The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Had to go to Wembley today for my sister in law to try on dresses. It's the nearest proper Indian shopping area, unfortunately quite a hike to the car park, esp with little ones. However baby in carrier meant her side of the double buggy could be filled with shopping so only 14kg of various Daals in the rucksack.

All the jars nicely topped up to keep us going for another 9 months or so. Sadly no space for a box of indian mango which are in season.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Apparantly the ban on neonicotinoids will put paid to a lot of rape production. Not sure how much of this is true and how much is farmers being farmers. But rapeseed oil is getting popular in cooking (even we have a bottle) so sure the demand will remain.

Note: I like bees even tho not fond of the honey bee nest in the chimney, so any attempt to reverse their decline should be encouraged. They are kind of vital.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Had two GF burgers made with Soy & Linseed bread by Helga's Helga's Continental Bakehouse in addition to Coon cheese and Woolworths Patties & Butter & Tomatoes.

Not as fattening as you would think, most of the fat was in the cheese so if you omit that or sub that its pretty healthy.

All of the ingredients were very nice and I think the meat had some sort of pepper mixed in with it. Overall a moderately full flavor that isn't strong (except for the cheese). And the bread was very moist having been defrosted in the microwave (4 frozen slices laid out on a plate + 1000w microwave = 1 minute maximum, check often.) then had butter put on once slice and a defrosting tomato on the other slice...

Very important when GF bread is concerned is keeping the water content high otherwise it turns into rock. Take notice of that if you ever use GF bread.

Attachments

• 005-diyaudio.jpg
    005-diyaudio.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 006-diyaudio.jpg
    006-diyaudio.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Wiki to the rescue!

"Canola was originally a trademark name of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, and the name was a condensation of "Can" from Canada and "ola" from other vegetable oils like Mazola,[15] but is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australia.

A definition of "canola" is codified in Canadian law[citation needed]. According to the Canola Council of Canada, an industry association, the "official" definition of "canola" is:

"Seeds of the genus Brassica (Brassica napus, Brassica rapa or Brassica juncea) from which the oil shall contain less than 2% erucic acid in its fatty acid profile and the solid component shall contain less than 30 micromoles of any one or any mixture of 3-butenyl glucosinolate, 4-pentenyl glucosinolate, 2-hydroxy-3 butenyl glucosinolate, and 2-hydroxy- 4-pentenyl glucosinolate per gram of air-dry, oil-free solid."
— Canola council of Canada"

Joined 2014
Paid Member
As part of the tidy up of the kitchen to fit yesterdays shop in we found the coconut flour. SWMBO bought this with the intention of starting to use it in cakes, but when the first one failed just gave up. So figured I need to work out if I can use it as hate chucking stuff. So experimenting with a 25% substitution in a loaf of bread. Machine is on. Will see what we get out in 3 hours...

Canola is huge here. It is 1/4 of all our cash crops. We export it all around the world. Wiki is a bit off on the name though.

This new oil was first developed in Canada, and the name Canola actually comes from the term, Canadian oil, low acid. In nature, there is actually no such thing as a “Canola plant” that produces “Canola oil.” Canola oil is simply a trade name for low-erucic acid rapeseed oil.

from a GM plant developed here. I believe the GM was simply a removal of a protein that then lowered the acid level.

from a GM plant developed here. I believe the GM was simply a removal of a protein that then lowered the acid level.

Apparently it requires a lot of processing, as well. Rapeseed oil is naturally gren so it needs to be chemically bleached to get that clear yellowish oil in the grocery store. Some folks around here are selling organic, non-gmo rapeseed oil but it is crazy expensive. And green.