The food thread

Beefsteak are fine too but do take longer to mature. I did like the bush beef steak variety. I remember Dad had a Bupee's seed catalog, it was a good read.
I am growing a few varieties of squash too. I have a friend who has a farm, we planted a few rows of different types. I played Mexican farmer for a afternoon last week, following the M/F tractor around as he prepared the soil, beats the heck out of a roto-tiller.

Hunt's has a (gasp) canned version they were practically giving away as the BB date was approaching so I bought 24 cans.They make really really good tomato juice.

Some canned tomatoes are pretty good.....especially if your cooking them down into sauce.
I’ve gone through the two day process of making sauce from scratch with fresh home grown Roma’s and I end up hard pressed finding a difference in the end results.

I thought I had shared my Midsummer murders, but apperent -- aeperant ... sh*T! .. obvious I hadn't so here some stuff from the Swedish chef.

I had decided NOT to have pickled herring, but as the fish shop had no sandwich cake (with shrimps and salmon), I had NO choice:

Three kinds of herring: curry, dream (mild and creamy) and Brantevik (traditionally flavoured), with four kinds of vodka: genever, barelled Bierschnaps a Russian vodka and a hops vodka.

Next day I went for grilled tuna and warm potato sallad and a nice Italian white wine.

Attachments

• sill.JPG
    sill.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 129
  • tonfisk.JPG
    tonfisk.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 140
Last year's excess Sungold cherry tomatoes got pureed and frozen in silicone ice cube trays. Now that it's hot outdoors, these become terrific non-dilutive ice cubes in Bloody Marys / Marias. Would be good in a Virgin Mary too but there's nobody under eighteen in our house, to request one.

If you've ever grown cherry tomatoes you are familiar with the expression "excess tomatoes". Particularly if you have more than one plant.

_

Nope, but I might have a tomato habit that's hard to break. :D

Good melon as frozen cubes is a simple delight.

You know Ed, I kinda like that I don't understand. She says things and then gets a huge grin on her face. I like when she smiles.

I can't imagine anyone calling you anything else.
Careful you're going to have stretch marks in your cheek.
Gotta go now to trim my nose.
Say hi to Gepetto (sp?)

I'm fond of Better Boys. I have 20 planted.

Spinach bolted so it is done.

Lots of crookneck so far.

A couple zucchini.

Onions not near ready.

Broccoli is about done.

Swiss Chard looks ready to start harvesting.

Got my first tomato today. I'm planning on going to visit my brother in SC next week so I figure everything int he garden will go to H3ll in a hand-basket while I'm gone.

If you still have the contacts get the homogenizer. I am holding out until I can get a blendtec, although the blender on the kenwood chef does 99% of what I need even though older than me. It just wont puree a brick!

That's what I just pulled the trigger on as it was a better "value"; hopefully does the trick! Only worry is I'll need their small jar because a lot of stuff I do is smaller volumes. We'll see!

And now back to eating well puree'd lentil soups for the next 6 months to offset my costs. :D

They had a deal on chuck today. $3/pound. I went to the store and the lady says no limit. Music to my ears. I asked the butcher to sell me a big piece. He said he couldn't. I told him I was grinding it and that I didn't need all the packaging. He said sorry.
In this day and age I admit I was dumbfounded. All that styro and plastic for what? It's a crying shame. Why could he not sell me a large piece?

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 118
They were bandsawing the large pieces while I was there. I would have taken the whole thing but was told no. I don't understand. Anyway, I now have 35 lbs. (minus the bones) of ground chuck and I have to say they make some pretty tasty burgers even without organ meat.

Daniel, the shoulder is what we buy more than any other. Was it a good price? Sometimes there's a glut and we get it for $1/pound. Not kidding.