The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

You need to combine the near field woofer response with the port response to get a correct reading. The graph you get now should be almost equivalent to the sealed response of the woofer. In a ported system the low end is supported by the output of the port in resonance, which you are not measuring now.

Overall its best to measure far field in a big empty space outdoors.

You need to combine the near field woofer response with the port response to get a correct reading. The graph you get now should be almost equivalent to the sealed response of the woofer. In a ported system the low end is supported by the output of the port in resonance, which you are not measuring now.

Overall its best to measure far field in a big empty space outdoors.

That's quite a bit of work, but I'll consider it, if someone has a graph I can compare to :)

Can you comment on the leak around woofers?

Play some very low notes, and unless you can hear it wheezing I wouldnt worry.

I'll try this when i get home.

I've seen filters uploaded for the boominator - Can't remember if this is for the signature version. But it showed a coil in series with the woofers, which will lower the efficiency - but enhance the bass peformance.

Maybe i should try it. :)

Thanks for replying guys.

Here's the correct filter

I'm talking about this one. But I guess it won't work in my configuration, as I'd get a different setup (Attached)

Edit: (I know it won't work - so I'll stay with my current configuration, and hope somebody will see this thread with a magic suggestion. I mean - it sounds great, I'm just not blown away :) )

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
A coil in series with the woofer is simply a low pass filter, ie it doesn't pass high frequencies. It doesn't enhance bass, it does lower efficiency, but all crossover components do that, so not something to get cut up about.
It is a little bit hard to know if there is an actual problem with the bass response based on your feelings of disappointment, you have to remember that the boominator was always designed as an outdoor speaker with minimal response below 100Hz, and the driver itself is a PA driver, high sensitivity and Fs so not a natural bass machine. However they are still 10" drivers so not completely useless, and reversed polarity is a always a good candidate, how did you check polarity? The foolproof way is to play a bass note and compare output from two drivers and swapping polarity on one driver, the difference will be very obvious and ignores speaker markings which can sometimes be wrong.

A coil in series with the woofer is simply a low pass filter, ie it doesn't pass high frequencies. It doesn't enhance bass, it does lower efficiency, but all crossover components do that, so not something to get cut up about.
It is a little bit hard to know if there is an actual problem with the bass response based on your feelings of disappointment, you have to remember that the boominator was always designed as an outdoor speaker with minimal response below 100Hz, and the driver itself is a PA driver, high sensitivity and Fs so not a natural bass machine. However they are still 10" drivers so not completely useless, and reversed polarity is a always a good candidate, how did you check polarity? The foolproof way is to play a bass note and compare output from two drivers and swapping polarity on one driver, the difference will be very obvious and ignores speaker markings which can sometimes be wrong.

Yea i completely dropped the idea about a filter :)

It's not like I'm disappointed - I just have this feeling that the boominator would perform better than mine do. I found a post from a long time ago #3876, where there's a guy saying that a JVC boomblaster outperforms his boominator - And i feel the same way about mine. (People commented that there's definitly something wrong then).

I tested polarity by tapping the speaker terminals with an AA battery, and checking that all speakers move outwards.

I know that it's impossible to describe the bass performance of both how mine sounds, and what it should sound like. That's why i tried asking about the air-tightness of the box :)

I've thought about this some more.

My plan is to fully design the electronics department, so it's all handy and organised. This will make it feel nicer overall. I'll be sure to include everything from thick power cables to good jack-connections.

When I'm done, I'll take my computer, measurement microphone and the boominator to an open field, and do a real measurement and some listening.

Regarding the JVC boomblaster, I've had a rethink. I haven't listened to these side-by-side, and I think I'm comparing "Super mega bassboost mode" at lower volumes to pure SPL-
nearly flat' response of the boominator. I'm actually certain, that that my boominator would completely drown out a JVC, if I put it next to it. :)

If Saturnus reads this - I'm sorry for showing disappointment in the boominator. It has been awesome to me and my friends, and it still is. Sometime my head just get caught up in something, and I'm not really able to let it go again.

Sometime my head just get caught up in something, and I'm not really able to let it go again.

There are some excellent drugs that can help you with that, nowadays.

I'm certainly not going to try to put you off practising your measuring skills, but in the end it is a 10" crossed to a piezo, it is not "best" hifi practise, there's not really much that measuring will reveal that using your ears can't tell you. If you're not happy with the response then there might be something wrong so worth investigating, but ultimately there are limits to its capabilities.

Regarding the JVC boomblaster, I've had a rethink. I haven't listened to these side-by-side, and I think I'm comparing "Super mega bassboost mode" at lower volumes to pure SPL-
nearly flat' response of the boominator. I'm actually certain, that that my boominator would completely drown out a JVC, if I put it next to it. :)

All you need is some kind of "loudness" to boost your bass response at lower volume while maintaining max spl capability at higher volume levels. This can i.e. been done by the help of an DSP like the ADAU1701 (ready made from Wondom/Sure). Nearly all small bluetooth speakers at the market do so, beside some more psychoacoustic tricks (i.e. adding harmonics to provide some "fakebass")

There are some excellent drugs that can help you with that, nowadays.

I'm certainly not going to try to put you off practising your measuring skills, but in the end it is a 10" crossed to a piezo, it is not "best" hifi practise, there's not really much that measuring will reveal that using your ears can't tell you. If you're not happy with the response then there might be something wrong so worth investigating, but ultimately there are limits to its capabilities.

:D:D

That's a measurement would be a way for me to determine if there actually is a problem to investigate :)

All you need is some kind of "loudness" to boost your bass response at lower volume while maintaining max spl capability at higher volume levels. This can i.e. been done by the help of an DSP like the ADAU1701 (ready made from Wondom/Sure). Nearly all small bluetooth speakers at the market do so, beside some more psychoacoustic tricks (i.e. adding harmonics to provide some "fakebass")

I will look into this, if I'm not satisfied after my testing :)

As i posted before, I have all the drivers for the Boominator Lite build (using the S2010 not the discontinued p.audio 10" mid bass). I'm getting confused as far as how to wire the drivers with the passive filter components. Can someone please clarify this for me?
I'm also not sure about which amp to buy. Would a 2 x 100W TPA3116 do the job? If so, does anyone have a link? It would be a plus if it has bluetooth. Thanks in advance.

As i posted before, I have all the drivers for the Boominator Lite build (using the S2010 not the discontinued p.audio 10" mid bass). I'm getting confused as far as how to wire the drivers with the passive filter components. Can someone please clarify this for me?
I'm also not sure about which amp to buy. Would a 2 x 100W TPA3116 do the job? If so, does anyone have a link? It would be a plus if it has bluetooth. Thanks in advance.

Do you have a drawing of the filter? I'll make a wire-diagram for you then.

The boominator is not designed for over 50W. As far as i know, it has to do with the maximum air-flow of the port.

Wow, almost 700 pages. Wow.
The Boominator seems to be exactly what I was starting to dream up. I think it would be a far, far better plan for me to just buy parts and follow plans for something that already works.
Somewhere back in the hundreds of pages is there a good place for me to start for an American version? I've been looking and searching, but not finding it.
Thanks.

Had my first audio test the other day on my new built Boominator - seems that cabling, crossover etc all worked out fine :) but still need tweaking, installation of the stuff inside the electronics compartment (including GPS, light controller, solar charge module...) and finish/paint job...

Bought a bunch of AliExpress amps just to see how each model performs
Tests with my TDA7498E running at 24volt plays well and has around 250ma draw. seems to cause some kind of distortion when trying to push it a bit (measuring ~106dB@1m using an iphone app...) maybe it’s a clipping issue...yeah I know I’m a noob :)
Any suggestions on what to try out here? Would it be a safe idea to crank up the voltage to 32volt as reducing the gain did not seem to fix the issue?
High Power Digital Amplifier Board 160W+160W Dual Channel Audio Stereo Power Amplifier Board Module TDA7498E -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Will need to test if the same issue occurs on the other amps - e.g. this one
Aiyima TPA3116 Bluetooth 4.2 Digital Amplifier Board 50W*2 Dual Channel 2.0 Audio Amplificador With Volume Adjustment DC12 24V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And then I might also end up buying a maxamp20 just for the reference to the “standard design” to be able to compare volume and sound. I’m just thinking that anno 2019 should have brought other options to the table in a 24v setup that performs just as well (except for power consumption naturally) Any suggestions here would be very much appreciated.

@frank4570: I would actually recommend browsing through the first many pages and from there narrow in on the specific topics as you go along...I’m still a noob here so can’t be very concreate. If you have specific questions I’m sure here is help to get here.

Thanks again for a great forum and even though I look into a bit of tuning I’m VERY happy that we built our own speaker and I’m sure it will kick even more @&$€ when fully done :)

Last edited:
I generally bring the boomy inside the tent when it's bedtime, or just throw a towel over it which covers the ports.

the only critters really would be snakes, but I'm not too worried as they generally stay clear of humans ( unless we are encroaching on their space before setup time), but once camp is setup, it's all go :)

Spiders are everywhere anyway, so I don't worry about them, only the really big fury ones :)

There is probably a greater chance that someone would steal the boominator rather than a python getting snugly with the woofers :)

I am sure I have transported a few lizards/Geko's in the Boomy from house - campsite and back again lol.

I haven't found a USB charger yet that DOESN"T create digital noise through the amplifier yet. Maybe i have it grounded too much.

Mate, I'm sure you'll give any huntsman or redback a concussion if they crawl into the port :)