The food thread

Well I'm hanging out in the southern hemisphere for a little bit (although I should get some local cocoa powder to bring home), but hot chocolate/cocoa/whatever is a frequent night cap.

Sugar first, then cocoa powder dusted over the milk, then microwave'd and stirred warm is my go-to method. Don't stir the cocoa cold, as that begs for clumps.

I've also taken a liking to adding a bit of Kahlua once warm.

Well I'm hanging out in the southern hemisphere for a little bit (although I should get some local cocoa powder to bring home), but hot chocolate/cocoa/whatever is a frequent night cap.

Hersheys has created an industrial confected product including buteric acid in the flavor profile of their "chocolate". Almost any European premium chocolate is worlds above.

Van Houten.

1 : Van Houten
2 : Droste
3 : Hot chocomel with whipped cream in Belgium
4 : A cup of Rombouts coffee with filter, also preferred in a Belgium café

(the mother of my pals in highschool wrote me in a letter a year ago that my mug for hot chocolate is still present. In the teen years, each frequent visiting friend had an exclusive mug for hot cocoa on stand-by in the kitchen cupboard. Many years of stirring the spoon to get the cocoa to the exact right consistency. The old folks both must be in their late 80s now, stil reside in the same home, with some cleaning help and daily dinner delivery service)

Attachments

• unique-coffee-mugs.jpg
    unique-coffee-mugs.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I have 250g of Van Houten Cocoa coming in on Friday.

As usual confusing cocoa and chocolate....

My small batch recipe is hot chocolate since it starts with chocolate. If no "cocoa butter" I don't consider it any variant of chocolate. Really horrible is the "chocolate flavor" stuff that uses cocoa and some other fat.

Of course warming up from the cold almost anything warm is fine. My exception is folks who mix coffee with cocoa or chocolate.

I think the issue with good hot cocoa is the quality of the cocoa, the ratio of sugar and the fat content of the milk. A real biggie of course is fresh milk.

Couldn't resist the temptation as our FANTASTIC café and bakery (seen in the movie A Man Called Ove) had made special cakes to celebrate the World Championship in field hockey (bandy) (*). A sort of choclate (or cocoa??) bottom with pear mousse, covered with marzipane with a nice print.

(*) Field hockey/bandy is an odd game played on a rink the size of a soccer field and with a ball that is so tiny that, in spite it is orange, cannot be spotted so you end up watching a game that looks like random figure skating.

The cake was ..... :lickface::lickface::lickface::lickface::lickface:

Attachments

• IMG_6768.JPG
    IMG_6768.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I made hot cocoa with Van Houtens today. Clearly needs almost no sugar. The only problem is that one cup is just not enough!

It is a bit more difficult to dissolve than any other I have used. Much smoother with more flavor.

Cal you should try it, will make quite clear the difference between cocoa and chocolate.

The package was interesting, someone slapped a stick-on label to it, containing the US required nutrition information to make it legal for sale here.