The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fourth Annual Burning Amp Festival!! Saturday, October 30, 2010
This year -2010- I got rooms in San Francisco at Fort Mason.
4 listening rooms, a hospitality room with beer, wine and food, and a room for presentations..

Now a system can be set up in one of the listening rooms and be auditioned all through the day like a conventional audio show.

Great presentations in the 100 person lecture room.Presenters to TBA
Accessible with public transit, plenty of parking, and right on the bay.

Plus its the day before Halloween, costumes optional...

Mark

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Fourth Annual Burning Amp Festival!! October 30, 2010
4 listening rooms, a hospitality room with beer, wine and food, and a room for presentations..

Now systems can be set up in one of the listening rooms and be auditioned all through the day like a conventional audio show.

Great presentations in the 100 person lecture room.Presenters to TBA
Accessible with public transit, plenty of parking, and right on the bay.

Plus its the day before Halloween, costumes optional...

Mark

Count me in!

jd

This year I'm gonna make it -- I plan on wearing my bobsled outfit for Haloween:

Attachments

1.3 KB · Views: 205
Fourth Annual Burning Amp Festival!! Saturday, October 30, 2010

Now a system can be set up in one of the listening rooms and be auditioned all through the day like a conventional audio show.

Great presentations in the 100 person lecture room. Presenters to TBA. Accessible with public transit, plenty of parking, and right on the bay.

Plus its the day before Halloween, costumes optional ... Mark

Same as original rooms for BAF #1 ? ... (Google Map "Fort Mason California" = Bring camera = A fantastic location = Best views of SF Bay, lots of sailboats, etc. :drink: :up: )

If so: High ceilings, very bright acoustics ... Time to break out the DIY listening room treatments ? Got a floor plan sketch ? (I've got a bunch of stuff I can bring like futon foam, etc. :vampire:)

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, it IS Almost Halloween in SF!!
However I'm not planning on any crossdressing personally-My wife is a foot shorter than I so it would actually require effort to put together..
I guess costumes of so sort will be around. Maybe I'll come as an Audio Geek.

Its funny, Nordstroms department store here gets a huge supply of pumps in October. My sister has big feet and she always goes out shopping for shoes then! So 11 1/2 no problem! Nordstroms, pricey though.. but if you want to look good...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Same as original rooms for BAF #1 ? ... (Google Map "Fort Mason California" = Bring camera = A fantastic location = Best views of SF Bay, lots of sailboats, etc. :drink: :up: )

If so: High ceilings, very bright acoustics ... Time to break out the DIY listening room treatments ? Got a floor plan sketch ? (I've got a bunch of stuff I can bring like futon foam, etc. :vampire:)

It IS a great location, and the views will still be great- especially in the Hospitality Room. A bit of extra expense for all the rooms, and we need licensed bartender with insurance, that has to be pricey! BUT we will have our own bar with beer and wine, and the proceeds will pay the bartender and not the building management. And food of course!

It will not be the same rooms. I have wanted to return to Ft Mason for the reasons FastEddy mentions but I wanted more, and smaller rooms..

The had meeting rooms available but - "no amplified sound allowed" THEN it occurred to me that we could rent the whole suite of rooms, and sound wouldn't annoy anyone. The management went for it.

However, we are now about a hundred feet away from the Firehouse we had before, and on the second floor of an old military office building.

For that inconvenience though we get the 3 large and one smaller listening rooms plus the large Hospitality room and the very large presentation room.

So while the rooms are smaller than the main Firehouse room, they are still quite large. It will be easy to have a system on each end of the room. Chairs and tables are supplied so we can have plenty.

The structure and walls are concrete. The rooms have sloped tall ceilings ,
The floor has carpeting, thank god, but not much padding under.

Bigger rooms in general are easier to deal with so that will help. Last time at the firehouse, we lined the lower walls with moving blankets, and it made an amazing difference. This time we will need to do something similar. My first plan is to order enough tables to line the walls and put a moving blanket on top of each one draped on the front down to the floor. That should give is lots of display space, plus the blankets will absorb a lot of sound in that configuration- I think. . Lots of chairs will disperse the sound..

No doubt we will need an organized team of volunteers to whip things into shape so please contact me when I put out the word. It will be fun though I'm sure. I just need to order about a gross of moving blankets. Any more damping material could only help!

Mark

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.