The food thread

I remember Gordon R. going berserk when he found Canadian lobster being served as Maine lobster
I wonder if the lobster knew which it was? If it came from Maine, New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, what's the difference?

How things change though. My friend grew up in New Brunswick and his family was not well off so he had to eat lobster 3 or 4 times a week. Lobster was for those who couldn't afford meat.
Good sized ones were at $3.70 a lb on the dock last week <snip> They say the European ones are 3X our price.
Here on the west coast we pay anywhere from 10 to 15 a pound. The little canners are 8 bucks a pop. Not sure what kind but they look like this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 2.16.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 2.16.18 PM.png
    579.4 KB · Views: 114
"The Wheel of Fortune" in German.

Glücksrad (but when I think of Sonya Kraus, more likely 'Grosse Glockenrad')

(in politically incorrect terminology, my foreign TV abfav was Moira Stuart reading the BBC news, while I licked the screen with my knickers drawn.)

That big claw-boy does look healthy, doesn't he.

Last edited:
hehe, that's a canner. I would guess around 400 grams.

The legal min. here is just about 500g, this is enforced with quite a bit of vigor. The measure is actually the size of the carapace. As a general comment our samplings of other folks speciaities is usually limited, I prefer the approach that we all have access to good food and let's enjoy what we can while we can.

I prefer the approach that we all have access to good food and let's enjoy what we can while we can.

Cheers to that.

I have no idea the regulation on lobster as I only ever see it in the store. The canners are great for when you want to have a combo like steak and lobster and are cheap in comparison with the big boys.

Dungeness crabs are supposed to be 6.5 (165 mm) tip to tip [but you sure see a lot of smaller than that in some markets. Usually runs $5/lbs. for the smaller and up to $10/lbs. for the really big ones.

Wife wants to know if you're cookin' those caps in the toaster oven?
jeff
Wife should know - yes in toaster oven, 450º, convection, 20 mins. Spinach and shrimp are the main ingredients.
Quails were fried or made in the oven?
These were fried because it was a rainy night but often they are grilled. Flavour is our own seasoned salt which is about 40% salt.

In 17c Century America, the Massachusetts Bay Colony had regulation limiting how much lobster you could feed your indentured servants (aka "slaves").

Foundations for a new construction were being dug in a seaport (Poole) a few miles south of here. Meters thick layers of oyster shells were found just outside the rear of an old Inn. These were simply thrown out of the windows by the diners of the time.

Oysters were the "fish-fingers" of the 17c working classes ..... Good oysters now cost about $30 / dozen at the table!

Meters thick layers of oyster shells were found just outside the rear of an old Inn.
I wonder if they cooked them back in the day or enjoyed them fresh? Speaking of oysters check out the largest collection of Pacific oysters in the world. These are a 2 minute walk from my Father's place. Alas, 100's of thousands of them (literally as far as the eye can see) but nary a one to eat due to farm effluence.
Good oysters now cost about $30 / dozen at the table!
We seem to be served these Manilla clam sized things that are so young they have yet to develop their flavour. I love them big ol' sloppy ones you have to cut into 3 or 4 pieces. The kind that ruin your oyster knife. The kind that require a large flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. They cost only 99 cents while those tiny ones are 69. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_3693.jpg
    IMG_3693.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3694.jpg
    IMG_3694.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3695.jpg
    IMG_3695.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg