The food thread

American scotch maybe but not the real thing - whisky. The only thing keeping sherry (jerez) alive was the market for sherry barrels which are used to age whisky. It is these barrels that give whisky it's taste..

Many Scottish distilleries use ex-bourbon barrels. For example Old Pulteney, all their base stock is aged in ex-bourbon casks, and their 12 year old is just that. The 17 year old has about 30% of the whisky finished in fino sherry casks. The 21 year old has about 60% finished in oloroso sherry casks.

They finally made the Thai red peppers affordable enough to start a batch. This is day 2 of the ferment. I used some of the sauerkraut juice as a booster to help speed it up a little.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 83
My late mother in law always kept a bottle of Tio Pepe on hand and it was her favourite aperitif before Sunday dinner. Sherry really is underappreciated, a good Amontillado or Oloroso is very nice. I confess I almost never drink it! I have been exploring some vermouths lately, and one of the best I have tried was a Spanish one made by sherry house Gonzalo Byass.

Scot you are way out of date. it is said that some th Spanish drink chilled white sherry or in a spritzer. Having said that, having lived in Andalucia for 7 years I never saw a single Spanish person, or anyone else drink any kind of sherry at all.

nezbleu - none of the single malts i have drunk use anything else but ex sherry barrels. The only malts I used to drink were the island malts - Lagavulin is not to everyone's taste as it's really 'in your face' - you can taste the Atlantic salt and the peat and that's for sure.

The Spanish and French drink lots of whisky, especially single malts. Cognac is dying a death. If you can try a Calvados at least 20 but 25 year old is better you maybe shocked how good it is. Don't touch anything under 15 years.

My brother had tested 30 y o rhum, whiskey and cognac and could just tell that they all tested the same. The original taste coming from suger cane, rye and grapes had been taken over by the ageing in barrels.
It's interesting to learn that some alcohol, on the other hand is supposed to be enjoyed pretty fresh like grappa and gin. Also there are certain special whisky and bourbon that is made to have a distinctive taste and adding years to those drinks doesn't improve anything.

Sound brigade - your brother's taste buds are dead and I have never heard of 30 year old rum. Distilled alcohol will have virtually the same taste and no colour. The taste and colour come from the barrels they are aged in.

Vodka will taste the same from wherever unless something is added. The Dutch created genever, English - gin. Genever is Dutch for juniper and the taste comes from the juniper berry. 'Oude genever' and English gin have virtually the same flavour which is strong but the 'jong genever' has a much reduced flavour, great as a chaser with a pils. Should always be kept in the fridge and vodka in the freezer.

My father brought back a 20L cask of Oloroso from Constantina Spain in 1964. It was made by Bodegas de Fuente Reina. He found Taylor Dry Sherry was an acceptable replacement if one only takes a glass or two a month from the cask.

In the early 60s, when we went hunting on a local farm with Spanish friends, we would return to the house and set at a round table with a large heavy table cloth and a pan of charcoal under the center to warm our legs. The men always drank sherry when we finished hunting Perdith (Partridge).

I inherited the cask before my father passed away, and have passed it on to my daughter and her family.

I always have a glass or two when I visit her.

I use Taylor Dry Sherry for cooking.

Many Scottish distilleries use ex-bourbon barrels.

These are one of the craziest single malt distilleries that along with others have doubled or tripled the shelf space needed for a specialty spirit shop. On top of that the US prices have gotten insane. I no longer drink scotch but remember someone in the business saying that >25yr. old (in wood) whiskies are rare due to losing balance. Had an 1841 Madeira with SY that was supernal.

LDA >> The Balvenie

nezbleu - none of the single malts i have drunk use anything else but ex sherry barrels. The only malts I used to drink were the island malts - Lagavulin is not to everyone's taste as it's really 'in your face' - you can taste the Atlantic salt and the peat and that's for sure.

I am afraid you are mistaken, Lagavulin is aged in ex-bourbon casks as well as ex-sherry casks, see Lagavulin
Distillery
- Whisky.com

In fact the majority of single-malt Scotch whisky is aged in ex-bourbon barrels.