The food thread

What's for dinner tonight :) Oh yeah I have the Acorn squash to cook up.
I will try nezbleu pumpkin recipe with the squash, sounds to be interesting.
You guys make it easier for me, thanks. I will let you know what finicky Ma has to say :) should be interesting. She said the soup was too hot and all I added was garlic and ground black pepper.
I have never had grits before, I do not recall seeing any in the grocer? I will ask, I guess I have to go to Sobey's or equiv.

What's for dinner tonight :) Oh yeah I have the Acorn squash to cook up.
Here it's more of the Kabocha
too hot and all I added was garlic and ground black pepper.
Don't add black pepper to a soup and then cook, add it only when serving. Trust me.
I have never had grits before, I do not recall seeing any in the grocer?
Not to worry, it's not a highlight of any meal. In a restaurant it's to make sure you don't complain there's not enough food on the plate. On a farm it makes sure the labour force doesn't go hungry. It's another version of polenta, or bulgar wheat or cream of wheat or any grain or any place you ran out of ideas of what to do with with dried crushed grains and needed to feed the masses. IOW peasant food.

Last edited:
Success, Ma liked it, roasted garlic and all. Me too. She asked for more pasta, so she could lick up the rest of the secret sauce :)
Should I try grits with Ma? :) I'll tell her it is Polenta, she is pure Italian.

Cheers, still have more squash in the garden Thx

Hey, glad you (and she) liked it! It's one of those dishes that surprises a bit, you wouldn't think the roasted gourd would make a "sauce" so easily. It's actually a recipe from a Gordon Ramsay book. I assume he stole it from someone else..?

Bite your Canadian tongue
I do about every second day. It's because I eat delicious food, not wall paper paste, like grits.
Geez, did I say that out loud?
Hey, everyone has their peasant food that has become mainstream. Nothing wrong with that. I do it myself all the time Bob.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Didn't think about the rosemary which is silly as I've got a rosemary triffid in the garden.

Ours does really well and I've got much more than I could ever use for cooking.
It grows close to the northern side of the house so it hardly gets any direct sun light except during summer. Started off as a small plant of about 15cm 6 years ago and now it is 1.5m across and nearly 1m tall.

First couple times I tried to grow Rosemary were an uncontested failure. I would give it special soil and fuss over it daily. Nothing. Wilt and die. Then someone said be mean to it. Give it lousy soil, forget to water it. Whack it with the shovel every couple of days. Next thing I know it's the size of a hedgerow. Go figure.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago when I lived in the south of the UK I planted some rosemary seed taken from a bush in a street container and grew it on in a pot on a flat concrete roof.
It flowered and self seeded into the top of a wall between an inn and another commercial property. It grew on to flower and was there 10 years ago when I moved away from the area.
I looked on google earth after spotting that the satellite photos had been updated last year. The weather had been dry and all the grass was brown and there was still a lush green circle over the boundary in exactly the place I remember it being.
It is growing in brickwork with a little bit of moss on top and as far as I can see it is still there.

Chicken soup last night:

We had a whole chicken in the freezer, but I got a late start at cooking it. Thawed it enough to get the giblets out of the cavity, then it went into the stovetop pressure cooker on a steamer basket over an inch of water. 50 minutes at pressure to just cook the meat, then pulled the bird and removed the meat from the breast, legs and thighs and set it aside. The carcass went back into the pot with a carrot, an onion, some celery (including leaves), bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, a clove and water to cover (including the original steaming liquid). 40 minutes at pressure, then strained off and skimmed the stock. While that cooked I steamed a few red potatoes in the Instant Pot, then diced them when they were done.

I finished off the soup by simmering sliced carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms in the stock, then adding the cooked potatoes and diced chicken meat.

The cats will get the bits of meat leftover from the carcass after making the stock.

I have never been able to get rosemary to "take" in the ground, it will thrive all summer then die in the winter and never come back. This year I planted some in a small enough container to bring indoors when the frost comes (pretty soon now).

One (more) nice thing about spatchcocked turkey or chicken is you have the whole backbone. So while the turkey brines overnight I quickly roast the neck and backbone with some onion, carrot, and celery (and maybe some leftover chicken bits from the freezer) and make a nice stock. That makes the gravy plus enough left to make some soup with the leftover turkey meat.

Brining makes turkey cook faster. Spatchcocking makes turkey cook faster. Doing both means a turkey cooks in a startlingly short time.

you have the whole backbone.
You mean you have it available for the soup as you've cut it out when you split the bird. Just clarifying for others.

Brining makes turkey cook faster.
And don't forget it makes it very forgiving. So if you are enjoying a final cocktail before dinner, you don't have to rush.