The food thread

I start with a CO2 tank and Cornelius keg.
I have to watch my sugar so this is almost calorie free but you can easily make it with a sugar of your choice.

3 x 1L bottles lemon juice
6 cups Stevia
1tsp. coarse salt
Add all ingredients to keg and stir or shake well to dissolve Stevia
Fill remainder with water
Gas to 60 lbs. via agitation. Leave overnight at full pressure.
Reduce to 8 lbs. for bottling.

You also use some lemon zest or lemon oil. I choose not to because it begins to taste like Pledge to me. I like the cleanliness of just using the juice.

It comes out less fizzy, less sweet and more tangy than similar commercial products, so for me it is much nicer than store bought.

Makes about 18 litres.

I have made proper chocolate Mousse. Now how to persuade wife to eat raw eggs...

What recipe? You could try using meringue Italian instead and very bittersweet chocolate. Some recipes use a custard base but there the yolks are cooked.

Here's a real heart stopper, you can mix the yolks in when the chocolate is still warm and tell her they're cooked also. ;)

Chocolate Mousse - Recipe with images - Meilleur du Chef

A comment from Scott a couple of days ago reminded me that it's been over 20 years since I have made proper chocolate Mousse. Now how to persuade wife to eat raw eggs...

Don’t tell her?

That’s how I got mine to try snapping turtle meat loaf, she absolutely loved it, even had seconds. I told her what it was a couple days later.......on second thought just don’t tell her! :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
From Wikipedia:

Staverton? When I were a lad that was a sleepy village with a golf course. They've clearly concreted over all that.

Ref 'oversweetened' cheerios are 20% sugar. Ok that's not bad compared with the filling tingling apple cinnamon ones but higher than I like in a cereal. But I accept a possible over-reaction whilst I got my head around it.

The snack I had forgotten last night was khakhra. And I will admit to being a hypocrite and loving bhakarwadi.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think the Swedish chef's version of chocolate moose is truly the best. :)

Agreed and I nearly posted the link to the youtube video :). I also think his 'serving meatballs' is a classic.

What recipe? You could try using meringue Italian instead and very bittersweet chocolate. Some recipes use a custard base but there the yolks are cooked.

Here's a real heart stopper, you can mix the yolks in when the chocolate is still warm and tell her they're cooked also. ;)

Chocolate Mousse - Recipe with images - Meilleur du Chef
It's so long ago I forget! I'll take a look at that one.

I was excited by that, but having explained it she said the egg version sounded nicer (bear in mind she will not eat eggs on their own).

Don’t tell her?
I am happy with my testicles in their current position!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The apple cinnamon ones are even worse. I tried those once....never again. As I get older I do wonder how frosties with the top off a bottle of milk* was my favourite. I do not wonder why I have so many fillings!

*In the old days when the milkman delivered each morning, milk was not homogenised so the cream floated to the top. So you always hoped you got to open a new bottle for your cereal.

Over the top barista and interesting dishes. I couldn't tell if it was the drinks plus small plates of food idea. These have become our go to places lately, one of them keeps a community table for 12 open for walk-ins as you have found last minute weekend meals are always booked.

It's a bit in-between. The wine list is small but interesting and unusual. (I had a Sicilian Muscat of Alexandria), the cocktails are over the top and creative, and dishes range from small to mains, but probably designed to be shared. Standout was <some pasta pocket with an exotic name> filled with ricotta and fresh sweet corn, with a buttery sauce with roasted corn and shrimp. The shrimp might have been a throw-in to complete the dish but they were good, and the corn flavours fairly exploded in one's mouth. The charred carrots with crab seem to be a house specialty. The ocean perch was indistinguishable from tilapia (Scott you put that in my head) but it was served with lovely fresh peas and buttery sauce so who cares. I would go back in a heartbeat if only to nibble olives and try some more cocktails.

Staverton? When I were a lad that was a sleepy village with a golf course. They've clearly concreted over all that.

That reminds me of a time a few years ago when I was visiting my brother in Ontario. He had 3 kids all in school and all enrolled in soccer (Bill you know what mean, football to you). All 3 kids had games this one evening, all different ages and teams, but thankfully all 3 games were at the same venue. Rob asked the kids where the games were and one of them said "Weetabix". Now Weetabix is a Canadian breakfast cereal, known to copy writers as "The Breakfast of Champions", presumably made from weet. It consists of compressed cakes of weet about the size and shape of an oval washing-up sponge, but with less flavor.

Before departing for the games Rob (my brother) and I chugged a couple of brewskis and smoked a quick spliff (his wife was driving). We got to the venue somewhere around Oshawa or Pickering, right next to the giant Weetabix plant, a huge concrete manufacturing facility and distribution center with vast parking lots for 18-wheelerswhich were all empty. The venue was a huge expanse of flat, featureless green space divvied up into about 8 full size soccer pitches. Nothing grew higher than my ankles, not a tree or bush to be seen.

About halfway through the second game I had to pee pretty bad, and the more I looked around at all that nothing, full of people, the worse it got. I was on the verge of tears when I convinced Rob to drive me to the nearest bathroom (a Tim Hortons coffee shop a couple of Km away). I should probably drop the story there, but your reference to a concreted-over terrain for a cereal factory brought it all flooding (oops) back.