The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

longspeak,

Looks like you are progressing nicely! :)

For chassis, I personally prefer a little bit more depth than 300 mm - makes working inside the chassis and placing stuff easier. The Modushop chassis is available in 400 mm depth also; the larger heat-sinks will keep things slightly cooler too. 4U height is good.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thank you for the encouragement!

I ordered the PCB and parts kit, I have some K170 and J74 coming from punkydawgs. I haven't sorted the chassis and PSU yet, I'm thinking a xfmr from Antek and the 4U chassis from modushop?

If you're not in "must have it now" mode - this this is an absolutely exceptional value, IMO. Some slight mods have been done by the OP to the UMS to allow better arrangement of the F6 on the heatsinks. If you have the room for the extra depth, go for it. Any chassis you listed will work and work well, but this one allows a bit more room to grow also, if that's a consideration.

Pico's Toxic Masculinity Class A Amp Chassis

Ultimate 4U 500mm Chassis - Who is interested?

I'm the type that leaves something powered up in a cardboard box on the livingroom floor with a note that says "don't touch" - the cat can't read :D

Pico, many posts back you mentioned possibly trying some Exicon laterals, did you ever try them?

csample says he is going to make a bi-polar psu board similar to his F1/F1J design (F1 or F1J Amp and Power Supply Boards with UMS Mounting Pattern Group Buy) so I'm going to wait and get a couple of them.

Last edited:
So going back a few posts to the heat sink message where it was said that the 4U unit did not run hot..I'm looking for some feedback. I want to make mine 2U high and have found some heatsinks that extend out twice as far as the DIYAudio heatsinks. Temp coefficient for the sink is .35C/W I was thinking this should work OK. Does anyone have any comments on that? Thanks in advnce for any feedback.