The food thread

There was a restaurant (now closed) in Paris which served a version of eggs benedict -- quail egg over sliced truffe with a very light mayonnaise.

We can speak of ouefs mayo in Stuart's absence?

I brought SY a white truffle for his birthday and he made eggs with it, no mayo in sight. The lady of the house required everything cooked "hard" no snotty eggs allowed.

Cleaning up the recipes binders:

Attachments

• ManPleasingRecipes.jpg
    ManPleasingRecipes.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 97
No different than kimchi or sauerkraut. Had some 4 month-old 'kraut last night and it still can go awhile.

Fermentation Support Forum • View topic - Debunking the Botulism Fear

The key is botulism is anaerobic lots of home fermentations don't qualify, the loosely covered ceramic pot of cabbage in the basement could never develop botulism. Same is true of cheese ammoniation comes from anaerobic spoilage, they are now using wrappers that breath to avoid this and promote the desired "stinkyness". The "competitive exclusion" is hampered when no oxygen is present.

Last edited:
How to cook chicken tenders --adapted from NYTimes recipe 3+ decades ago:

Slice breasts 1/4" and marinate a few hours in soy sauce, dry sherry and a teaspoon or so of sesame oil.

Prepare chicken breasts by setting up 3 plates, first with corn starch, second with egg wash, third with panko. The corn starch and marinade help to glue on the panko!

Fry pan with 3/8 inch vegetable oil (more or less as the situation warrants). Depending upon the temperature it will take 4 to 6 minutes to to fry the tenders.

Sauce -- gently simmer 2 cloves of garlic in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. To this, add a marinade of 1 cup chicken stock, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp fermented black bean sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp corn starch and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Simmer until thickened.

This disappears in its entirety every time it's made.

Cal - if it's not on a pizza, is a slice of grilled Maui Gold Pineapple OK? Was actually a bit sloppy by the end, but then if not, is it really a burger?

Kihei Cafe, Kalama Beach - but then, you knew that

according to page 31 of the Kihei dining and shopping guide "there is no love more sincere than the love of food" - I'm not so sure about that, but at least I've never had a burger talk back to me - in the literal sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 77
It was time do a Red Thai Curry with chicken, we were very happy with result.

Yesterday dinner i did some zucchini filled with ground meat, baked in the oven and added a tomato sauce. Cheap, simple and very tasty. Will do that again.

BTW: There is some beef in the brine until weekend, i will see if Cal's recipe for Roastbeef is really heaven or hell :D

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 54
Cal - if it's not on a pizza, is a slice of grilled Maui Gold Pineapple OK?
I like pineapple a lot Chris but there somethings you don't do. One of them is to ruin two awesome foods by combining them. To me it's like putting a doggy coat on a German Kleinspitz. It just shouldn't happen.
I like pineapple so much I bought a pineapple tool.
Grilled is excellent, so is the soup my wife makes with it.
Here's something for you. Go to Foodland and check the price of a pineapple. They cost more in Maui than they do here in the lower mainland. Go figure.
"there is no love more sincere than the love of food"
It's an oldie but one I can admire. Glad you're having a good time. Give Sue a big Cal hug .

Maui Gold are the most common. They cost $4 regular and $3 during a glut. Sometimes as little as $2 for the small ones. We get some Dole's from Lanai but not as many.

We have virtually nothing but from Central America, Dole included, maybe it has to do with trade deficit. :D Interesting the Canadian .gov lists Costa Rica as the dominant pineapple import.

I saw massive piles of Dole shipping containers in Central America.

EDIT - Got it, not distributed east of the Mississippi.

Last edited:
The more upcountry you go, the more real things get

No beef for this cowboy today

The Maui Blanc pineapple wine is surprisingly not at all too sweet - for an uneducated palate, that is - you know, the kind who prefers a nice Belgian White wheat ale to Corona - the latter which I think tastes like the water with which you rinse out your glass.

I couldn't help but think of the barley brothers when snapping photo #2

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    789.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    724.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0123.JPG