The F5Pi -- F5P Voltage Gain Stage + M2 Output Stage = Perfectly Integrated

A pair of 18650 cells are used for the raw supply and regulated down for the 5V supply in the AR, and 4 x 9V Li-ion for the raw supply which is then regulated down to +/-15V for the AR and opamp buffer before the Cosmos. The Cosmos is powered from the USB-C (laptop).

The Viktor is powered from 9v Li-ion as well, there is a 1kHz and 10kHz oscillator in that chassis and you simply flip the power switch one way or the other to activate either.

SE connections are all BNC, and balanced are using Lemo clones.

it is well worth while putting some effort into putting a good cabling setup in place as well, I would factor that in from the start. It won't cost a fortune, but takes some time to make them correctly. One set for SE and one for balanced.

For the Topping D10, it is balanced only and you cannot just tie one side to ground. So dedicated cable with just one phase connected is needed. You might also need standard XLR if your amp has those inputs.

Last thing then is the load.....

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• 230116 PMA DC Pro SMD.jpg
    230116 PMA DC Pro SMD.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: 3 users
Why did we choose to use Pavel's design, instead of a variety of other alternatives around ?

Advantages
Use amplifier power rails, no extra dual supply needed
MOSFET relay integrated on PCB
Very simpler circuit and easily available components
No opamps or highly integrated circuits
No microprocessor, no firmware

Disadvantages
Supply must share common Gnd as amplifier
MOSFET Relay normally on, activate to turn off = not passively fail safe
If negative rail is lost, relay will turn not turn off automatically
Trigger level predetermined by circuit / components and not adjustable (~+/-2.4V)
Only for SE input, not differential.
No start-up mute

Our modification is aimed at getting round most of the above mentioned disadvantages.
This was done by adding less than 10 primary components.
No ICs (unless you count optocoupler as one).

Patrick

Reactions: 1 user
In the PDF article, it was mentioned that the HiFi2000 Mini Dissipante is of compatible size.
It should be noted, however, that this has a heatsink with 30mm fins, while the BZ3213 has 40mm fins.
One can expect roughly 33% higher temperature rise for the same power.

Here a NatSink simulation for the heatsink of the Mini Dissipante.

Mini Dissipante Heatsink Simulation.png

Patrick

Reactions: 1 user
The F5Pi had another audition Wednesday evening .
Speakers were Ruark accolades.

I'll leave Fran to give you the details.

Patrick

I think a lot of people here are like me - when you are thinking of what to build, generally everyone wants something that sounds good. The comments you have seen above, well they come from me only, in my room, my speakers etc.

So I thought it would be a good idea to get some impressions from other experienced listeners within reach. I brought the amp to a friend for a demo. He has a nice system, and many years of listening under his belt. He is using an AD1862 DAC with SRPP output stage, and Ruark accolade speakers you can see in the image. The amp sounded great when I set it up and spent a while with him, but I wanted to get his own opinion after using it for a little while. So I left it with him for a few days and I will post his opinion here shortly. Mind you, from what he has told me so far, he really likes it, so I don't think his comments will be that different to mine. But I won't put words in his mouth, and will post shortly. I will repeat this again with another friend maybe just after Christmas.

Fran

This looks like a mighty fine amp, well thought out and tested, bravo. In my experience a very good integrated can sometimes sound better than separate pre and power amps. I have a Pass INT-25 which just sounds very right and natural, very hard to beat across the board. I will give my pre-power amps a chance by investing in more cables, hope they get the edge then or I will have to sell them :D
Might be interested in making one of these once kits become available.

Reactions: 1 users
The F5 Preamp as shown in post #29 was measured by Fran today.
It has a gain of 3, using 2SK246BL + 2SJ103BL, and FQP3N30 + FQP3P20.
H2 -92dB, H3 -97dB at 2Vrms, 1kHz.
Pretty much the same as the F5Pi at 2.8Vrms 1kHz.

Quite OK. :geek:

Patrick

Attachments

• F5 Fre 2Vrms J103_K246_FQP FFT.jpg
    F5 Fre 2Vrms J103_K246_FQP FFT.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 75