The diyAudio First Watt M2x

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
703099d1536783023-diyaudio-watt-m2x-boardset-jpg

Just taking a moment to look at the boards - beautiful!

For those curious, the daughtercards are, from left to right;

Ishikawa, Austin, Norwood, Mountain View, Tucson

You can click into the photos and see the names printed on the boards themselves... neat!

Well, I'm trying to put orders from Mouser... no idea if they will ship here to Ecuador.

Still, some troubles along the way... most have been solvable.

I'm a bit stuck with Norwood. C4 is not in stock and is also near its End Of Life. I cannot find a suitable C0G/NP0 replacement. This is the part I mean: 81-GRM3195C1H393GA1D.

I have looked into possible replacements, but the closest one is C0G but not NP0. The ones that read C0G/NP0 are not 1206 in size. What could be an option?

Also, I'm by no means a lazy person. Just really new to this and selecting resistors is really a long and sometimes confusing process, especially for those of us that are not immediately familiar with all the specs and brands. It's tricky to keep an eye on all the variables (including size!). Perhaps some good Samaritan could update the BOMs with some 'good starting points' for the resistors, and we could evolve from there?

Thanks in advanced,
Rafa.

edit: 863-BAS116LT1G (D1 and D2 from Norwood) is also out of stock, with "Manufacturing delays have been reported on this product." and a 36 weeks wait. That's over 6 months! :) It looks like Norwood would have to stay silent for quite a while :(

Last edited:
I was able to find replacements for everything on the BOM except for C4 on the Norwood board. Figured I would pick it up on a later order once it is in stock. All the comparable ones were also out of stock. Since Norwood is SMD, I was going to solder it last after I had some practice with soldering SMD parts.

Thanks for the options! I'll add them to the Project. I think that covers Norwood.

Now on to Mountain View (the one I was more interested in actually):
- J1: This is a bummer... The N Channel JFET 112 (512-J112) is also out of stock, I think there is no option but to wait out on that one :( , right?
- Also Q1-Q3, the NPN BJTs (512-KSC3503DS) are out of stock till november
- C1 220U Non-polar CAP is also out of stock (PN: 647-UES1A221MPM), and this one reads "Bi-Polarized for Audio Equipment". I also cannot seem to find a replacement of the same characteristics. Maybe 667-ECE-A1AN221U? I am a bit confused as the BOM calls for a non-polar capacitor, yet the very description of them says Bi-polar caps... I take it they are both the same, right?

I know these may seem trivial to most here. For those unaware, I am ordering to ship abroad into South America. While for most this is a simple case of: "ok, I order what is available and then will pick the missing parts later", for me every 'pick up later' costs $30+ per shipment + about a month of actual shipping time + another month of internal customs process. So 'picking it up later down the road' is considerably different here than for most.

Thanks once more! A lot! Best regards,
Rafa.

Last edited:
The non-polar Nichicon is on back order, but delivery date is shown as Sept 24, just 11 days from now.

However, this would be a suitable replacement -

ECE-A1AN221U Panasonic | Mouser
Great! Thanks! Added to the projects, but yes, given the small wait on this one, it may very well be worth the time.

The other Mtn View Transistors were the ones a bit 'more' delayed.

Thanks!
Rafa.

For those who wish to experiment with gold plating the Mountain View input stage, let me gently suggest "Moffett Field" (an airport inside the Mountain View city limits, where Sergey Brin of Google keeps his personal Boeing 767 airplane).

1. Start with the Mountain View schematic.
  2. Discard Q2 and Q3 and R4 (node "EMIT" disappears)
  3. Connect C1 to node "SOURCE" instead
  4. Replace J1 with three Fairchild J113 (not J112) JFET devices, connected in parallel. Call them "J1a, J1b, J1c".
  5. Hand test and match J1a, J1b, J1c so their IDSS values are within 10%. Any IDSS greater than 7mA will be fine, but make sure all three JFETs have the same IDSS.
  6. Modify the bias network (Q1 + R3 + crud on the left) of constant current source Q3. Change it in such a way that the current in Q3 is a constant 20 milliamps, pulled from the parallel connection of J1a-J1c. I.e. each of the three parallel JFETs carries 6.67mA of bias current. Make this 20mA independent of temperature and independent of supply voltage, to the extent possible.
Interested builders can fill in the details as they see fit. This may be an opportunity to get rid of the much-maligned MV5075C LED and its horrible "do not substitute" requirement in the BOM.

~
Was this ever evolved into a final design? Or does the 'blank' area requires the builder to figure it out?

Thanks!
Rafa.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Norwood's "C4" is a 39nF ceramic capacitor in the 1206 package, using the C0G/NP0 dielectric. Voltage rating is unimportant in the circuit application where C4 appears. As we all know there is a global supply crunch in ceramic capacitors and this cap apparently is no exception.

Mouser seems to have a few of this part number 80-C1206C393J5G in stock today, and 2500 more coming in May of next year. DigiKey seems to have zero of them. Highly motivated people can check octopart.com and findchips.com to see stock levels at other distributors. Thus diyAudio members now find themselves in the same situation as the rest of the electronics industry: plenty of demand for capacitors, but very little supply.

Fortunately all of us diyAudio members watched the Clint Eastwood movie "Heartbreak Ridge", and we agree with drill Sergeant Clint's motto: We improvise, we adapt, we overcome! If you can't find a 39nF 1206 C0G/NP0 capacitor for C4, you could consider the following improvisations and adaptations.

1. You could attempt to solder a 39nF C0G/NP0 thru hole capacitor to the PCB in place of C4.

2. You could buy and use a 39nF 1206 film capacitor in place of C4, even if its tolerance was as high as 10%

3. You could buy and use a 39nF 1206 ceramic capacitor made of X7R dielectric rather than C0G/NP0, even if its tolerance was as high as 10%

4. You could do one of the above stunts, using a different value of capacitance than 39nF. For example Mouser says they have 100 different part numbers in stock, of 1206 ceramic capacitor with C0G/NP0 dielectric, whose values are between 33nF and 47nF.

None of these improvisations are optimum, none would be my first choice (obviously, since my first choice is in the BOM already), but they might be second-best in the current demand crunch. Certainly they'll all allow Norwood to play music, and there is every reason to hope & expect they'll play music just about as beautifully as the cap in the BOM. No guarantees but high expectations.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Norwood D1-D2 will be perfectly happy with any diode satisfying these requirements
  • base part number is "BAS116"
  • comes in the correct package (SOT-23-3)
  • has the correct pinout, i.e., whose pinout matches the pinout of the diode called for in the Bill Of Materials.
The important specifications for this diode are leakage current (as low as possible) and capacitance (as low as possible). Forward voltage is completely unimportant. Don't bother to consider a diode with a different pinout, you'll never succeed in soldering it to Norwood.

Isn't it exciting, dealing with the real-life complexity of the world we live in? Isn't it FUN?!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If anybody has successfully designed, built, and tested a Moffett Field version of the Mountain View input stage, they haven't told me about it. I haven't done so myself, simply because I don't feel any urgency at all, to replace the six different input stages I've already got. (I'm counting SMD-Tucson and THT-Tucson separately).

Norwood's "C4" is a 39nF ceramic capacitor in the 1206 package, using the C0G/NP0 dielectric. Voltage rating is unimportant in the circuit application where C4 appears. As we all know there is a global supply crunch in ceramic capacitors and this cap apparently is no exception.

Mouser seems to have a few of this part number 80-C1206C393J5G in stock today, and 2500 more coming in May of next year. DigiKey seems to have zero of them. Highly motivated people can check octopart.com and findchips.com to see stock levels at other distributors. Thus diyAudio members now find themselves in the same situation as the rest of the electronics industry: plenty of demand for capacitors, but very little supply.

Fortunately all of us diyAudio members watched the Clint Eastwood movie "Heartbreak Ridge", and we agree with drill Sergeant Clint's motto: We improvise, we adapt, we overcome! If you can't find a 39nF 1206 C0G/NP0 capacitor for C4, you could consider the following improvisations and adaptations.

1. You could attempt to solder a 39nF C0G/NP0 thru hole capacitor to the PCB in place of C4.

2. You could buy and use a 39nF 1206 film capacitor in place of C4, even if its tolerance was as high as 10%

3. You could buy and use a 39nF 1206 ceramic capacitor made of X7R dielectric rather than C0G/NP0, even if its tolerance was as high as 10%

4. You could do one of the above stunts, using a different value of capacitance than 39nF. For example Mouser says they have 100 different part numbers in stock, of 1206 ceramic capacitor with C0G/NP0 dielectric, whose values are between 33nF and 47nF.

None of these improvisations are optimum, none would be my first choice (obviously, since my first choice is in the BOM already), but they might be second-best in the current demand crunch. Certainly they'll all allow Norwood to play music, and there is every reason to hope & expect they'll play music just about as beautifully as the cap in the BOM. No guarantees but high expectations.
What about parallel assembly of two capacitors with a total of 39n ? can be an alternative?