The Burning Amp Festival-Burning Gadgets Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Variac - what I have in TTs right now is nothing really too special. My main one is a Kenwood KD2055 with a Grado Gold. I'm reluctant to budge it from the living room. If I do bring a TT, it'll probably be my old Technics SL-DL1 linear tracker with a Grado Black, a solid but proletarian performer. Also, given the rough-and -ready field situation, a whole lot less likely to screw up someone's vinyl.

Yes of course. I forgot about RAID completely !
Drives are pretty cheap here also ( relatively speaking ). 160 Gb is about $60/- , and 320 Gb for $90/- . 500 is available but I'm not sure how much it costs .

You guys have a fantastic collection of DIY equipment for the 'meet'. Feel terrible that I can't make it this time.:bawling:

I notice the expenses are still not covered completely . Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Cheers,
Ashok.

As my entry in the guest list states, I am still not certain if I can be there. If I am then I will be bringing my Aleph-X 100W monoblocks. Here is the thread describing them:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73543

I realize that the original Aleph-X is now becoming old news but it's a circuit/project that still has a large following and still generates considerable interest. I have told AR2 that I don't really need to be on the schedule and that I'm happy to bring them as a static display. However, someone else may be interested in listening.

Cheers,
Graeme

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I haven't ever heard an Aleph!!! Let alone an Aleph X..
Please bring them I will stick them into a system so that they can be auditioned.

Nelson seems to still hold them in high regard, and the mini aleph is still a popular project! I like your open type amp construction with a twist--unusual heatsinks... You will know what I mean when you see my F4.

Speaking of Nelson, Are you driving down with him? It would be very helpful if you can confirm your attendance so I can place your amp..

Variac..

Hi Variac,

Wow. Your enthusiasm is infectious and your encouragement will fuel my efforts to make this happen. Thank you.

Regarding Nelson; I have heard from him indirectly but I need to email him to explore the possibility of driving down together. I don't know his schedule or whether or not he has other plans for the trip. This possibility only came up yesterday. He is at the RMAF and may be hard to get in touch with. I've heard he's bringing lots of stuff so there may not be room.

Cheers,
Graeme

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
He's planning to arrive at 8 AM Sunday. I wonder what godforsaken hour you guys will have to leave in the morning from that thar hill country. You do the math..

He will be arriving with a bunch of toroid transformers, heatsinks, etc, like an Audio Fanatic Santie Claus, so maybe there is a space problem, but he mentioned somehing about a "pickup" and he mentioned that you would prob be coming...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:
Hi Choky,

Why would that be? You have the same access to the man that I would. ;)

-Chris

but I can't make Papa's neck blue ..... neither on Sunday nor Saturday.....

(maybe next year.......... just imagine : nameless serbian terrorist , butchered all BAF visitors ,except Papa ; with Dirty H. look , telling him just one line : " now you tell me everything you know............" .........)

:devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
Well if you are gonna act like that, then we won't invite you , so there!:whazzat:

This year toward midnight we will keep feeding him fine wine- and then the interrogation starts... ;)

why your edit action isn't noted in cursive ,as for everyone else..........?
:D

anyway- I wasn't mention my name ............ you didn't think on ,say, AR2 ?

:devilr:

I am going to try to bring the following:
1. Zen V9
2. Integrated Gainclone, NOSDAC and SB3
3. Tripath 2020 amp with SMPS power supply.

And some pictures

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 416
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
I haven't ever heard an Aleph!!! Let alone an Aleph X..
Please bring them I will stick them into a system so that they can be auditioned.

Variac..

I know - old and well known pic .......

but maybe good for solving two things ..... ya can hear proper Aleph and solve quick snack issue for all visitors .......

Attachments

• aleph3e.jpg
    aleph3e.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 421
Here is the schematic for the output buffer the preamp I'm bringing. As mentioned before, it is a MOSFET source follower with current sink loading using a PNP Darlingtonand 100% local feedback to boost the effective Gm of the MOSFET. I picked up the idea subliminally here on this list, not understanding the schematic at first, as the original poster included cascoding. I opted for the simpler implementation, as simulations showed the cascode version of this circuit as a maddeningly persistent HF oscillator. I won't show any pictures of the completed preamp, as who really needs to see a stock Ten-Tec box with some knobs hanging off of it? When I settle for an RIAA preamp and buffer that I can really live with, I'll opt for a nicer case. At this point, the preamp is still a work in process.

Attachments

• super_buffer_sch.gif
    super_buffer_sch.gif
    48 KB · Views: 392
Status
Not open for further replies.