The food thread

Not really trying to defend the eating of whale or glorify it, but the whole thing is very polarizing.

I would be more concerned with chicken, cattle or pigs from the mass produced stuff you find neatly wrapped in plastic at the supermarket.

I actually had no idea whale was commonly(?) eaten in Norway until you told me, I was only relating my experience, I'm sure someone can make an appetizing dish with shark but in Iceland they make hakari. I have no strong feelings either way though whale encompasses many species some of which are endangered.

We try to buy as much of our meat from local farmers as we can at considerable expense over industrially raised meat.

24 beer in a case, 24 hrs in a day. Coincidence?
I think not.
I'm sure someone can make an appetizing dish with shark
Spiny Dogfish when gutted, skinned and brined for 24 hours in an acid and salt bath (to reduce the alkalinity) can be pretty good when cooked properly. We also used for them for bait in our crab taps.

As a kid, your Saturday morning bacon strips caught the Bullheads on rod and reel
The chopped Bullheads caught the Dogfish on heavy duty steel leader
The chopped Dogfish caught the Dungeness in the traps.
Dungeness caught the girls.

Life was so easy back then. I miss those days. All I needed was a bicycle, a fishing rod, a heavy spool with a wire leader and a pyramid trap.

Sigh.

Well folks, we are underway. Once again, the stars of the show are:
Brie cheese
Pacific oysters
Boneless chicken thighs
Spatchcock duck
Beef back ribs

Attachments

• DSCN5366.jpg
    DSCN5366.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 67
So I was having a little trouble with the oysters falling through the racks and my genius wife says "why don't you run a toothpick through them?"

I love my wife. :)

The cheese is off now and wrapped back up for at least a couple hours.

The oysters are off and into their marinade of oyster liquor, hot sauce, lime juice, salt and erythritol. Ready in about 6 hours for hors d'oeuvres.

Gimp,
Yes, the new smoker has done wonders for my liver. The old homemade one, you were on duty every 30-40 minutes so all you could do was sit around and get beer faced, then hopefully remember to change the sawdust before it turned to ash. This one allows me to get beer faced and not worry about the smoking. Temp and bisquette puck feed are automatic. All I have to do is remember to remove the burnt pucks from the water bowl every few hours :)

:cool:

Your making me jealous! Water has been kindly murky around here from all the rain.....even though this month has a R at the end I’m a bit skeptical about runoff , so waitin for another month or so.

Speaking of oyster flavored chicken......back when we first moved down here there was a restaurant (Caroline’s) that had a oyster omelet on the menu, it sounded so disgusting I figured it had to be good so I gave it a test run and it was surprisingly good (like really good!).

Last edited:
This one the oysters weren’t breaded, folded like a regular omelet, probably 3 eggs and 3 oysters, had spinach, green onions, and some sliced fresh red cayenne peppers (or some kind of skinny hot red pepper) salt/pepper, it was quite heavy on the butter.

Simple but good, the place has been closed down for two or three years now so there’s no telling for sure but it wasn’t complicated as that hang town fry.

Speaking of oysters -- in bygone Brooklyn NY the restaurant "Gage and Tollner" was a favorite of the lawyers for the Brooklyn bar, i.e. Court Street -- they (restaurnat, not the lawyers) served every type of bivalve available in eastern N, America and made some incredible fried oyster dishes. Me and mamselle lived one block north, right on the Bklyn side of the upper bay of Manhattan with a view onto NYC. We went there quite often!

Not like growing up in Lake Wobegone!

Genius wife to the rescue again.
I was thinking of giving the beets a head start for fermenting by giving them a bit of scalding and a few minutes soaking. Mrs. Weldon say use the Instapot and you won't need a peeler. Sure enough, 7 minutes plus cooling not only softened the beets just a little but when you grab it and give it a bit of a squeeze and twist, the skin comes right off, just like with eggs. So I just saved a whole bunch of time and save the skin on my fingers.
Now I can hear you asking 'but wait Cal won't fermenting make the beets sour?' Yes Grasshopper but I also added some Splenda to get that sweet and sour effect that seems so popular with 'pickled' beets. I'll know in about a week.