The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I don't know the sea fishing rules (other than Tuna are a no no to keep). I was quoting freshwater. Funnily the man made lake in the business park where I work has a lot of fish in it and they are apparantly the property of the park so cannot be removed. Funny because they never stocked the lake and everything just swam in from the river that feeds it.

I don't know the sea fishing rules (other than Tuna are a no no to keep). I was quoting freshwater. Funnily the man made lake in the business park where I work has a lot of fish in it and they are apparantly the property of the park so cannot be removed. Funny because they never stocked the lake and everything just swam in from the river that feeds it.
If the lake was on your land, would you let anyone take away your fish/property without your permission?

We have plenty of amphibians in our garden pond that were never introduced by us, they must have made their own way there:love:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just think it's cheeky when they didn't stock the lake. If you'd spend 20k on game fish to stock your lake so you could fleece people that's a different matter.

Of course in parts of America they drop the fish from planes to restock lakes after all the Bob's have come along and eaten them :D

Reactions: 1 user
It seems the rules for freshwater fish, and fishing season, are decided by individual US states, it would be better to check what is allowed, and what is forbidden in each area.

We get fingerlings in ponds after the first rains, mostly the locals eat them as small finger food. They rarely grow to a decent size.

I just think it's cheeky when they didn't stock the lake. If you'd spend 20k on game fish to stock your lake so you could fleece people that's a different matter.

Of course in parts of America they drop the fish from planes to restock lakes after all the Bob's have come along and eaten them :D
One of those bits we got into our laws is all game belongs to the King including the fish. Slightly changed to the state! (You can purchase a license to fish from the state!) All navigable waterways also belong to the state.

Navigable at one point was defined as allowing a boat to pass two years out of every ten. Another was if a tide could be detected. As today we can measure the tidal pull even in a bathtub, the rule changed. Most of what is now state owned is grandfathered in. I suspect the pond in your case might also belong to the state!

My office building parking lot was a small stream, that originally was owned by the then local Seneca Indians. As they fought for the British during the local revolutionary war, under a treaty from 1792 their lands went to the federal government. Then to land grants to a fellow who was a scoundrel because he was manufacturing finished goods so far away from the coast and in violation of British colonial law. (The colonies were to send agricultural goods to Britain and receive all manufactured goods from Britain.)

The scoundrel became Quartermaster General of the revolutionary army! As he could provide firearms and shot. As the new country really couldn’t pay him, they gave him land. As a very respectable and honored citizen, there is locally one town named after him, along with one thoroughfare! Today a well respected and honored name! But I must admit his descendants are deservingly well respected for their own accomplishments.

After the state diverted the stream to build a road, the now dry land reverted to the adjacent property owner. At the time the owner did not know that. As a result the new dry land became an illegal trash dump, as no one was taking care of it. When I bought my property, a survey came with it. As the survey did not match the legal property description, I did a bit of research.

Most of what I learned reinforced what my great uncle had taught me anecdotally. He had done a bit of surveying. Places like the Los Angeles river route for the Hoover Dam being build in Bolder Colorado, a place in Arizona called “The Grand Canyon National Park” and the he was officially retired and help do the borders in a new place now being called Israel.

I spoke to the fellow who provided the inaccurate survey of my property and he had cribbed it from a prior version. (A real professional No-No!)

So I paved over the new land and use it as my parking lot. Now if someone were to try to claim it based on the bad survey, they now have an additional issue. My second tittle claim also coming from British law is the right of Adverse Possession, having paved and used it exclusively as my parking lot for well more than 21 years.

Of course the closest this post mentions relating to food is fishing. So I should stray back on subject and mention food trucks very occasionally use my parking lot.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I suspect the pond in your case might also belong to the state!
It's a lake (water flows in and out. ponds only have an ingress, but you knew that :D). It was build in the late 90s so def not owned by the state. There is a brook that runs from my village* to the business park and ends up in the main river and they just dug a hole and let it fill up.

Reading is built on a flat area where two rivers meet. Handy for the vikings who founded it, but not good for a town of 350k people. Quoting Monty Python 'they said you couldn't build a castle on a swamp'. The business park was build on a farmers flood defenses and the lake is supposed to prevent flooding. It's been enlarged a couple of times when the water filled the carparks.

Note: I live a safe distance from the swampy bits.

*Have spotted crayfish in the brook. Now Signal crayfish are a pest and can be fished and eaten, but native crayfish are protected. Almost impossible to tell them apart and both are good eating.

I normally expect real estate features to be ponds. Around here a lake would require modifying a waterway that would be considered navigable and thus belong to the state. Even then the new lake would belong to the state.

In general is a fishing license required? (I believe you use the spelling my spell check fergelbates over. “Liscense.”

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pond has a clear definition of no outflow. Lake has in and out. Over your way you do lakes bigger than england of course. I think the village has 6 ponds of various swampyness (we do still have village duckponds around here)

Yes you need a license to fish, or a good pair of running shoes.

Both the states of North Carolina and Florida allow residents to fish with a cane pole/no reel and live bait without a license (in their own county only) I’ve done it several times and actually resembles fly fishing a little bit!
In the U.S. the individual states govern the waters inland and into salt water to the state boundaries which vary (In Florida its 9 miles out on Gulf side/3 miles out on Atlantic side) Then NOAA governs Federal waters out to the international boundaries.
Back years ago (pre 2009 in FL) residents didnt need a license for salt water but someone had to pay for the grouper trooper’s salaries! (Thats how we ’lovingly’ refer to the Florida Fish and Wildlife officers) ;)

Edit…. Made Mediterranean style snapper in the oven last night because the wind never died down enough to grill outside, had some eggplants still coming in so tried this recipe in a clay pot in the oven……..it was dang good! Forgot to take pics but here‘s the recipe i used for influence. https://www.michaelponzio.com/recipe/eggplant-wrapped-snapper/

Last edited:
Ive heard sturgeon are good eating, we have a semi-healthy population of gulf sturgeon here in the Apalachicola and Suwannee rivers…….even taking one out of the water if caught accidentally is a punishable act!
They are smaller than those giant white sturgeon out west……i think they get to 200lb or so, still big enough to injure/kill boaters as they like to jump up to 6’ into the air :oops:

Pumpkin risotto with saffron. Happy Halloween.

. IMG_20221025_212801_578.jpg

Good looking aubergines too! How do you like to prepare those? My wife is very fond of baba ganoush so I like to puncture the eggplants with a fork and throw them on the charcoal grill, usually after a main dish has been cooked and the coals are cooling down a bit. Once it is soft and cool she can scoop out the flesh and mix with salt, garlic, a little oil, lemon juice, and a bit of tahini.
I also just like thick slices brushed with oil, seasoned, and cooked on the grill until soft. And tian is a lovely variant of ratatouille that makes a great meal with some hunks of crusty bread.

Those cubanelles look great, amazing yield for one plant, and I love that you let your jalapenos fully ripen and turn red. Do you also harvest seeds from the peppers for next year's crop?

Reactions: 1 user