The food thread

Funny, I use window sills and paper drink cups!

+1

I also use these little peat pellet "windowsill greenhouse" things, they stay a little warmer.

Seeds from dried peppers can take 5 or more weeks to germinate, so I plant them in late Feb or early March for best results. Further south with more winter daylight and decent outdoor conditions in April and May you could probably start them later. Trying to get New Mexico peppers to bear fruit in Nova Scotia takes an early start!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last edited:
I have to be honest, I haven't grown peppers in the last couple years. At $1/lbs. in season, why would I? This 2.2 kg. bag was $4.82 and made enough fermented sauce that it will not be gone by the time this years crop is ready. We also used some fresh and some were frozen. I gave away 1/3 of the sauce.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 10.19.36 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 10.19.36 AM.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 73
Some peppers from the store don't smell or taste anything like what I grow.

I generally grow jalapeños, and rotate other peppers to be dried or made into sauce.A good crop of Habs will make enough sauce to last at least 4 years. Same for dried cayenne.

I don't have a big enough garden to be worth growing my own sets for most plants. Hopefully that will change in a couple of years.

Some peppers from the store don't smell or taste anything like what I grow.
Very true. The ones I buy are field peppers, in that case they are an unnamed cayenne sold in bulk.
I generally grow jalapeños, and rotate other peppers to be dried or made into sauce.
Jalapeno is nice pepper for saucing but not hot enough for everyone.
A good crop of Habs will make enough sauce to last at least 4 years.
I love Hab sauce but would not ask it to last 4 years unless it was stored anaerobically and cold.
Same for dried cayenne.
Can't ferment dried peppers properly, I make that vinegary Louisiana style sauce with tons of salt. Great for wet masalas and marinades.
I don't have a big enough garden to be worth growing my own sets for most plants. Hopefully that will change in a couple of years.
Same here but not looking to upsize ATM.

Roma is just one example of a "paste tomato" and if you want to try a few pure heirloom paste tomatoes that have not been continuously "improved", here are a tiny sampling of the huge number of possibilities

Thanks I know these things are out there (the Eleanor looks promising) but things like "A Bulgarian family heirloom introduced in 1995 by Carolyn Male" are confusing (to me at least). How could a true heirloom variety appear in 1995? The heirloom tomato thing has taken on a life of its own in the market.

but things like "A Bulgarian family heirloom introduced in 1995 by Carolyn Male" are confusing (to me at least).
Oh c'mon Scott. It's been a family secret for centuries and they've finally allowed the rest of the world in on it. That Carolyn Male is in big trouble when she gets past those pearly gates. Great great grandma gonna give her a big ol' can 'o' whoopa$$ :)

Again, we just get seedlings.
Not for the ones I grew, many varieties are not available in seedling. I had the miniature bell peppers going, kind of a cross between a bell and cherry, they ripen so much faster than a regular bell. Seeds from the produce in the store. I like red shepard's too, they have a long mature time.
1st sweet million today, the farmer says he likes them still a bit green, not me, nice and red and sweet.
Everything catching up now after a cool wet spring.
Our 1st yr for legal cannabis is doin well.
Farmer Rick out

Tonight was a bit special (goodbye gathering for a friend leaving Brussels, about 20 persons invited). It's still awfully hot around here so cold dishes were welcomed.

So what I did:

- gazpacho;
- grilled shrimps on rucola and sauteed zucchini (served cold);
- Alaska pollock with a dried tomato crust, served on a warm tomato sauce (based on the "solid" leftovers from the gazpacho) and with a salad of raw tomato/bell peper.
- a cake made of two layers of puff pastry each topped with cherries, strawberries, raspberries drown in Chantilly.

No pictures, my phone battery died on me just while beginning plating.

Btw, the tomato/pepper salad was very nice visually. As I cut the tomato and the pepper in identical long thin slices and marinated them together a whole afternoon in lime juice, they were impossible to distinguish by eye and made for a nice, harmonious look. I confess I used Roma.

I have to be honest, I haven't grown peppers in the last couple years. At $1/lbs. in season, why would I? This 2.2 kg. bag was $4.82 and made enough fermented sauce that it will not be gone by the time this years crop is ready. We also used some fresh and some were frozen. I gave away 1/3 of the sauce.

I wish I could get peppers like that for that kind of money around here. No such luck. Here are the fellas I grow, but I pick them when red and hang them in a "ristra" in the kitchen to dry. If I could grow enough of them I would roast them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170825_180406.jpg
    IMG_20170825_180406.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 79
Thanks I know these things are out there (the Eleanor looks promising) but things like "A Bulgarian family heirloom introduced in 1995 by Carolyn Male" are confusing (to me at least). How could a true heirloom variety appear in 1995? The heirloom tomato thing has taken on a life of its own in the market.

Check out the first couple of pages of the prologue of this book:

1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created - Charles C. Mann - Google Books

Makes you realize how unlikely the whole thing is.