The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Hallo
I am using my Elsinores with modern stereo Yamaha Receiver R-N402 with folowing ouput power.

1674558122610.png

1674560647348.png

I am afraid, if I turn volume to max, that will damage the drivers.
Does anyone have some experience?

You will probably damage your ears first. :oops:

I have used the Elsinores with amplifiers much more powerful than that.

BTW, chances are that if you turn the amplifier all up, then the amp is clipping and you will hear massive amounts of distortion, and it is the amplifier that is distorting and not the speaker. I can also tell you that you can damage nearly all speakers if you do that and that it is likely that the warranty won't cover it. They will examine the nature of the damage and reject the claim on the basis of abuse.

Always good to be selective with the volume control, no matter what amp you use.

But I suspect you will be alright.

Cheers, Joe

Joined 2014
Paid Member
That veneer work is very pretty. If you have to fill it (I suspect you are going to have to) you could use a nice contrasting dense hardwood. Maybe even make a neat pattern out of it like you see on fancy cutting boards or something. Maybe this is an opportunity, not a problem.

Beautiful veneer work BTW

Mikerodrig27,

I think ever since Joe has shared that the speakers sound better elevated by 10-15 cm, some builders (including myself) have been considering placing the XO in this "base" or free space that is outside of the main speaker cabinet.

But you are correct - Joe's XO PCB makes placing the XO inside also easy - my understanding is that the PCB with components can fit through the driver cut-outs and can be placed inside the cabinet?
I actually raised the cabinet by 15 cm (6") to put monoblock amps in there. Got quite nice! Just go fo it.

Reactions: 1 user
Both the SB26CDC and the SBxxNBAC are very much appreciated drivers in this house. I have a friend that never finished his MK5 build 8 years ago when I did build mine. Maybe I can pick up his unfinished cabinet in his basement, just to help him keep the house clean and tidy - And then build the MKSB-vesion of Elsinore. 8 years later :cool:

Looking forward to some more info!! :)