The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My favorite use for tarragon is in this simple sauce. It's just stunning with salmon steaks.

Code:
     Pierre Franey's Green Sauce for Fish     

1/3 cup parsley, chopped     
     1/3 cup onion, chopped     
     2 Tbsp chives, chopped     
     1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped     
     1 clove garlic, minced     
     1/2 cup olive oil     
     3 Tbsp white vinegar     
     1 Tbsp Dijon mustard     
     1 hard boiled egg     

1. Boil water, cook egg     

2. Chop parsley, onion, chives, tarragon, garlic.     
     Put into blender, add olive oil, vinegar, mustard.     
     Blend but not too much.     

3. Chop and add hard boiled egg, blend a little more     

Author: Pierre Franey     
     Source: The 60 Minute Gourmet p.115

I harvested a bunch of Bamboo sprouts today. I have determined it is much easier to buy a jar of sprouts rather than try to peel, process, cook, etc so screw picking bamboo sprouts.
All needs be done is steam them a little.
(Maybe some peeling/trimming first)
If I come upon a bunch I harvest them.
Only certain weather certain places here though.
Never tried store-bought.

I harvested a bunch of Bamboo sprouts today. I have determined it is much easier to buy a jar of sprouts rather than try to peel, process, cook, etc so screw picking bamboo sprouts.

Article in the local paper about a fellow who was harvesting his own sprouted barley for beer -- he too thought it was too much work, but it's now turned into a decent sized family business with all the craft beers popping up like mushrooms after a summer rain. All the byproducts of the business are used to feed goats.

Similar thing around here recently. For decade all the malt used in every brewery and distillery in Canada, whether industrial or "craft", came from Canada Malting, a huge company in central Canada. A couple of years ago a new maltings opened here, I think they source the grain locally as well. I believe they also have a distillery but are also supplying malt to craft brewers and possibly distillers.

Found it Local Organic Floor Malt

– Horton Ridge Malt & Grain

Last edited:
I googled to see if it is the same as a stick blender. :)

To me it is, but I just remembered that my mother had a little motorized egg beater that dates from the 50's.

My wife asked me to make her some mayo that did not have any of the gums, stabilizers, or sweeteners. I saw it on a food channel once, you take 2 egg yolks, 2tbs lemon juice, 1tbs good mustard, 1/2tsp salt and put it into the tall thin container that comes with the stick blender. Then you put 1 and 1/4 or 1/2 a cup of oil (we wanted avocado oil) so it sits on top and start the blender on the bottom and slowly draw it out. Frankly I don't use mayo much and never do the old school butter and eggyolk based mother sauces anymore, but thought it might work for them too.

To me it is, but I just remembered that my mother had a little motorized egg beater that dates from the 50's.

My wife asked me to make her some mayo that did not have any of the gums, stabilizers, or sweeteners. I saw it on a food channel once, you take 2 egg yolks, 2tbs lemon juice, 1tbs good mustard, 1/2tsp salt and put it into the tall thin container that comes with the stick blender. Then you put 1 and 1/4 or 1/2 a cup of oil (we wanted avocado oil) so it sits on top and start the blender on the bottom and slowly draw it out. Frankly I don't use mayo much and never do the old school butter and eggyolk based mother sauces anymore, but thought it might work for them too.

Thank goodness SY isn't here!

a little motorized egg beater that dates from the 50's.
I would love to see it, if just for the nostalgia.
Frankly I don't use mayo much
x2
I was going to make a comment. ;)
First thing that came to my mind.
I peaked SY does have Heinz 57 in his pantry.
Nothing wrong with that. I have a habit of being somewhat unorthodox with gifts so when the lovely Mrs. Weldon, aka Hanh turned 57, guess what was in her birthday stocking?

Frankly I don't use mayo much and never do the old school butter and eggyolk based mother sauces anymore, but thought it might work for them too.

I like mayo on sandwiches, burgers, potato salad, tuna salad, etc but a 500ml jar lasts a long time. I tried making it just once, many years ago on a whim. The only oil we had at the time was unfiltered, cold pressed, organic corn oil, don't ask me why. So I used that and the mayo was yellow and tasted like corn. Terrible. The last time I had Bearnaise a friend made it, I couldn't believe she went that trouble for us. I don't know that I have ever made one of those classic butter sauces, but i don't think so.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
We use a "stick blender" to make Vietnamese Banh Mi mayonnaise as they spread on Banh Mi sandwiches. Our recipe comes from Mark Bittman, and it's the standard mayo preparation, plus cilantro, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and a teeny bit of sugar. It's wonderful but we never do enough Banh Mi follow-ons to use up all the mayo we prepped.

My wife says she is not familiar with that mayo recipe but says different parts of the country will make things differently. I have encouraged her to try what Mark has listed. If she doesn't, I will. It will be minus the cilantro though as that is an ingredient on the sandwich so redundant in this case.

Speaking of which, Banh Mi sandwiches is also redundant. :) Kinda like spaghetti pasta noodles

As I mentioned earlier, I cooked a chicken biryani in my 8qt Instant pot that will keep me fed through next week. The biryani is a festive dish with in some cases a complex blend of spices meant to show off the financial prowess of the presenter. There are approximately as many biryani recipes as there are Indians.
I've been checking out Indian cooking videos since early last year, trying to get down the basic moves, with the intention of riffing on the basic themes of a given dish.

I cooked a chicken biryani with vegetables so that it would be a nutritious dish to sustain me through the week. The recipe was improv, but kept the basic pattern of the dish. Those who are curious can ask what I did - the spice palette is somewhat complex, but the cooking sequence, aided by the Instant Pot, is not....

I would love to hear about it, I enjoy cooking South Asian food and am always looking for new ideas (though I don't have an Instant Pot).

I have a recipe for Mughal-style lamb biriani, which I have made a few times, but it is a Big Cook. One has to make a richly flavored stock with lamb shanks, cardamom, etc then cook rice in the stock with onions, saffron, the meat from the shanks, and rose water. Meanwhile make a thick curry with lamb leg and tomato, then layer the rice and curry in a covered dish and cook together in the oven for a while (rice, curry, rice, curry, rice). I think it took me 2 days the first time I made it, but it's always a big hit.

I think it took me 2 days the first time I made it, but it's always a big hit.

The other kind of slow cooking :D. For Indian if you start leaving out things like real saffron or rose water it just is not the same. We had a restaurant, long gone, where something as simple as gulab jamun was heavenly because they bothered to make the syrup with all the exotic flavors.