The food thread

And, yet, a look on Google scholar for studies on PTFE safety/toxicity shows only stuff on pyrolysis. Amusedly, to result keeps coming back a paper on using PTFE fillers in food to help with satiety during weight loss.

We definitely know that burning the polymer surface is bad, so don't do that. Then again burnt oils and fats will mimic plenty of hormones (sterols are a common starting point). Hopefully someone more versed in the art here can come by and correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yep it could be very interressant to have an authorised input on this...

It's not I'm paranoiac, because when seeing the french food it can be very fat,... but eggs is a delicate meal for me (if the good eggs with no white shell and chicken feeded at farm with no powders...) ! Btw way I prefer fried eggs (not boiled despite it's good too ! : with fleur de sel, fresh Pepper...and truffle at Christmass)

Americans are mixing white and yellow for the morning meal? Is it called too fried eggs ?

Last edited:
Yep but Tefal, t'es folle I want avoid, I know it too much ! At least if I was 80 I would not care !

(and the Tefals are very thin and deform and rapidly have not an uniform cooking surface.... beurK !)

T-fal (my spelling error, sorry!) uses a hybrid ceramic coating. The pans are quite thick and heavy, especially considering the price.

BTW, the concerns about Teflon are highly overblown unless you REALLY overheat it (like 300°C or more).

I use either a black steel or cast iron pan.
Well seasoned of course. Seasoning needs to be repeated if the pan is touched by washing u liquid.

An example of what I (and every restaurant) use:
Paderno Black Steel Pans | knifemerchant.com
I have a couple of el cheapo plain cast iron frypans, a Paderno black steel , and a Cousances enammelled 28cm frypan.
Each are optimal for different situations.
The plain cast iron pans are ideal on the bbq grill for frying extras, the Padermo for frying bacon/eggs/steaks etc, and the enameled Cousances for light frying and saucy foods.

Stainless Steel is great for saucepans/boiling, but hopeless for frying.....Stainless makes the worst possible BBQ hot plate.

Dan.

Funny no one mentioned the traditional tinned copper omelette pan. Does anyone use/maintain these anymore? I got one as a wedding gift and it looks good hanging on the wall. The copper bowl and balloon whisk OTOH beat any electric method for meringue hands down, in this case John Henry wins.

Last edited:
"... tinned copper omelette pan."

Oh yes! Bought in France some 40 years ago.

I like to slightly whip up the whites before blending with the yolks and then butter on a high heat. With this pan it slides off easily onto a plate.

It has not been washed for years, just a wipe with a paper towel.

It is mine. touch it and you are dead.

"... tinned copper omelette pan."

Oh yes! Bought in France some 40 years ago.

I like to slightly whip up the whites before blending with the yolks and then butter on a high heat. With this pan it slides off easily onto a plate.

It has not been washed for years, just a wipe with a paper towel.

It is mine. touch it and you are dead.

Try to take the plane with one now ! You will be killed ... despite bombs should be possible yet as they don't rings at the checking doors !

I give you a french Air France hostess against your pan ?!