The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Thanks to lutkeveld i will soon get 4 pieces of HP10W drivers.
I could not find any PHT-407N tweeters so it will be the Monacor MPT-001 from Thoman (they also have the 10" speaker grill).

I am now looking for a fitting Amp to use the full potential of the Boominator. I could not find the recommended amp9 anywhere but here should be some other more modern solutions available nowadays.

Saturnus wrote that one driver can take a maximum of 50Wrms in the Boominator (30Wrms without the input cap modification of the amp9)

The TPA3255 looks like the best fit, plenty of power and i can easily build a custom 8-12s battery with 18650 cells to drive it at 36-48V.

Le deuxième choix serait le JAB3 +, il a un DSP intégré mais je ne sais pas s'il a assez de puissance. Peut-être en utiliser 2 pour 4x50W mais ils sont déjà assez chers et ça va devenir compliqué à utiliser avec le bluetooth.

Peut-être qu'un JAB5 en mode 2.0 serait une meilleure option, mais je ne suis pas sûr de la charge minimale de 6 ohms.

Qu'en pensez-vous?

TPA3255
19-48V
2x260W@4ohm

JAB3+
12-26V
2x50W@4ohm
PSD

JAB5
10-39V
4x100W/2x200W@6ohm
PSD

TPA3516
12-24V
2x100W@4ohm

MA12070
15-19V
2x80W@4ohm
Bru5 (DSP and Bluetooth)

TPA3255, Module 2.0 stéréo haute puissance avec Interface de réglage DSP
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqzLjhm

It would be ideal to remove the cover to dissipate the heat if the amp is used a lot.

Last edited:
They do sound good. I've never spent much time with the Soundboks but hear they focus on loud. :)

We haven't heard from Saturnus in many years. Does anyone know if he is still with Soundboks? I hope all is well with him.

As an FYI - I still have a drivers in the USA (bass and tweeters) to make a couple more boomboxes. Shipping outside the USA is cost prohibitive.

Just because of this "Boominator" the price of a very simple chassis quadrupled. I'm quite sure there are other chassis out there that will do just as good or better, for a more reasonable price. For 1 of these steal basket thingies I can buy 2x 12" cast basket PA chassis. Maybe one should think about it before ordering.
An idea would be to have a peek at
https://www.thomann.de/de/10_zoll_lautsprecher.html?oa=pra&gk=PALPLK10&sp=solr&cme=false&filter=true
for people in Europe and Brexitania.

I would strongly discourage anyone from selecting a random driver and expecting to have anything remotely close to the Boominator's performance.

The original drivers and some limited substitutes are the only options. Initially the drivers were readily available and low cost. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

It’s a real pity that there isn’t a separate forum for ‘portable’ sound’ and that this thread is tucked away in classD amps, could have easily gone to ‘digital source’ because of the Bluetooth, or ‘tools’ because you’re using a battery drill to construct it.
So this mammoth thread has been the go to thread for portable sound systems, except you can only talk about one design, that has been abandoned by the original author, and not everyone wanted a 25kg ‘portable’ box, (which is how the boominator mini came about after all). And judging by how popular those shitty Bluetooth speakers are, (okay, some are pretty good). There is clearly a demand for diy boomboxes but it hasn’t found a home on diyaudio, and I’m not saying it’s anyone’s fault, just that it’s a shame it has developed this way.

Just because of this "Boominator" the price of a very simple chassis quadrupled. I'm quite sure there are other chassis out there that will do just as good or better, for a more reasonable price. For 1 of these steal basket thingies I can buy 2x 12" cast basket PA chassis. Maybe one should think about it before ordering.
An idea would be to have a peek at
https://www.thomann.de/de/10_zoll_lautsprecher.html?oa=pra&gk=PALPLK10&sp=solr&cme=false&filter=true
for people in Europe and Brexitania.
People have tried, and failed miserably... the boominator was designed and tuned around the exact parameters of 3 different drivers... all of which are now discontinued.... tweak all you like but you won't get the same volume or quality in the same compact unit...

I had a look at the original speaker TSP and data sheet. Nothing really special. It should be possible to find a close replacement.
The problem is that such speaker often have no data published, as they are used for cheap cabinets. Industry chassis. Which will be found in instrument boxes like bass or guitar cabinets. Loud, no low bass.
Because of the outside use of the Bominator there is no low frequency reproduction needed / possible. Such speakers are not found in the HIFI DIYS market.

PS did anyone do independent TSP measurements of the chassis?