The food thread

There is nothing wrong with you, grapefruit are delicious! The membranes that separate the sections can be bitter, so you may want a grapefruit spoon, which is like a teaspoon but pointy and serrated, which makes it easy to dig out the delicious flesh and leave the membrane behind.

Grapefruit also is great in marmalade, and the juice is required for a really good Planter's Punch.

I find it easiest to peel a grape fruit like an orange and split the fruit in half and then peel back the membranes and eat the flesh a segment at a time.

Certainly no expert on elk but it does work well for Sauerbraten. And on this cold evening here I'm thinking it might be good instead of beef in a carbonade. nezbleu has good advice. Please let us know how you do it -- I have one piece from a friend in the fridge. The first piece went into that sauerbraten.

-Phil

edit -- I was thinking a piece that one would normally roast - if it's a piece of tenderloin then forget all that.

Last edited:
Candy for grownups... quinces cooked in wine and spices. Good but I might actually prefer that recipe with pears.

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_210211679_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181014_210211679_HDR.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 120
Certainly no expert on elk but it does work well for Sauerbraten. And on this cold evening here I'm thinking it might be good instead of beef in a carbonade. nezbleu has good advice. Please let us know how you do it -- I have one piece from a friend in the fridge. The first piece went into that sauerbraten.

-Phil

edit -- I was thinking a piece that one would normally roast - if it's a piece of tenderloin then forget all that.

I didn't cook it like one perhaps might expect how game meat is "supposed" to be done, I just chopped it up more like Asian style smaller slices, added my own aforementioned spice brew + a chopped garlic clove, into the fry pan and let it simmer for while with some added water at low temperature until the water is gone, at that point cranked up the heat to max and gave it quick stir-fry.

Taste really good, am surprised elk meat doesn't have much gamy taste at all, it's lean and very tender, I felt like the guys in the dystopian movie Soylent Green who had their first meal of real meat.

I would expect that the European Quail, Rabbit and Venison were farm raised and that might account for the mildness.

I would too, I haven't found a restaurant serving real hunter shot game in years (in the city that is). I've been meaning to order some Texas boar shanks, the Scottish grouse and hare are available but expensive (the hare comes with a warning that it is extremely gamey).