The food thread

Simple, tasty & healthy:D
Arugula pesto & pasta. With tomato&green onions salad.

Attachments

• image000000_03.jpg
    image000000_03.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 90
May I suggest that the Lobster Po-Boys sold in New Orleans, are superior in every way to the Lobster Rolls sold in New Hamster. In my opinion of course.

I doubt they do it correctly ...... criteria is not complicated but cannot be deviated from!

1.) top loader (flat sided) hotdog bun.

2.) claw meat only (that rules out those gulf spiny lobsters!)

3.) melted butter

That’s it.....no tarter sauce, no onion, celery, mayonnaise......ask any purist and they will corroborate. ;)

They call that lobster rolls. Very common in New England even some Mickey Ds sell them.

Lobster meat in a hot dog bun. Some dressed with tartar sauce, but I prefer the ones dripping with melted butter.

I have heard of those... Best one in recent memory was from a little joint just outside Cheticamp, on Cape Breton Island. We had walked the Skyline Trail in the national park and we were pretty hungry, but were having dinner with friends a bit later so didn't want to eat too much, so the missus and I split a lobster roll. We got it to go and drove a couple of km further down the coast to a little pull-off, near Cap le Moyne I think, and sat in the car staring out at the sun dazzling off the Gulf of St Lawrence, passing the lobster roll back and forth. That was a good day. It was Canada Day, too, July 1st, but I don't remember which year, maybe 2018.

That’s it.....no tarter sauce, no onion, celery, mayonnaise......ask any purist and they will corroborate. ;)

You would not get far in Maine. Deep fried Southern style does not compute for me. A lobster club sandwich in curacao was the best warm water lobster for me, everything from the garden herbs to the bread was made on site.

Last edited:
The discussion about bacon fat reminded me of the bacon fat container with a strainer inside.

I remember one from when I was a kid, and had one up until the late 80s when cholesterol was all the news. I guess i threw mine out. I have been using mason jars to keep mine in until recently and I bought this. Not quite the same as I remember and the original was red, taller and not as wide.

Attachments

• 20200411_170947.jpg
    20200411_170947.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 83