The food thread

Here in switzerland standard salt is made with iodine, 80 years ago goiter was a real problem for a lot of people, problem cured with small amounts of iodine.
Just 2 weeks ago there was a report concerning this from a non swiss journalist in a very popular newsletter here

Salt is salt, but differs in taste, at least for me.
I often use the fleur du sel camargue , french sea salt , not very strong, i have four or five different kinds of salt i use depending of food, but for spaghetti i put standard cheap iodine salt into water, its ok for me.

Just right now i consume a fondue which is salty by nature of cheese, so we add other stuff like nutmeg to lower the salty feeling.
Just my :2c:

Except the taste?
Unless you are using an unprocessed sea salt (not available in my neck of the woods) coarse, rock and sea, are all the same, whether they came from the ocean recently or not. Table salt is a different matter.
Na, I think he got magnesium correct?
Yes he did and for that I apologize. Sorry Steve and thank you tobydog.
At my age, sometimes the gray matter fails you. Years past, are just that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi billshurv

I reduced my collection of audio gear, Duettas still at home and the Full Range sitting in my new smaller workshop, waiting for frame upgrade and foils( i have on stock), the active XO ( Krell KBX 3 way balanced are fitted with 6 dB filters is alredy ready, but i can also go up to 24 dB, i have the Filter Calculating SW on USB Stick and on old PC.

About iodine salt, here the government settled it by law for local production salt adding iodine. Can be a problem for allergic people like my ex wife, but the main problem around here is fixed.
I love to play with Himalaya or Maldon or Fleur de Sel, there is also black pyramid salt ( it was a gift from a spanish jamon dealer), but i also use often thai fish sauce for the flavour ( instad of anchovis for example) , there is also raw amounts of standard sea salt, sometimes i do a fish packed in salt crust and baking in the oven.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Most would be very happy with just those 2 pairs of speakers :D. It was rebuilt Duetta signatures I was listening to.

Mandated additives is an interesting thing. I'm not old enough to remember the diseases that caused them, but fortifying white flour and breakfast cereals certainly almost eradicated them. Would seem that farming practices put iodine into milk and cheese and that was enough in UK, but now more are switching to non-dairy diets may become an issue again. Also apparantly the use of iodine in cleaning products managed to get some into humans. I really don't want to think about the implications of that!

First date:

Attachments

• VET.png
    VET.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 69
Cal, have you seen / heard about his gadget yet?
https://store-ca.meater.com/products/meater-plus
I took delivery of one of those today. It's still charging (there is a replaceable AA battery in the holder, which charges the actual thermometer unit; not sure yet how long the charge is supposed to last). I will give it a work-out in the days and weeks to come. I will say they know a thing or two about product design and packaging. It comes in a sealed, very plain cardboard box (you open it by tearing off a strip) with very few markings. Inside is a fancier two-piece cardboard box; on the back are basic instructions, on the front the product name , and on one side a sort of pen-and-ink illustration of the product. When you open that, there is the bamboo holder with the probe. There is a battery compartment (a standard AA battery, included) on the back of the holder, which is also made of bamboo and held in place with magnets, and it is symmetrical so you don't need to worry about which way to orient it to fit (except magnets down). Also on the back of the holder are a couple of larger magnets so you can stick it to a handy ferrous surface. The holder charges the probe, and there is a tiny button on the front which activates a tiny LED to let you know the battery is OK. So you pop open the battery compartment, pull out the little insulating strip, and let the probe charge for a few hours. Download the app on your phone/tablet/whatever, start it up, remove the probe from the holder to turn it on, and pair it with your device.
The whole thing feels very solid, well-designed, and high quality. Of course "feel" does not always correlate to quality, so we'll see.

This is not very common here but I have stumbled across a street vendor who was selling sugar cane juice as though it were any other fruit juice. Recommended tasting.
I wish I could get that here, it would be great in a Ti Punch. (Having said that, maybe I can but don't know where to look. Quite a large Haitian population ariound here.)

I'll let you know, Bob. BTW, are you going to smoke all that "rosemary"? :)
I know that might be a joke but it turned a couple wheels……..i might just try to lightly smoke some, could add a little flavor to grilled chicken or pork. Nothing to lose really ive only got three lifetimes worth growing!

Heres what we do with sugar cane in the south…….mix with butter 50/50 on your plate and sop your buttermilk biscuits in it at breakfast……..you‘d smack yer grandma to get more!
Here‘s a video of Mr. Todd on making it.

Attachments

• 93080CE3-BBE8-4320-85E7-C5A8FD5BDA05.jpeg
    93080CE3-BBE8-4320-85E7-C5A8FD5BDA05.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Morton Salt is probably the largest salt company in the USA. They package Iodized and non-Iodized salt which are packaged the same except the label will state if it has Iodine or not.

The only salt I can taste a difference with is Hickory Smoked Salt.

WRT deer and hunting, we have eliminated all predators and without hunters the deer population explodes. One result is a dramatic increase in deer vs car incidents. Not good for the deer or car/occupants. This has been seen over and over in the US when hunting is restricted. We either re-introduce mountain lions as predators and accept the occasional attack on people, or we hunt to restrict the population.

When I was in South Carolina for Labor Day a friend gave me about 15 pounds of ground venison packed in 1 to 2 pound packs. The first one I tried was so mild it could be passed off as beef. I am thinking of making a batch of chili with the next one.