The "Elsinore Project" Thread

And you picked those up in person correct? So not shipping damage but quality control or ?

It is difficult to say what the reason is. What force would have to act to move the magnet that much? The packaging should suffer a lot somehow. I really don't know. Strange. I wrote to the store. I am waiting for a response.

Simple scenario. You collect the package from the courier. It looks ok. Then you take out the speaker boxes. You open the first, the second. Nice. So rest to the shelf. There will be time to assemble later. And then someone shows up for whom you want to demonstrate a 21st century speaker. You draw a random box. And suddenly you hear the text - why is the cone not moving?

Oops ...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is difficult to say what the reason is.

This kind of displacement in the motor assembly is uusally due to a strong conciussion — ie dropped onthe floor. If it lands on the right side the magnet or polepiece can be dislodged as you have described, but with little or no visiable damage to the box.

I have had it happen with drivers that used a magnetic slug, started packing to minimize the possibility, and have maanged to do it on some cheap 15” pro speakers, as well as a handful of other cheap drivers.

But a quality modern driver should be built and packaged to make this possibility very small. Either Purfi needs to work on their builds or your package was subjected to a huge decelaration.

dave

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I had a set of Vendersteen speakers where the woofers magnets were separating from the basket and having a similar issue. The glue in the joint had failed. It was a stamped steel basket so it was hard to reposition.

With it being an aluminum basket, if you can scoot the magnet over and put epoxy around the parameter, it may be salvageable. However, Purify or the retailer should take care of this. Who knows if the voice coil even survived.

As others have pointed out, the internal parts are glued together, this is normal and used by other drivers. I suspect that is where something has gone wrong. It's pretty rare I would think, but it can happen. I am quite sure that it would need to go back to Purifi to be fixed (Poland is at least a lot closer). But hopefully, this will be the only time Murphy will strike.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

I hope so too...once had customs in the UK open a pair of vintage compression drivers, start pulling them apart (with a screwdriver) and then dropped one of them while open onto concrete. They did not even bother putting them back together to send them on their way.

Luckily I had photos of them going into the boxes in Aus and that they were on the way to Vitavox for reconditioning because that was an enormous repair bill luckily covered by marine insurance, and Vitavox handled the entire thing for me. Would not have got a cent from insurance had it not been for those photographs and possibly the fact that the S2 drivers all have serial numbers.

I'm really interested to see if the Purifi version can/will use a smaller box and whether the tuning will be a bit higher. I almost always like a system with a quality SW so if the tuning isn't quite as low it won't matter to me. In fact I build a set of Stereo Integrity SQL 12's in anticipation of the Purifi verdict.

Almost there.

Tomorrow I may be able to get it in paint.

Attachments

• 20211129_174213.jpg
    20211129_174213.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 20211129_174303.jpg
    20211129_174303.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 20211129_174230.jpg
    20211129_174230.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 287
Scan Speak D260B/9130 wanted to be heard...

A while back I pulled the inferior drivers out of my Polk speakers and temporarily installed 2 of the SB17MFC35-8 drivers into each enclosure. That made a giant improvement in the quality of the sound from those Polk enclosures.

Then yesterday as I was moving the ScanSpeak tweeters to a different storage location I heard them cry out for action. So I pulled them out of the shipping cartons, mounted them to a couple of the SB17MFC packing boxes, attached a bit of pine board to the boxes for stability, and hooked them up to the crossovers.

The outcome is ugly and sub-optimal but boy do these systems sound great. I never thought that good drivers and a couple of good tweeters could make that much difference in the sound that I am now hearing.

Hearing the range of sound that is being delivered by the combo of drivers and crossovers has kicked me in the butt enough to cause me to stop dragging my feet and start building the Elsinore boxes!!

My setup uses an Apple MacBook Air feeding Apple Music lossless digital to a Khadas Tone 1 DAC mounted under the ACP+ The ACP+ preamp feeds my P-channel Vfet power amp.

More to come

-- Happy Jack

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 245
I'm really interested to see if the Purifi version can/will use a smaller box and whether the tuning will be a bit higher.

I am pretty sure that it will need to be tuned a bit higher and I am hoping that the volume does not need to be reduced. It seems that the Vas = 22L is what is getting attention here, but to me, it is the Q may be a bit low as that is impacted by volume as well. But I suspect the difference will be small because the resistive damping of the box means that three Q's are combining, the electrical Q of the driver, the mechanical Q of the driver, and finally the mechanical damping/Q of the box. It is the third part that I hope balances the others out OK, this has proved true in the past and the tuning gives you that final adjustment. The worst-case scenario, one I am not expecting, is that we need to do something with the internal volume and not just the tuning alone. You can always 'reduce' by some method, not the other way around - so in a long round-about-way, I am agreeing with you.

I almost always like a system with a quality SW so if the tuning isn't quite as low it won't matter to me. In fact, I build a set of Stereo Integrity SQL 12's in anticipation of the Purifi verdict.

I have a pair of SVS SB3000 subs and I can highly recommend them, especially if you can afford a pair. But the Elsinores should still have that full-range sound on their own, that comes from response down to below 30Hz in the room.

It's Dec 3rd here and I hope to have the Purifi drivers before the holidays start. It is summer here.