The Eminence Beta CX-10 . What have you done with it lately ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, you need almost 100 litres for ported box with 12CX. But! It works nicely in 50-60ltr sealed... I have three such versions (45 litres actually, very full of wool) behind my acoustically transparent screen at the moment. No, they don't go extremely low but neither does 10CX in same size ported either.

An outdoor ground plane measurement attached (the variation in lowest octave are because of the wind). Green curve is 12CX in 100ltr reflex tuned to about 40Hz, Blue 12CX in same box and reflex ports plugged (so not really closed but close...) and ugly yellow 10CX in 50ltr reflex tuned to 50Hz.

If you pack the 12CX to sealed 50-60ltr you get quite same bass as the 10CX in reflex but with 12CX's better midrange, directivity to lower frequency and sealed enclosures better impulse response.

The reasion I wanted to go ported is for the reduced cone movement at low frequencys. I also like the upper mid-bass punch that 10" drivers give. Have used EAW quad 10's quite often doing special effects for Theatre productions. 12" drivers don't give the same tactile feel for some reason.

You make some very good points.

I'm going to have to buy both now and test this...

Now back to learning XO design. After using only active XO's for the last 24 years this is like a petrol engine mechanic learning how to build a steam engine.

The reasion I wanted to go ported is for the reduced cone movement at low frequencys.
Here's a sim in 55 liters @ 25W:
white = 10CX tuned 35Hz
grey = 10CX tuned 55Hz
yellow = 12CX sealed w/ heavy fill

Attachments

• temp.gif
    temp.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 666
  • temp2.gif
    temp2.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 667
Here's a sim in 55 liters @ 25W:
white = 10CX tuned 35Hz
grey = 10CX tuned 55Hz
yellow = 12CX sealed w/ heavy fill

Thanks, I've got the same sims using the same program actually :D I'm waiting for my replacement test leads to come in from Parts Express so I can measure the actual drivers in test enclosures... should be here on Nov 7.

I swear that waiting for DIY parts occurs in dog years. Gaaahhhhh!!!!

you get quite same bass as the 10CX in reflex but with 12CX's better midrange, directivity to lower frequency and sealed enclosures better impulse response.

You wouldn't happen to have in box FRD and ZMA files for the drivers you used? :eek:

I am practising using XSim so when my test leads get here I'll be more experienced with the program.

Last edited:
An outdoor ground plane measurement attached (the variation in lowest octave are because of the wind). Green curve is 12CX in 100ltr reflex tuned to about 40Hz, Blue 12CX in same box and reflex ports plugged (so not really closed but close...) and ugly yellow 10CX in 50ltr reflex tuned to 50Hz.

Why are you getting a deep notch at 550Hz with both 10CX and 12CX?

The notch is not there with Eminence plot of the the 10CX.

Attachments

• BETA 10CX.jpg
    BETA 10CX.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 656
  • bass 10cx vs 12cx.jpg
    bass 10cx vs 12cx.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 641
Why are you getting a deep notch at 550Hz with both 10CX and 12CX?

The notch is not there with Eminence plot of the the 10CX.

These are ground plane measurements and the notch is a reflection from ground (about 2m mic distance and 17-19cm from woofers midpoint to ground). These measurements were only to look the bass (below 200Hz or so...). So it is not a backwall reflection. 12-inchers prototype was 50cm deep, by the way :) .

These are ground plane measurements and the notch is a reflection from ground (about 2m mic distance and 17-19cm from woofers midpoint to ground). These measurements were only to look the bass (below 200Hz or so...). So it is not a backwall reflection. 12-inchers prototype was 50cm deep, by the way :) .

What you are describing is not a ground plane measurement. A ground plane measurement would have the microphone laying on the ground.

What you are describing is not a ground plane measurement. A ground plane measurement would have the microphone laying on the ground.

Sorry, of course the mic was laying on the ground. My bad... English is not my native language and seems like thinking and writing at the same time was too hard :) .

Anyway, that notch is a reflection from surroundings. I don't have a totally even surface, only grassy back yard of my "tool shed".

Sorry, of course the mic was laying on the ground. My bad... English is not my native language and seems like thinking and writing at the same time was too hard :) .

Anyway, that notch is a reflection from surroundings. I don't have a totally even surface, only grassy back yard of my "tool shed".

I understand. I don't English so well myself. French Creole is my first language if you can call it a language :D;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's not all that ugly. It looks like th cone had a major breakup around 2.6K. That's going to be hard on the ears, especially since you can't get out of the come much lower than that. The horn won't let you.

You may need a trap on the cone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.