The Dayton point-source and wide-range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Simple matter of taste?:rolleyes:

Don't think so, rather would say that flat response is only good for a true point source driver and a true point source is an impossibly small driver, in real life these smallish under 3' Frs are tweeters or mid tweeters.

The bigger the driver, especially over 2', the worst sounds a flat axial response, because the duller it sounds no matter of taste: they suck simply because too lacking of hf energy in reverberated soundfield..:smash:

Flat no good for FRS!

We said functionally the same thing; you, me and the other more technically knowledgeable know the why, but to the layman it's probably just a matter of taste.

Depends, the late, exceedingly rare, Babb Lorelei used an interesting grill/phase plug, diaphragm construction to get a very wide ~flat power response out to 20 kHz [actually too wide for me in my LEDE room] from a 4.5"? dia. [can't easily get to it to measure] most 'full-range' driver we're likely to see anytime soon.

GM

Attachments

• kangling front3.jpg
    kangling front3.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 432
Dayton does make good drivers, but their fullrangers are not those. They suck. But their multway drivers are quiet decent quality and their subwoofers are among the better that are not very expensive.

But for decent fullrange drivers that are not overly expensive, better look at Mark Audio, Fostex, Tangband, Peerless/Vifa, Foundtek, Scanspeak, ... They all do it a lot better.

LaVoce at Parts Express, offers some interesting looking drivers - I've piddled with this 3 inch driver in a cardboard mess with slot filter.

LaVoce also has a fine looking 6.5" 97dB rated midrange for $60

LaVoce FSF030.70 3" Ferrite Full-Range Woofer 8 Ohm
Which driver is this midrange? I've seen the specs of their midbass drivers, they have fine 6.5" midbass models.

Dayton does make good drivers, but their fullrangers are not those. They suck. But their multway drivers are quiet decent quality and their subwoofers are among the better that are not very expensive.

But for decent fullrange drivers that are not overly expensive, better look at Mark Audio, Fostex, Tangband, Peerless/Vifa, Foundtek, Scanspeak, ... They all do it a lot better.

Where can I source the Mark Audio Alpair 10.3 100mm 8ohm 30W 87.988dB in UK ?

Alpair 10.3 | Markaudio

I found them on the the website of Mark Audio but I can't seem to find them online and what's odd is that I couldn't find it for sale in USA nor Europe online. It's as if this driver doesn't exist. What am I missing here ?

Alpair 10.3 | Markaudio

I found them on the the website of Mark Audio but I can't seem to find them online and what's odd is that I couldn't find it for sale in USA nor Europe online. It's as if this driver doesn't exist. What am I missing here ?

Mark Audio 10.3 Gold

Mark Audio 10.3 Grey

Alpair 10.3 | Markaudio

Sound import has them in stock and ships to the UK.

Markaudio Alpair-10 Gold woofer kopen? - SoundImports

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.