The food thread

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes Naresh but this is much different. It's like a stand you might find at a carnival and has very few items. I watched the process yesterday in detail and I am gobsmacked. Some with a real head on their shoulders came up with this one.

Ask our Belgian friends, they are the real deal about French fries ( to the point we French ask why it does have our name associated with it!).
Two cook needed at different temp, one to cook the inside ( lower temp), another one to make them crispy, fresh potatoes prepared on site, an offer of different sauces to go with them... cheap food. Sometimes sausages and relative offered too...
I shouldn't talk about it, makes me wanna eat some!

It can be a good business if you make good one in here. I don't know how it would work in your own culture though, in belgium and north of France there is this kind of shops everywhere open all day for snacking. Very popular.

Last edited:
Filipino based company owned by Shakey's Pizza out of Manilla (yes, originally USA). 1400 stands world wide, most in the Philippines.
This is unlike fries that you know. Different operation altogether and I can tell you, it's very likely to take off.
The more I research it the less likely I am to purchase a franchise. The local stand is actually head office owned, not franchised and I understand that's the case in a number of countries they are trying to get a foothold in. I am not looking to compete with corporate headquarters. At this point I am more likely to buy shares in the parent company. At least that's what I'll be looking at next.
Other than that, one could start their own stands of a similar nature, as a few companies already have.

There is a place called 'Raju Omlet Center' here, daily sales are about 1000 plates at the original spot, he has three branches in Baroda, and franchises in other places, including Dubai and New Jersey.
When I have visitors from other cities, it is a fixture, he uses about 40 grams of Amul (salted) butter per serving of two eggs.
Omlette, Boil Tikka (sliced boiled eggs in Chicken Tikka gravy),and bhurji (spicy scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes etc.), and a couple of other items are very popular.
Rated as the second best egg dish shop in India.

Amazing how a mundane item can become wildly popular, he has many imitators, but the secret spice mix he adds when beating eggs has stayed unique so far.

Good Luck for your new venture, if at all you decide to start it.
The food business can be physically taxing, and very lucrative.

If anything happens, I can assure you I might be a franchise owner, investor or silent partner, nothing more. This is something for my retirement other than doing Wordle. I will still have the old company under the umbrella, I’m just getting too old to climb 40 foot ladders.
Money doesn’t enter into the equation unless I go backward.
I realize you are trying to help but rest assured I am cautious and if advice is needed, I can always ask.
I brought these thoughts here only because it’s a really intriguing opportunity that involves food.
Perhaps enough has been said about this for now.

An investment opportunity could be outskirts or owning apartments to rent out, if you see the price appreciation trends over the past 30 years.
But in some cities, values have gone down.
Just a thought, you do need a steady income from two sources after retiring.

That is a personal choice, and off topic here, so I will stop.

Meanwhile, you can take a look at Indian versions of Omelette, they might give you some ideas, and a shock to purists.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My daughter, a trained chef, has been cooking dinner lately.

She made a beef broth that took 30 hours... God Knows what she put in it. We'll see what my NG bill looks this month.

Pasta sauces made out of roasted vegetables, then ground in her fancy mixer... you name it.

Mexican dishes with more ingredients that I use in a week. Que bueno!

Anyhow, I have not been taking pictures, it just wouldn't be fair to any of us old foggie dilettantes. Needles to say, it's great. All I have to worry for dinner is having an IPA or a glass of wine... no need to cook. My current daily task in the kitchen is the midday pick me up round of espressos and cappuccinos.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You got the hardest role in the kitchen TonyEE!
I remember when i started as a tech in studio i was routinely dedicated to this task in big commercial facility... until i once had session into a residential studio where the engineer/ owner forbidden the access to cofee machine: 'coffee is much too serious to let a greeny in task! Go take care of mics around the drumkit!' Such a wise man! Lol.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Currentl;y I got a Profitec 500... Someday I might splurge and go for the Profitec 800.

Moi, I don't do fancy coffee.. I do a double shot in the dark. Pull a double into a mug and then fill her up with drip, carefully so as to not disturb the crema!

For the cappuccinos... I use 2% with a bit of half and half. IMPORTANT: add the sugar into the milk BEFORE frothing. That ensures that the entire drink is sweet, including the merengue like froth.... I came up with that idea because I'm lazy and it's less spoons to move around. As it turns out, everyone loves it.

In the current heat wave.. .hey it's summer!... I pour the cappuccinos in a highball glass, with three ice cubes and a long cocktail glass mixer... Ice first, then coffee, then milk. I aim for a two inch layer of milk froth. ;-)

No latte art for me.... no siree... that would be like buying a Mac amp... you know? The guys with all the fancy artwork.... pour moi, it's just the basics, with a twist.

The assembly of the cappuccino is what's important for me.

If I froth the milk in the metal pot, I will pour the double shot directly into the mug and then carefully pour the frothed milk in... That gives me merengue like peaks. I call this The Mount Fuji Cappuccino.

Sometimes, I get really lazy, so I froth the milk directly into the mug... this gives me a flat top. So, I pull the coffee into a small cup and then, using a small funnel, I carefully pour it into the mug TRHOUGH the milk... making only a little "hole". I call this A Snowy Morning In Kobe ( the Osaka Plain is flat ).

Sometimes, I'll sprinkle some brown sugar on top, predictably this is called A Dirty Snowy Morning In Kobe.

OH, I've been making espresso since my first machine back in '83... although I grew up around them.

If you look carefully at the photos... Why! Yes! That's a small box of Crumbl Cookies. ;-)

Attachments

• 20220622_131532_coffee.jpg
    20220622_131532_coffee.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220613_134156_coffee.jpg
    20220613_134156_coffee.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Just a thought, you do need a steady income from two sources after retiring.
No Naresh. I am intrigued by this. If money were a part of this, I would continue to operate the successful company I have for the last 3 decades.
She made a beef broth that took 30 hours...
I used to as well. Then I discovered the Instantpot. While there are the naysayers, and I do understand hanging on to old ideas, I will gladly put up my stock up against any 30 hour stove top for comparison. Not really a challenge, just a recognition of how things change.
Pasta sauces made out of roasted vegetables, then ground in her fancy mixer...
I love our fancy mixer. Not only are things blended in a gentle manner, as you so often want, they are hot/cooked and ready to use.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
She ( daughter ) started with beef cartilage, bones and a bunch of other innards. I guess it's supposed to be boiled until there is nothing on the bones. The cartilage gets pulled out after 15 hours or so... quite edible btw.

Along the way she learned Korean cooking and that's how the Koreans make their beef soup.

Oh, we do have an authentic Fagor pressure cooker and a very nice 6 burner Viking gas range top with those big, oversized burners...

I don't need no expen$$$ive electric pot. Trust me, for the time being, natural gas is still cheaper than electricity,.. and I love the act of cooking, I enjoy the act of cooking. It's not just the end result but the path.

Having the Fagor whistle it's way -and running us out of the kitchen- for 30 minutes is fun... but... getting the big enameled pot, browing the meats and then putting it in the big convection oven for four hours to braise the beef.... well... it's enjoyment. It's a great thing to do in the winter.

Note: Daughter had that pot in the kitchen while we were running the AC. Hmm....

BTW, today I'm gonna make beef ribs in the sous vide... for Sunday dinner. Takes about 48 hours at 131F.

So tonight I thought of Tony. He has all that Italian stuff going for him so I hope I don't insult by doing this. I somehow think I'm going to learn a lesson about ravioli here, but I did it anyway. Tony, for you, I have Calhounioli.

AP flour
Whole eggs
Olive oil
Himalayan salt
Dried Italian seasoning
Mix in the traditional way and rest for 1 hour.

Run it through the rollers to the desired thickness.

Filling:
Mozzarella
Fried shallots in a bag. Run through a fine colander to ensure very small pieces.

Sauce: Tomato based, not made yet. Probably mushrooms added.
Topped with cheese, maybe broiled, we'll see.

The ravioli are now resting, awaiting cutting.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1174.jpeg
    IMG_1174.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 25
Joined 2010
Paid Member
You called me Italian..... you Canuck, you! :rolleyes:

I buy my ravioli frozen from Costco.

Although my daughter has made some outstanding mushroom and truffle ravioli.

BTW, I got that fancy Kitchen Aid pasta maker too... I've never used it. My daughter used it once. We get our pasta from... Costco or Trader Joe's.

She ( daughter ) started with beef cartilage, bones and a bunch of other innards.
Sounds like a great combination. She is obviously very skilled.
The cartilage gets pulled out after 15 hours or so... quite edible btw.
By cartilage, I am wondering if you mean things like tendons (collagen, a great jelly agent), or the actual ends of bones (cartilage)?
that's how the Koreans make their beef soup.
They should talk to the Vietnamese.
Fagor pressure cooker
Nice looking unit but a vessel from years gone by. No longer required as things advance.
I don't need no expen$$$ive electric pot. Trust me, for the time being, natural gas is still cheaper than electricity,..
My Instantpots cost less to purchase and less to operate than your Fagor. Besides, it's all about the ability to do the job and the convenience. My stovetop pressure cookers are now at the goodwill.
BTW, today I'm gonna make beef ribs in the sous vide... for Sunday dinner. Takes about 48 hours at 131F.
Sounds great. If you score or peel the silverskins and increase the temperature a bit, reduce the time to 24 hours and you might find the texture is more to your liking. Kind of mushy when I did it the way you are planning. Same with others I have tried.
I am looking forward to hearing how yours turn out.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Cal Weldon You are most apologized... paisano.. ;)

Yep, daughter better be skilled... with the money that went into her.

Yes, tendons where in there... but I guess the trick is not to allow the soup to thicken at all. Thus the looong simmering time. She ended up with like 8 quart containers, pretty strong so they are diluted when prepped. She made an awesome kimchee and mushroom soup. Wow!

Fagor... I'm old fashioned. To me, the journey is as important as the destination... that's why my NCore MC eval board is still sitting on the shelf while I'm on a journey of A5, A2, F4, F5, SIT, tubes, etc, etc... and playing the LP12. I mean, I do have awesome digital set ups too. but... but...

Digital is to Analog what the microwave and the Instapot are to iron pots and pans and 18,000 BTW gas burners.

BTW- I didn't know Fagor was a Spanish company when we bought ours eons ago. I just know it 'felt right" when I got it, looked at it and used it. Must be a genetic predisposition... like my old Expobar Office Lever espresso machine that served us so well for 15 years.

Beef ribs... no... no... 48 hours. The trick is 131F, they don't get mushy at all.

BTW, as I went to cut the ribs, I realized they are sliced.... turns out daughter bought them at the Korean shop and they are designed for grilling... so they can not be braised... dang it... 65 bucks of ribs!!! They look beautiful, marbled, etc... so Plan B.

Yakiniku dinner on Sunday. Outside in the atrium. Beef, rice, kimchee (we got two types), shredded cabbage, sliced tomatoes, cold soft artisan tofu and tempura zuccinni, kabocha and maybe shrimp. With good beer and IPA. Over the top? Sure! It's a Sunday Dinner. I'll take pictures.

Last edited:
You called me Italian..... you Canuck, you! :rolleyes:

I buy my ravioli frozen from Costco.

I think you ASAP should stop eating Italian food in US and have a trip to Italy, particularly in Emilia-Romagna if you want to try real ravioli, otherwise anywhere else for the other hundreds and hundreds of Italian food specialties (Italy is narrow and long...)

Cheers,
Gaetano.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was in Italy as a kid... spent five months. Napoli..... ( Yeah, I know, I know ).

Food was excellent.

When I make pasta, I just boil it, toss it with good olive oil and lots of reggiano parmesan. That with some bread, a simple tossed salad ( don't forget the olives ) and red wine.

I might add some green peas, fresh tomatoes, basil, chicken, bacon, grilled salmon to it... not too much. I've even added white beans and corn. Again, not too much.

It's not that I don't like the many Italian cuisines, they are fantastic... it's just that I have only one life to live so I concentrate on cooking Iberian and Japanese. With a fusion of Pacific, some Latin American and French/North American.

My wife likes to meddle in Greek stuff too and we love Persian and Indian as well. Moroccan is something we've become interested too.

Naturally... Hunan, Funan, Cantonese.

Nothing against Italia... great food...

Look, my daughter made a great risotto the other day. With mushrooms, chicken, three kinds of cheese... she spent an hour cooking it. Meaning, she was actively cooking (chopping, fryings, stirring...) for over an hour. It was truly true to form. you would have loved it, we did.

But, I can take bomba rice, saffron, smoked paprika and a few ingredients and make a paella in an hour too, but half of that is the rice just minding its own business while I sip on a good IPA or a glass of wine. Pop some frozen buns in the oven and make a simple salad... again, ten minutes of my time.

Not that I'm as "american" as Cal, he's more pragmatic with such things as me. (1) .. ergo his usage of them new fangled Insta Pot (2), while I "labor" with my Fagor pressure bomb in the making... but, but.... making pasta from scratch for me is just not in the cards.

(1) Weird he's making that pasta from scratch.... chacun à son goût, I guess.

(2) Heck, if the ever make an Instapot-microwave oven combo, Cal will never touch a range top again... I fear.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmm.. .that's a non sequitur. If you meant between an Electric Vehicle (FCEV, Serial Hybrid, even BEV (*) ) and a purely mechanical ICE drive... I could understand, but the V8 and the I4 ( could be a flat four too ) are still the same... they all have a transmission.

Not that I want to get into that discussion.... but we've owned a lot of cars over the years given my Better Half's employer. And, although we've always thought that Heaven was somewhere around 6500 rpm as the intake secondaries opened up and the motor raced to its 8150 rpm redline.... it turns out that the FCEV and serial hybrids we've had ( FCEV, iMMD and PHEV ) are actually much nicer to drive because of the lack of a transmission, the low noise and the huge torque off the line.

Sure, I can heel and toe very nicely and use ABS aggressively to do trailing throttle into the apex... but it turns out that our current rear torque steering iVTM4 with paddle shifters is actually quicker.... crazy that a 4400 SUV can be driven so fast with no hint of over/understeer.

Besides, I can carry more pots and pans in the SUV that I could in the hatchbacks of yore.

(*) I don't much care for the BEVs. Battery energy storage is, IMHO, a dead end. System wise I think it's more efficient to use a small, low pumping losses ICE as generator in a serial hybrid or carrying hydrogen as the energy source. Both are also easy to refuel.