The food thread

Sacrilege around here, but my sous vide coc au vin which I immediately froze turned out great. To be fair, I did cook the onions/mushrooms and reduce the wine partially before sv to ensure that everything didn't taste boiled. Thaw in the fridge for a couple of days, then reheat/finish the chicken on a skillet and have a high quality meal in a few minutes*. Especially nice with work being so demanding lately.

*Prep work and SV over the weekend but allows this bachelor to start expanding into a variety of meals in batches. I'm just happy this technique lets me do braised meals in a manner conducive to my present lifestyle.

Turned out much better than I expected. Air-fryer eggplant. Light coating of corn flour, egg wash, a dip in panko seasoned with garlic powder, adobo and grated Parmesan cheese. Air fryer for ~4 minutes per side. Crunchy on the outside, melted on the inside.

Attachments

• Eggplant.jpg
    Eggplant.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 123
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Looks and sounds delicious Jack!

I am braising another huge mule deer shank for tonight. Seasoned with homemade shawarma seasoning and olive oil, browned under the broiler, then dropped on a bed of rough mirepoix with a good splash or 3 of cheap red wine, bit of rosemary and bay leaf. Covered in the ceramic turkey roaster and into the oven at 300 for about 5 hours.

Attachments

• shank.jpg
    shank.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 117
Looks and sounds delicious Jack!

I am braising another huge mule deer shank for tonight. Seasoned with homemade shawarma seasoning and olive oil, browned under the broiler, then dropped on a bed of rough mirepoix with a good splash or 3 of cheap red wine, bit of rosemary and bay leaf. Covered in the ceramic turkey roaster and into the oven at 300 for about 5 hours.

Oh my, that looks amazing!

I was craving Thai for dinner and didn't want to go out so I made Shrimp/scallop red curry with an egg roll.

Basic Coconut milk, Red, yellow and green bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, red curry paste, peanut butter, Shrimp and scallops. everything cooked separate and and kept warm to blended at the last minute. served over a blend of Black, Red and Brown Rice.

My chain Chinese restaurant that I used to buy frozen egg rolls to take home went out of business so I am stuck with Wally Land, Kroger, Food city offerings.

Attachments

• 20201215_190058.jpg
    20201215_190058.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Saturday is Cal's birthday. Since we can't really go out and paint the town, Hanh asked me what I wanted to do.
I thought about it for a minute and said, hey, it's not a special birthday (58) and because it will be raining, I'd like to stay in, drink eggnog and play in the kitchen.

She looked at me funny.

"Really? On your birthday? Sigh... okay as you wish, I'll go shopping on Friday after work. Make a list."

I said "no my dear, as my loving and devoted wife, I want you to stay the hell out of the kitchen. Besides, for what I have in mind, I need to start the shopping on Thursday" (he said with an evil grin).

One of her eyes rolled back in her head and the other had a bit of a gleam to it.

"Uh-huh, what's up big galoot"

"You'll see" (another one of those grins)

So the idea is to have an extravagant yet straightforward type night. Something that only a handful of restaurants might be able to offer at any given time. Something that each dish is something you look forward to. ie: no filler foods. No potatoes, rice, pasta, grits, pot barley, bread or anything even close. Just guilty pleasure foods. What the heck, this is dinner for two, it's my birthday and I can do what I want, right?

So, I now have everything I need except dessert.

On to the menu. I have not decided in what order, but I know these items thus far:

Tuna Sashimi
Chilled shrimp with dipping sauce
Bacon wrapped scallops
Garlic butter lobster
Lox
Oysters Rockefeller
Beef wrapped asparagus
Artichoke hearts
Assorted fermented veggies

Portuguese tarts and/or?

Beer
Eggnog
Daiquiris

The king requested a special feast. He gazed upon the evening's menu. The king was pleased.

Me too. :)

Last edited:
Oysters Rockefeller should be made with Absinthe, not Pernod.

Nice!

Regrettably, the "Oyster Bar" in the basement of Grand Central Station has been closed. This venerable institution goes the way of the 21 Club. Quarantine and government officialdom (braintrust in Albany) has resulted in the collapse of the NYC restaurant industry, yet restaurant dining accounted for only 1.4% of rona infections.

The best oysters in NYC (inmho) were served by a restaurant frequented by the judges and lawyers of the Brooklyn bar "Gage and Tollner". Pre-kids we lived in Brooklyn Hts just north of the joint. Gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Regrettably, the "Oyster Bar" in the basement of Grand Central Station has been closed. This venerable institution goes the way of the 21 Club.

I must admit my meals at "institutions" have been universally unsatisfactory with few exceptions. The worst probably Lutece in NY when André Soltner was in charge in the 80's heyday. Duck with canned peaches because they were the "best French white peaches" and candied orange slices where 1/2 of them were totally desiccated from poor provenance.

OTOH the selection of terrines at the start were spectacular.