The Dayton point-source and wide-range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was going by memory as I no longer have Alpair 10.3s but I recall they had a bit more high freq output than the paper coned 10s. The latter are a bit more laid back as a result and some may feel they need tweeter assistance. I’ve sometimes used Dayton AMTs with them.

Actually the Alpair 10P and 10.3 sound quite different.

- The Alpair 10P midrange is smoother and more prominent, and the HF output is softer/less vs the 10.3. Some folks find the Alpair 10P slightly soft and recessed.

- The Alpair 10.3 treble is more extended, and sounds brighter vs the 10P.

No experience with the TB W5-2143, but read that it is a good sounding driver.

p.s. looks like luigi and I cross posted.

It really is a great driver, especially for the price.
I sold my Alpair 10.3s not long after getting the W5-2143s and while I muss and fuss with other full rangers the TB is my go-to transducer for mains.
I guess there are probly better full range drivers out there, especially if price no object, but this one ticks most of the boxes, and represents amazing value to my mind.

I'm currently using a pair of these BG 13 P - 8 Ohm | Visaton in a simple open baffle on top of a 2x10" H frame bass "cabinet".

Not the smoothest driver but with suitable music they're not bad for £12 each, I've used a first order high pass at around 400 Hz with the H frame rolling off around 200 Hz.

Sensitivity must be about 90+ db/watt as I'm getting substantial levels in a 7 m x 4 m room with a 30 WPC integrated.

PS180 should also play well in GregB's Karlsonator6 which is tuned to ~60Hz.
Just started educating myself about this topology. Do you have a link to the K6? I previously shied away from cutting angles except the 90 degree one 😀 (K speakers look to have a few) but recently played a bit with my circular saw and can get the angles okay with a bit of trial and error on some scrap.

Or you can just make them out of foamboard 1cm and use a scalpel-type knife; makes it much easier and you can get a v good idea of the sound quality (I'm not bothering to try to take this any further with wood!).
I never thought I would do anything other than 90 degree angles either...until I did. Foamboard building is good fun. And no dust either.

Here's how my first effort came out. Be sure to follow XRK970's how-to instructions; or at least read through them before commencing and you will avoid lots of little pitfalls.
Im onto my second pair now, using firm foam this time, 1.2cm.

Attachments

• Eiffel tower spkers- how CJ likes them.jpg
    Eiffel tower spkers- how CJ likes them.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 143
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.