The food thread

A small remarke, sauce choron is not with mayonnaise but it is béarnaise mixed with a reduction of tomato

Yes I know, I borrowed the name for a cold version. If you read the comments after quenelles video you will see why one should not do things like that. :)

BTW it was really good, you take the same reduction and cool and make the mayo with it. Tarragon and tomatos are great together and it beats the jarred cocktail sauce on shrimp (and it's not pus).

Last edited:
...and the next time you get to Pennsylvania -- you've got to try "The Creamery" at Penn State University -- probably the best in the U.S.

I like Berthillion -- just down the Seine from Notre Dame:
Maison Berthillon : la qualité est notre passion

Yes this place is famous as was Lenotre .

The recipe is no secret. The 3 stars have done it and do it in the same way : Bocuse, Guerard, Blanc Lenotre, Ducasse Robuchon. they all agree on the following but they may not or cannot do it : it is using fresh raw cream to cool down the eggs and eat it immediately when made; try it big difference ( all other things beeing equal)

Yes I know, I borrowed the name for a cold version. If you read the comments after quenelles video you will see why one should not do things like that. :)

BTW it was really good, you take the same reduction and cool and make the mayo with it. Tarragon and tomatos are great together and it beats the jarred cocktail sauce on shrimp (and it's not pus).

Good idea, I will try it to use the cold reduction in a mayonnaise and add the tomato reduction, faster and nice variation.
There are some devine associations like tomato and tarragon.

Do you know the sauce de Sorge; it is a mayonnaise made with the warm yoke of a boiled egg ( still flowing yoke but hard white) and mixed with the crunshed whites, a lot of herbs. Different and really good

Berthillon is widely distributed around Paris. It's easy to avoid the queues at the shop near Notre Dame by having it at other places. But often with less choice.

To be honnest, I don't think Berthillon is extraordinary. But considering the average quality for ice creams in France, it stands out. I had better ice creams in Belgium (and in Italy but it goes without saying).

The recipes by Bocuse and others are indeed outstanding but are "restaurant" recipes; problem being you've got to eat it immediately. The quality of vanilla ice cream in a place like Berthillon will depend on the proper use of carob gum to stabilize the cream.

The quality of vanilla ice cream in a place like Berthillon will depend on the proper use of carob gum to stabilize the cream.

:( Same here along with the law that the final mix must be pasturized. Some of the most famous "homemade" ice creams here start with freeze dried pre-mix. I have seen un-hidden gallon jugs of industrial vanillin like it does not matter.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
industrial vanillin

Ouch..sore point. On my trips to the Mexican border, I would pick up bottles of pure Mexican vanilla, not knowing someday this would become a bit harder to find on store shelves. I hid them away in the pantry (dark and cool) for special baking needs.

One day I discovered all the bottles were gone! :eek: My teens had found them and started using them to flavor their plain yogurt! :mad:

Ouch..sore point. On my trips to the Mexican border, I would pick up bottles of pure Mexican vanilla, not knowing someday this would become a bit harder to find on store shelves. I hid them away in the pantry (dark and cool) for special baking needs.

One day I discovered all the bottles were gone! :eek: My teens had found them and started using them to flavor their plain yogurt! :mad:

These guys used to sell on line, extraordinary product. Their red turmeric is also something I have not seen elsewhere. I stocked up at the farm.

Rainforest Spices

Attachments

• Dick Vanilla.JPG
    Dick Vanilla.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 90
At least a good anti-inflammatory, right? I would likely have a tough search here in my area.

I guess the active ingredient is not its perfume so it survives drying better than ginger or galangal so there is not as big an interest in the fresh product. BTW the red version is 3X more potent in cucumarin and as opposed to some blogs the benefit is not imagined.