The food thread

Lol!

I was one of two white guys working as a loudspeaker assembler for a prosound manufacturer here in nearby Berkeley. The vast majority of the other 25+ members of the crew were Asian immigrants. We were on a lunch break one day so I went to the grocery store next door and as a break from my usual burrito, I grabbed some readymade rice dish to eat instead. I get back to the lunch room and twenty pairs of eyes fell on me as I ate. Finally a coworker gave me a nudge and told me that everyone was astonished to see me use chopsticks.

I miss that crew.

I get back to the lunch room and twenty pairs of eyes fell on me as I ate. Finally a coworker gave me a nudge and told me that everyone was astonished to see me use chopsticks.

Many of my friends at MIT were Chinese so I have used them since 1969. Got a stare last time I was in China, we had a small bowl of some kind of salted soybean or nut condiment at each seat and as we talked I was eating mine one at a time in rapid fashion without a miss.

We finally purchased some stainless chopsticks for the home. I think it they make Chinese dishes, sushi and ramen taste better or at least feel more “authentic”, even if it’s just a matter of subjective trickery. Would love to come across some ivory chopsticks at an estate sale or the like.

When wifey was in hospital with #3, having preeclampsia which necessitated me minding #1 and #2 for an extended period, I would take the young men to "First Wok" on First Ave in NYC after our visit with her. One of the waiters showed my guys how to use chop-sticks. The waiters would also sat with one or the other of the boys when I took them to the loo. Such extraordinary kindness!

Here’s some Japanese ones my wife picked up this week because she also does not like our SS reusables:

Attachments

• EAAA0239-7CA0-4764-8AFE-019DE0CFFA01.jpg
    EAAA0239-7CA0-4764-8AFE-019DE0CFFA01.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 140
I’m planning a Scottish dinner for this coming Sunday (Robert Burns Day eve). I found a local butcher who makes haggis on this occasion only and is taking preorders. Very excited to try it.

Meal plan:
Soup: ****-a-leekie
Main: haggis w/ clapshot & curly kale
Dessert: Cranachan

I’m making an excess of soup in the event that the haggis is not to everyone’s liking. Regardless, there will be plenty of scotch whisky to go round.

Replies from any Scottish forum members are encouraged!

Re: the above.

How does Talisker 10 year sound as the accompanying beverage?

The local grocery had hamburger on sale for $1.99 a pound. So far made a few pounds of chili and a few burgers. Not a fan of meatloaf, so most of it went into the freezer in useable quantity bags.

It was labelled as 27% fat. Didn't look it and based on what I have cooked so far it seems to really be 10% or less. I think the store meat cutter screwed up and wanted to get rid of the evidence.

Scott of course would make it into glafook or something.