The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
As Tony mentioned, the foolproof way for most any meat is immersion cooking.
Sirloin
Eye of round
Shank
All inexpensive cuts cooked tender and rare.

Well, not quite fool proof... you can overcook things... Never over cook a steak. Or chicken.

Sure, the time is glacial compared to what you can do in the oven/grill..... you likely have an hour of playtime... BUT you will regret cooking that fine two inch thick steak at 129 for five hours. OTOH, those ribs at 130 for three days... YUM!

For shank, I usually use a dutch oven, ossobucco style. On top of long grain japanese rice.... hmm....

Reactions: 1 user
Well, not quite fool proof... you can overcook things...
Tony, you can drink two bottles of wine, have a nap, get up, go the store and not remember the meat till on your way home and it's still fine.
BUT you will regret cooking that fine two inch thick steak at 129 for five hours.
Actually that's about right.

The shank was a couple years back, done cafe au gratin style

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 34
If you take a good bread, slice it, toast it slightly in the oven, then rub it with fresh garlic, fresh tomatoes, sprinkle with olive oil and salt they will last in the fridge for over a week.

It's called pan amb tomaquet.

You can add some good cheese, ham, charcuteries, etc...

You mean if it lasts long enough to make it to the fridge, lol! I do that for brunches, usually sautéed chard, cheese, tartare, carpaccio, among other.

I've been considering wiring up a PID controller to for that, though.
Why don't you just get a purpose made wand and use a cooler for the tank, like so many of us do?
I don't think you'll regret it, they're anything but expensive.
My Eureka moment happened the first time I used it.
Previously, I used to joke about 'boil in a bag'
How little I knew back then.
Honestly, do yourself a favour.
:cheers:

Damn you guy's.... I returned to this site to re-kindle my Audio DIY passion, and now you're getting me side-tracked, thinking about a couple of Omega PID controllers I have in my junk box, that I was thinking could fix my temperature control problems on my pellet smoker once and for all.... Now I'm thinking of the sous vide tank, beside the smoker, next to the grill (for the final sear of course) instead of what capacitors I need to order, to get my 10 year old Aleph 2 project back onto the rails....... Not to mention the oak fireplace surround...... My wife's going to kill me, and it's going to be your fault!!!!:(

Reactions: 2 users