yourself to people... slowly... here, have another Lagunitas IPA... and thank for bringin up those 1990 Partagas Perfectos"
YT: " No problem, you're welcome, my wife has no clue what was in the humidors any.... yumm, good brew!"
P: "We brought up your Macho SIT and the A2s, Linn with the P3 and Maggies... did you bring a preamp?"
YT: "I think so... I hope so.... is Señor ZM, The Aleksander, around?"
P: "Not for a thousand years... he's in Purgatory for naming that amp a Sissy.. imagine that!"
YT: "Yeah, whenever I showed that amp to my friends I told them it was a FW SIT-3 clone... Sissy, indeed! Oh, did Nelson bring up his stash of SITs?"

The good thing about Heaven is that you can drink a six pack of Lagunitas IPA ( 9% ) and not get drunk nor have a hangover the next morning so you can have a nice prime steak cut just for you... with some cage free eggs, over easy, unbroken.

Did you know that in Heaven all food is organic? You know.. "carbon based"... no silica based eggs for me...

Don't worry if you're stuck behind me in line waiting to get in for what seems like ages... you're not going to Hell, nor Purgatory... hopefully Peter won't be too tipsy when your turn comes.

"Huh.. Cal... what's this about stories?"

Last edited:
Lol, I suspect Tony and I were cut from the same cloth. Maybe a generation apart, though.

No dinner pics, my sweetie made a nice shrimp scampi and Caesar salad for me tonight.

Mixed up 420+ grams of a levain tonight. Unfortunately I did it after I cracked open my second Lagunitas after work beer, but before dinner. I needed 200gr of levain, so I mixed 200gr flour and 200gr water plus 20gr starter. 200+200=400 🤦‍♂️

Oh well, I guess I'm making 4 loaves of bread. I have flavors I want to experiment with anyway. Expect some new, fun, colorful bread pics in the coming days!

Thats a 16" mixing bowl for scale.
20240118_193520.jpg

Big rain storm hitting here tonight, going to last several days. Perfect weather for pozole and home made blue corn tortillas.

20240119_190557.jpg

Bread dough is still bulk fermenting, the cold, slow rise will only develop the flavor even more. I'm not expecting to bake it until Saturday afternoon at the earliest, maybe Sunday.

Reactions: 2 users