The food thread

>> Hawai’ian pizza.

You mean pineapple / ham ?
Sounds bad in the context of pizza
BUT !
My Grandma would bake ham with pineapple ...

Attachments

• Pineapple-Glazed-Ham.jpg
    Pineapple-Glazed-Ham.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 92
Fine, but this is canned smoked oysters and we’re talking pizza. Maybe ask your friend if that’s okay. If not, please apply the slipper treatment to their head. I did say pizza didn’t I?

Ah, so pizza must be the antidote:)

I'm not sure if he would be worried about your culinary preferences:)

He does represent a very exclusive Italian shoe company in the Middle East, I have tried on some of the very nice boots from their collection, I'm not sure if they have slippers in the range, perhaps you would like to try on a pair of boots?

PS
In Italy, they have a small head start of a few thousand years.....

Last edited:
Ah, so pizza must be the antidote:)
hehe, you were saying seafood and cheese don't go together. I agree.
I'm not sure if they have slippers in the range
The number one use for slippers around here is administering corporal punishment. Type, style, material and cost don't enter into the equation. Slipper treatment is slipper treatment.
perhaps you would like to try on a pair of boots?
Boots and me don't get along.

I get booted out of places
I get booted in the *** when I am bad
I once befriended an old boot and need antibiotics for it
I don't know my boots from my bonnets

No thanks, I stick to sandals and walking shoes
In Italy, they have a small head <snip>
Not the place to discuss this. Your local Neurologist might be able to assist

Last edited:
Back on topic, I am making open faced burgers from a combo of ground chuck and ground brisket.
It's a nasty afternoon out there so I might settle for simple pan fried tonight. Complements will include the usual.

Well, usual for around here that is. ;)

Ever add some pork to the burger mix? There is a joint around here that makes burgers with a house ground beef/pork mix which has been popular for a long time. I don't grind my own meat and seldom mix ground beef and pork, but my few experiments indicate it improves bot meat loaf and burgers. If you can grind your own pork shoulder along with the chuck you are in heaven.

Back on topic, I am making open faced burgers from a combo of ground chuck and ground brisket.
It's a nasty afternoon out there so I might settle for simple pan fried tonight. Complements will include the usual.

Well, usual for around here that is. ;)

#3 son is a foodie and he would do that after the trip to Costco, "flame-burgers". (then he got married and moved to California!)

I now make the burgers in a Lodge Pan, then crisp them up on the grill. Instant read thermom means 145F for me and 170F for mamselle.

Talkking about sleepers, enjoyed a great day today. Sunny weather and the thermometer almost reached 18 C.

Decided to go for salmon and just bake it in the oven with a sprinkle of olive oil and lemon pepper and salt with potatoes also baked in the oven.
We have an excellent fish shop in town where we can get fresh fish and the owner makes a great "sandwich cake" and the caviar sauce. I could murder to get me some of that sauce.

Had half a bottle of Austrian dry riesling.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 67
Ever add some pork to the burger mix?
Yes.
but my few experiments indicate it improves bot meat loaf and burgers.
Especially meat loaf.
If you can grind your own pork shoulder along with the chuck you are in heaven.
Yes, shoulder is ideal. A lot of nice dark rich meat and a good amount of both fat and sinew. Chuck is also ideal.

I now make the burgers in a Lodge Pan, then crisp them up on the grill.
IIRC correctly, a lodge pan is a fancy name for a big ol' cast iron skillet?
Instant read thermom means 145F for me and 170F for mamselle.
If you want to have fun and only have to cook a small number, I like to use the panini press.

Cooks super fast
Gives you nice char lines
Gives you a decent amount of smoke taste
No flare ups
Clean up is easy

Problem is you can only do two regular or four small burgers at a time. Not always a problem as they are done so quickly with heat on both sides at once.

As for when no one is looking, I will give the meat a two hour soak in a nitrite bath before rinsing and grinding. That way you can have a rare burger and never have to worry about that grumble in your stomach at 2 am. I know it's only that last beer that's 'bugging' me.

Slipper treatment:eek:, do please elaborate what you would like me do on your behalf.....

Didn't your Mom ever hold up a slipper and suggest in no uncertain terms that you had better behave from that moment going forward? My Mom didn't have to chase me or smack with the thing. Slippers were held in high regard and somewhat revered in my childhood. We just froze in our tracks.

Talkking about sleepers, enjoyed a great day today. Sunny weather and the thermometer almost reached 18 C.

A beautiful day and a simple but elegant meal served on your home office desk on a place mat that should have been put away 4 or 5 months ago.

I like your style Magnus, I bet we would get along just fine. :)

Didn't your Mom ever hold up a slipper and suggest in no uncertain terms that you had better behave from that moment going forward? My Mom didn't have to chase me or smack with the thing. Slippers were held in high regard and somewhat revered in my childhood. We just froze in our tracks.

No, never, not even threaten me. She did smack me once when I was about 3 or 4 when we went to London in the early 60's to see her uncle who was a police sergent who was involved with Royal duties. We had been walking all day and I complained that my legs were aching. Probably out of her desperation from her part. She recollected it to me shortly before she passed away and had said that she had always felt guilty.

Enjoy your cheese

Do I have cheese or are you describing the way I smile?

My mother was unable to offer up the guilt before she passed as that nasty thing called oldtimers (please correct the spelling if you know of what I speak) took her in 2012.

She was the inspiration behind my interest in food. When I was about 8 years old, she said you better learn to cook and clean as you don't strike me as highly prized marriage material. I thank her for that brutal love.

Pork sweet satay kebabs tonight. The pork sirloin was marinated in a mixture of brown sugar, garlic, soy sauce, a little cumin, oil, and chili flakes, then threaded on skewers and grilled. Some other skewers held vegetables. I had some leftover peanut sauce that I made a few days ago for fresh spring rolls, which made a nice topper for the pork.

Testing out my own savoury twist on oats.
1 small onion
2 white button mushrooms
Clove of garlic
Bit of sunflower oil
Splash of decent vinegar
Chilies to taste
Water
Salt
Decent amount of oats

Fried the onions in the oil for a bit, splash of vinegar, then toss in the rest except for the oats, season to taste, add oats.
Was quite good actually.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_082901_814.jpg
    IMG_20210529_082901_814.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 64
A beautiful day and a simple but elegant meal served on your home office desk on a place mat that should have been put away 4 or 5 months ago.

I like your style Magnus, I bet we would get along just fine. :)

I had my dinner in my livingroom listening to some VERY NICE music (Memories of Machines - Warm Winter). When playing warm winter mussic, you cannot have a mat with flowers, birds, butterflies and naked women sipping boatdrinks and ... OCH! Got carried away a little :eek:.

Sometimes the simplest is the best. Throwing some peperoni, mushrooms, sliced squash, tomatoes cut in half and really good sausages on a grill, beats the most intricate French fiddlery.