The food thread

The Germans called Dutch green-house tomatoes "waterbombs", because what they lacked i taste, they were full in water.

Found some piece of pork prepared for the grill in my fridge and added tomatoes, peperoni, mushrooms and halloumi. Joined by a glass of Emmaboda Pale Ale (EPA) and a hop vodka.

Attachments

• IMG_5347.JPG
    IMG_5347.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
3 or 4 tomato plants is all i do., mostly small this year. A cold June turned to a nice july and everything is dooing well.
We cropped off some basil to go in 4lb of butter some garlic and such. Nice over a good steak or what ever else my hun creates. We usually make a trip to the valley late sept for tomatoes for a batch of bottled salsa.....tom sause etc. The crop of peppers are coming along well........ 4 or 4 varities.

Last edited:
We only have 4 tomato plants this year, all "heirloom" varieties but don't ask me what they are, SWMBO bought the seedlings. One is small and bushy and covered in blossoms right now, she says it is a cherry-type plant. The other 3 are huge and very rbst, if we had dreamed they would get this big we would have planted them further apart. They are also starting to flower.

My New Mexico chilis are growing and starting to flower, all grown from seeds from the ones I grew last year. I also have one poblano plant which was the only seed that germinated and took forever to get started. I don't know whether it will bear fruit this summer, but I am going to keep it in a smallish pot so I can bring it indoors in the fall.

Cal if you call them little 2' square knock down things for your deck a greenhouse then well yea i do .
They start inside in a south facing window usually some time in May they go out in the day and back in at night.
By the time they are ready to go in my planters they are usually over 18" tall and half of that gets buried in the dirt.

They start inside in a south facing window usually some time in May they go out in the day and back in at night.
OK, that answers my question.
By the time they are ready to go in my planters they are usually over 18" tall and half of that gets buried in the dirt.
Interesting. I have alway buried them a little, just up to where the little nodes on the stalk, end. I am afraid of stem rot putting them any further. Do you use a heavily mulched soil to help with that?

Last edited:
I grew some good ones one year, at least a ton from each plant anyways.

I attempted to do that again in a different location and wasn’t as successful.

I had learned that the competition tomato growers place more or the stalks touching the dirt and that they will establish additional roots that way, increasing consumption. This was done early on, laying down the plant basically.

Cal i was told by a gardner friend berry them as deep as you can even if you havw to turn it sideways it will quickly develope more roots and become stronger. Since mine are in raised wood boxes i have to empty them each year so the frost dosent blow the boxes apart.
So most of my soil is store bought and mixed each year.

But i think the worm castings are super good. Besided that i throw in rock dust finely crushed egg shells manure a soil mix high in peat and a seeweed/shell based fertalizer every 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20180720_162813.jpg
    20180720_162813.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I tilled the left row which was onions that have been harvested, and planted it with Kale today.

Better boys are to the far right. Basil to the left. Far end Jalapinos, Chives, Basil.

Broccoli on the right next to the new tilled row.

Squash down the middle.

Attachments

• DSCN3119.jpg
    DSCN3119.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • DSCN3117.jpg
    DSCN3117.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • DSCN3116.jpg
    DSCN3116.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68