The food thread

Cold and raining here. Good night for Hungarian Mushroom soup.

20240404_202357.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tapas are great.

We keep a jamon serrano mounted on a carving stand on the kitchen island... plus different kinds of chorizo, fuet, longaniza, salchichon, butifarra, cheeses, tunas, clams, mejillones, navajas, etc... and most often a nice tortilla de patata.. plus bread and tomatoes... so putting up a sumptuous 'charcuterie" is about 45 minutes at most. It's all from stocks.

And turrones.... de Roca, Jijona, crema, etc...

We also put up large platters of sashimi, but for that we have to go shopping.

My daughter wants to open an Ibero-Japanese fusion restaurant... Hapa Tapa. I'll make the coffee and cafe con leche. My wife can handle the matcha bar. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Home from the store, and my empty Chipotle Pepper sauce bottle was laughing at me when I opened my cupboard.
A pretty easy fix with a blender- small can of chipoltles, large can of tomatoes, small onion, splash of Worcestershire sauce, and balsamic vinegar.
Looks like sausages and spicy gnocchi are back on the menu.
20240405_092341.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Two nights ago.... it was cold and wife decided on making some noodles. She got freshly made noodles ( Asian, naturally )... and two freebees... one is my Snowy Kobe Latte for my wife plus a double shot for Yours Truly... the other on is my first try at making Moroccan preserved lemons ( with yellow limes from our tree).

Now we got to wait three more weeks...

Attachments

• 20240401_193037.jpg
    20240401_193037.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240331_131023.jpg
    20240331_131023.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240327_103237.jpg
    20240327_103237.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: 1 users
I'm more carnivorous than herbivores, but I'm finding it easier to balance veggies when purèeing them almost like a sauce- here some pounded pork schnitzel and roasted carrots with a simple tomatoes and pepper pear purèe and another cauliflower with almonds and a little nutmeg.
Naturally, I'd be lost without a blender.
20240406_124717.jpg

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well, we came up with a killer recipe, what a surprise, and so easy to make. One has a soft boiled egg, simmered in soy sauce. The other one is plain.

Mostly veggies.

Carrots, cut into large trapozoids.
Onion, quartered and then peeled into layers
Garlic. Cleaned, not chopped/crushed.
Several medium sized ripe tomatoes cut into quarters.
Cauliflower. Cut into big 2 inch chunks.
A couple of ounces of white Extra Dry Cinzano Vermouth. Martini will do as well.
3 bay leaves.
Salt and olive oil.
Pre cooked chicken ( we used Costco Rotissery chicken meat )
Spinach.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Get a healthy amount of good olive oil hot on medium hot (our range has 18,000BTU gar burners).
Once the onions are yellowish, not quite golden add the carrots, tomatoes and cauliflower. Cook a bit.
Add the vermouth -don't forget to serve yourself some... a dry vodka martini will make it even more pleasant.
Cook it all a bit, Add some salt, mix, add the bay leaves.
Cover the pot.
Put into oven for one hour at 400F.
Open the pot and add very coarsely chopped chicken.
Turn off the oven, cover the pot and put it back for a bit so the chicken warms up.

On a pan, fry the spinach with garlic, olive oil and a bit of garlic.

Serve with warm french bread and a nice red wine.

It was oustanding... the sweetness of the veggies comes through.

The medium boiled egg came from a batch my daughter cooked. Wife wanted it, I didn't.

Attachments

• 20240406_193217.jpg
    20240406_193217.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240406_193220.jpg
    20240406_193220.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 15
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Having a week away with the kids this week so bought some of our meals frozen to give us more time for staring out the windows at the rain. Can't you guys in America control the jet stream :p

Tonight was Instant pot Chole where we did the hot soak in the instant pot, drained the water then cooked the chick peas in the gravy. Turned out very well and will be the way we do it moving forwards. Usually we put cashews and peas in the rice but only so much you can bring with you.

Attachments

• chole.jpg
    chole.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 20
Joined 2014
Paid Member
question for the bread experts. I've perfected the taste of the loaf I'm making with a mix of granary, wholemeal, rye, spelt and white flours (by perfect mean the kids will eat it, and when I said I wanted to try spelt the wife said very clearly 'don't make it taste too healthy'). The problem now is that, after 24 hours the bread starts to get crumbly and after 48 hours I lose half of each slice as it falls apart. I suspect I'm slightly over prooving it but wandered what else holds it together. If it helps swapping the granary for an organic brand had made it worse.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Garbanzos...

When I was a kid, I had a running encounter where my mouth ran into the forehead of my friend.... it was like kindergaten so those were my baby teeth and I lost like four of them.... so for the next month I ate ONLY garbanzos, lentils and white beans... mashed,

I still love them. ;-)

Yes, chicken drums.
Whatever you have seen Tony my friend is probably delicious.
I just invented the term after looking at them before I put the sauce on.
It's a yogurt, dill and garlic with ketchup just for colour, salt and Stevia, and a couple of other things just hanging out in the cupboard.
I am hoping it comes out well.
As you know Tony, I make things my way, not according to a book for the most part.
Tomorrow will speak the truth.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
sometimes it feels like summer on Sunday.... tapas dinner later on... that was a escalivada with tortilla de patatas, pan con tomate, egg salad, green salad, etc, etc... the ever present Sriracha was very expressive!

Attachments

• 20240408_181820.jpg
    20240408_181820.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240408_182105.jpg
    20240408_182105.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 16