The food thread

Up to some years ago, wet aging used to be a UK and US thing only.

On the Euro continent, after the slaughter, halves of a cow are/were hung in a refrigerated storage room for the resting/aging.
It's what an oldfashioned butcher still does. Likely also used to be the standard in the US, think Rocco Balbaloney's punching meat scene.

Extended open-air aging requires both temperature and humidity control.
The wholesaler I visit every month, has a dry-aging cabinet in the middle of the cold room for the fresh meat.
Customers can take a look at the meat through the glass door of the aging cabinet, and make a buy reservation.
After which the piece of meat is labelled as sold and also to whom, picked up when it/they are ready for it.
Fun to watch the whiskers grow during a frequent visit spell.

I once bought half of a 'cow for the slaughter', killed on the spot. Spent an entire weekend cleaning and cutting to size, never again.
Letting the carcass hang for a couple of days to a week is much better, easier for the processing and better taste.
Meat from a Halal butcher has been hung much shorter, tastes excellent, zero livery, but somewhat on the chewy side.

Of course, the same applies to (some) humans, imho.

I haven't eaten standard chicken and pork for many years. Total garbage, nothing to do with food anymore.
Looks awful, smells ghastly, tastes horrible.
Soylent Green isn't too far off.

Last edited:
Note: despite being a Brit and despite spending a lot of my childhood on a farm I did not share the love of things hung till the neck rots through to get that 'gamey' taste.

No that's me, a personal eccentricity perhaps. I used to have a woodcut of a brace of pheasant hanging from the ceiling waiting to "drop" with a few bottles standing up waiting to be opened. If it wasn't snowing like crazy today I go out and get myself a nice warm bowl of boat noodles.

My girlfriend took me out for my birthday and I had a duck confit sausage over a thick carrot and white bean "soup". That was a lovely treat; think I'll probably try to make a poor-man's version using chicken or turkey sausage.

Soon enough I'll be gainfully employed so that nicer cuts of meat become a possibility. :D

Cal--your prep makes me a bit nervous, to be honest (as Jacco spells out). Given the meteoric price drop in sous vide equipment (see: gainful employment), I will be playing with cooking these tougher cuts slowly, but above the danger zone, rather than long marinades.

And now back to writing papers/thesis so my committee can kick me out of here with a degree. ;)

BTW sausage making party coming up. I didn't know my son put this up but I didn't make this one (2013). 20 sec. condensed version. Typically he'll buy 1/2 or all of a whole pig from a local farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY3nb44MyXw

Such are my little grey cells that I cannot recall the title or author, BUT

there is a famous and splendid german(ic?) pastoral film which includes how the whole village completely dispose of the slaughtered hog, down to the last drop of blood / fat.

Doubtless someone knows it ....

No that's me, a personal eccentricity perhaps. I used to have a woodcut of a brace of pheasant hanging from the ceiling waiting to "drop" with a few bottles standing up waiting to be opened. If it wasn't snowing like crazy today I go out and get myself a nice warm bowl of boat noodles.

There should be a DIYAUDIO trip to Bordeaux...and i know just where to go for something which goes well with pheasant.

There should be a DIYAUDIO trip to Bordeaux...and i know just where to go for something which goes well with pheasant.

I was thinking old school Borolo 5yr. in 900 gal. chestnut casks. This is so far removed from the current thinking about wine that no one even admits to its existence. SY sampled some here, there is more, you can't destroy the evidence, well of course until you drink it.

Afraid the hard wind today is spoiling carnaval a bit.

:)

Today special Marvel Carnaval Edition inFrance : just take the Iron Man or SUperman suits and you can fly fo free (140 Km/h Wind in some places) ! Today I'm wearing a Pass carnival costume with only a 1 W reactor... no need more with all this Wind ! just the first W to take off then Paris-Bordeauw free because the Wind !

Carnaval guys are more Dangerous than meteors today :D

Time to eat crêpes this evening with a little Clairette de Die :cool:, after no meat for 40 days ! No meat to hide the myth was a good idea ! (seems it is mainly good for health and rumathism... One day I stopped to eat for 30 days.... just water ! :eek:....it's very hard, not to stop eating but stop drinking wine when french and learned Young to taste them by connaissoirs :rolleyes:)

Last edited: