The food thread

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have been trying a new tea.. ginger, lemon and turmeric. Unfortunately I don't think the flavours come together in a way that I can enjoy it without thinking about it. I might just go and make myself a cup of Earl Grey.

tlg.jpg

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I used that ginger and lemon tea in Oxford(without turmeric) for the first time when I cought a cold.It worked wonders.That tea can't be found in my country unfortunately, but I also made a predictable discovery.
Medicinal teas work the same as pills.If you take them for too long they get ineffective.When I recommended that same tea to a young british girl that used it often she said it has no effect .
I never used that tea before and it was the most effective tea I tried .
Some combinations don't work.
For example gargling calendula and chamomile mixed tea if you think they'll get more effective if you have some throat sores.They have one common basic antiinflamatory substance but put together they cancel each other somehow.
Same with salvia and rosemary...share one common basic substance that's the most potent in both, put together ...worse than clear watter.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Also ginger and lemon is not the best thing for your stomach ...I'd use it only if I need it. If you only eat or drink medicines all your bacteria adapts to it and they become worthless.
Eating less food is the best cure.We eat or drink too much of anything in general.
I had a biology teacher in highschool and she was preaching everyone the green tea for its anticancer properties ehen she moved eith her job in one of the most famous herbal medicines factory we have , drinking daily a lot of it herself ...She died of cancer a few years ago at 45 years old...

Candied turmeric
Fresh turmeric, washed, peeled, sliced, dried in shade 3 days.
Then lemon juice, salt, sugar powder added, tossed, further dried 2 days.
Nice mouth freshener.

Fresh turmeric is seasonal, looks like ginger but slightly more brown. Harvest is twice a year, so available 4 months a year. Same texture and hardness as ginger.

It is dried then powdered.
Most blender blades break when you do it at home, Braun and most Western makes did that.
Indian ones are more rugged.
Unless you get the fresh root, do not put in a blender, just buy the powder from a reputed place. Here powder is sometimes adulterated, Canada should be safe about it.
Dried root can be crushed and the coarse powder used in cooking.
Needs a hammer like force, not many people do it.

Attachments

• 20230114_114818.jpg
    20230114_114818.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Naresh, is turmeric root readily available to you? I see it in a number of stores here but have not bought it as I’ve not used it, so wouldn’t know where to start. If it is significantly better than the powder, I will considea it but I don’t know.
Its quite easy to grow Cal, you can find fresh rhizomes for planting online rather inexpensive ($10/lb +/-) we just harvested the one we had on our porch last week, i should have took pictures but we replanted it all.
Was slightly disappointed to find out we had white turmeric (curcuma zeodaria) instead of the normal yellow variety (curcuma longa) i ordered some yellow yesterday so next winter ill have both.
Here‘s a pic of the mother plant, we got about 6lbs of roots and replanted most all, but the smallest we saved for eating…..the white version has a mellow ginger flavor raw and is nice in salads, gonna try pickling it next year.

Attachments

• C0363AA8-6148-484F-80BA-3C007753105A.jpeg
    C0363AA8-6148-484F-80BA-3C007753105A.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 35
Salted, smoked bacon is to pork what a SiT is to a Class A amp....

Both are awesome, but you need a lot less bacon than pork chops.
We have bacon and we have bacon. Belly for one and and loin for the other. I use a heavier brine for the belly bacon. The back bacon is really just a ham brine so is less salty. You are able to eat as much back bacon as you would pork chops, but if you ate that much belly bacon, you're just being a piggy with a salt addiction.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0594.jpeg
    IMG_0594.jpeg